Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As Pentaxian, if you were to jump ship, Nikon, Canon, Sony, or?

As Pentaxian.... we like our Pentax, the feel of holding a solid camera, the design, the size, the 'colors', the menu, the limiteds, the uniqueness, ...

If a Pentaxian want to jump ship (well, mainly for full-frame offer), which other company have the closest 'feel' to Pentax?
Which company product will make the easiest transition for Pentaxian?
Anyone know which company have the most Pentaxian make the switch?

Canon, Nikon, Sony, or... Leica?

Just wondering.

05-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In my limited experience Nikon is the closest to Pentax in terms of layout, design, ergonomics and the logic used in the menu's. Personally I could never switch to a Canon as I find their products too fiddly...

If you are thinking of switching rather go and hire your target cameras for a day and try them out as there is nothing like hands on...
05-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon. Why would I want a camera from a copier company?

Oh, wait...
05-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I don't know the feel of the Leica, loved my Canon, but IMHO I think the feel of the Nikons are a bit closer to the Pens. As far as Sony, their slogan should be, 'Make believe... our products are any good.'. My Sony Alpha A200 broke down in under 2 years. It was a manufacturing flaw(usb cable port). Talked to four Sony reps. The first three swore they would fix it, but insisted on sending me usb cables first. A month and a half later of cables being sent and the warranty running out, the fourth rep told me I was out of luck. When asking about buying the SLT A55(just being released), the rep told me I would need the longest warranty possible, 'for that camera' and 'when' something went wrong, try getting them to honor it. I would never buy a substandard product like that again. On the other hand, I should thank Sony, they were the reason I bought my K20d new, a couple weeks later.

05-15-2012, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I don't "jump ship" or switch brands. I supplement my tools with other appropriate tools. My K20D is my only dSLR. Most of my zillions of lenses could be used on Canon or Sony dSLRs; a fair number can fit Nikon; and everything could mount on a NEX or m4/3 or NX or whatever -- so I'm not *tied* to Pentax.

I really am brand-agnostic. I select tools by their functions (and price), not their badges. My working cameras have been of over a dozen different brands. If it fits my needs and I can afford it, great! Brand identification is a result of brainwashing. Set yourself free!
05-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nikon feels the most similar, but I'd go Canon just for the MP-E65
05-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nikon... because, from what I recall, Nikon's and Pentax's produce the same sort of colour reproduction, which I like.

05-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nikon. I'm not a Canon fan. I've played with all of the majors actually at my one teacher's place. He has more cameras than most camera stores probably do, almost every brand out there, and they're always up to date and ready to go. I just don't like the Canon DSLR's at all. I can stand Nikon. They're okay. (Okay, pretty good actually, laugh.) But there's a reason I'm so fond of Pentax despite the fact that in some ways Nikon actually offers the serious pro more. When it comes to camera feel nothing feels as comfortable to me as a Pentax. I seriously looked at all of the major 3 when I was looking at DSLR's for the first time. I wanted to be fair. I wanted to try a bunch of them out and see what worked for me. What I found was I was most comfortable with Pentax, also rather liked Nikon, but really didn't care for Canon models at all.

Honestly I can't say that any Canon camera I've had the chance to handle so far really made me like it. DSLR or SLR. I've had several of their SLR's come my way. Mostly AE1's but a few others too and I've always ended up giving them away or trading them away. If I ever felt the need to go FF and Pentax still didn't offer that or I just had to pick up another system to work with someone in particular I'd grab a Nikon over a Canon. But I wouldn't give up all my Pentax gear to do it. Maybe I'd sell some lenses or more likely I'd sell something else, something totally non-gear, to be able to afford both. In the end it's not even a question in my mind because I just know that I'd regret leaving Pentax entirely.

When I look back at every camera I've ever held, film, digital, the only ones I've been entirely happy with have been my Pentax cameras. From that first Spottie, it's just been LOVE... (Click!)

(Gee, I sound like I should write Pentax ads, no? )
05-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Any of those three brands could work, because they all have some nice glass, but the Sony Zeiss lenses are the most tempting to me (135/1.8, 85/1.4, 16-35/2.8). The 24mm Sony sounds good too, but I haven't tried it yet. But I think I already have more great Pentax lenses than I could ever get from Sony right now. Still, Pentax has nothing like that 16-35 ... all three of those lenses are really special.
05-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #10

Jump Ship?? Never! I will go down with the ship [ not as if it is going down ]

I will stand on deck clicking pictures till I can click no more. No, really I have never been interested in a different camera brand, I have held a few but they just were not to my liking. I have one camera that is not Pentax. An Olympus p&s converted to IR only. I have always been an avid Pentax user and will remain so.
05-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

All ready made the switch....Nikon
05-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
All ready made the switch....Nikon
You traitor...

*readies the flaming torches and pitchforks*
05-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
You traitor...

*readies the flaming torches and pitchforks*

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Now, now, be nice, you never know when someone might be back in short order, wink, and even if someone switches bodies it doesn't mean they're going to leave Pentax forever. If they did we wouldn't have to fight quite so hard to be able to afford our favorite lenses, now would we? I was re-watching an old video on the basics today, just refreshing my memory a bit on certain things, and low and behold there on the screen in full on Canon/Nikon territory was a Pentax 50mm lens illustrating a certain point about aperture. Mind you I've never seen anything in their videos that wasn't Canon or Nikon related and I've watched a lot of them actually, but there it was that beautiful 50mm (On a Canon camera, sigh...) showing it's beauty off to the world...
05-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I guess it would be Nikon for me too. To make it worth my while I'd go for a full-frame model with full AI and AI-S compatibility (unlike my other half's D3000 which barely qualifies as a decent camera IMHO). For my needs and desires, being able to use old (affordable but awesome) lenses is a must, so Canon can go take a long walk. Having said that, if I actually had the money for a new setup I'd get a Leica M9 and keep my Pentax kit.
05-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Looks like Nikon in a landslide....and I agree with them as well. My transition from D90 to K-5 was very easy. I would have no problem going back to Nikon.