Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were to switch.... it will be to Fuji. Most probably the X-Pro, or its replacement. Why? Primarily because I like its default jpeg output and "colors". Second choice would be the OM-D EM-5 or its replacement, for the weathersealing, and Oly default colors too. And probably as long as it's not Canon, Nikon, or Sony. Now if Fuji and Oly would just go back to mirrored SLRs....

05-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have posted this before, but it would clearly be canon.

Why?

Canon has a much shorter registry distance than any other maker, and the diameter of the lens mount is so large that it can accept virtually any mechanical adaptor and allow infinity focus for any other maker of lenses. I have 50 lenses, with over 40 manual focus legacy lenses. I would keep the pentax AF lenses until my bodies all die, and then sell them to the disparate ones looking for lenses

But given that my *istD is still going strong, as are my K10D, K7D , and K5D this could take some time
05-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I would go Nikon. I have used canons in the past at work and I don't like the way they feel. For me, the way a camera feels in my hands is really important.

The sad thing is that I may really have to begin considering this move. Since wedding season has started up, I won't make any changes until November, but I feel that I need to go full frame in my next camera. It has to do with weddings and low light performance. I truly believe that the color, bokeh, etc. I get from my Pentax lenses is superior to what I have tried with Nikon; this is how i have justified my decision to stay with pentax. I am hoping for is the mythical pentax full frame. I would be satisfied waiting until an official announcement at photokina if we could get some credible leaks and leads going....
05-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Either Samsung NX (very light system) or FF (Nikon or Canon--probably Canon, for the ability to use m42 lenses).

05-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #20

If money wasn't an issue, I'd just at the 645D and leap-frog the FF altogether.
05-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon D800. Never had a liking for the layout and viewfinder appearance of the 5D MkII and even now with the MkIII. Even the AF was not as responsive as I'd hoped. Nikon excel in this vital area, and make for very reliable tools overall. I wouldn't even mind a D700, but find the D3X a little too bulky.
05-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #22

I could go with Nikon, and still use my Pentax to use my Pentax and m42 lenses, and while I agree, they're the most similar to Pentax, I find Canon tempting because the EOS mount can accept so many different lenses, and I've always wanted to try more old glass.

05-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I probably will never leave Pentax ( too many lenses I have ).
Olympus, that would be my second choice, weather resistance, crop factor 2x , good compact size zooms, no FF but still excellent AF etc.
Next, Nikon D7000 and D 800 good vibes.
that's about it
long way down Sony and further down Canon ( never liked it, too plastic fantastic )
05-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could be sony... could be..
05-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

It is dependant on many things, money being a huge factor for one.
Money is no object then the jump would be to leica no question (particularly now the MM is announced)
from a standpoint of ergonomics and DSLR it would be Nikon
Canon only makes sense if i want to continue using my lenses - i'd rather do that on a Pentax body thanks

So if I win that 50 million friday then I'll be in line at the leica store

Otherwise i'm here

until Pentax disappears..........
05-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just to be clear, and I think some posters missed the point, the question is IF you were to jump ship. Personally, i won't so much as jump, but rather be thrown overboard, kicking and screaming. I have no intention to "jump ship" as long as there is a pentax and/or ricoh DSLR that I can put my lenses onto and take advantage of new and improving technology, but, I have seriously considered that if a pentax compatible mount DSLR is no longer available, I would, at that time consider migrating to canon, for a new body, but as I stated, I would continue to use my pentax bodies as long as they are functional / serviceable / useful

canon is a contingency plan, nothing more
05-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
just to be clear, and I think some posters missed the point, the question is IF you were to jump ship. Personally, i won't so much as jump, but rather be thrown overboard, kicking and screaming. I have no intention to "jump ship" as long as there is a pentax and/or ricoh DSLR that I can put my lenses onto and take advantage of new and improving technology, but, I have seriously considered that if a pentax compatible mount DSLR is no longer available, I would, at that time consider migrating to canon, for a new body, but as I stated, I would continue to use my pentax bodies as long as they are functional / serviceable / useful

canon is a contingency plan, nothing more
And hopefully never one you need to implement
05-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I probably will never leave Pentax ( too many lenses I have ).
But beyond that the fact is I know little or nothing of the world beyond the borders of Pentaxia. I'm just not much interested--I'm happy with my pentax gear
05-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

as far as i can tell, Nikon has nothing to offer that i am missing in my current rig, so I'm a stayin'.
05-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #30
Forum Member

i would never jump ship. i've been using pentax since 1972. and the first lens i had on my camera (50mm 1.7) that year is now on my K10D. imagine - a lens that is 40 years old i still good enough for a digital age, but if i ever jump ship - on a presumption that Pentax stop making cameras, the likely replacement will be a Canon MK cameras.