Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by contrabass Quote
I guess my feeling is, if I'm paying for the product, it's the company that owes ME the loyalty, not the other way around.
You've escaped the brainwashing then.

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I find Nikon to be a surprising choice given that it is the only significant mount on which you cannot use M42 lenses.
Bingo! Dumping Pentax for Canon at least allows lens migration (to reportedly sucky bodies). Dumping Pentax for Nee-kon means going to a totally incompatible lens system (with fairly familiar bodies). I don't like the trade-offs.

05-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Bingo! Dumping Pentax for Canon at least allows lens migration (to reportedly sucky bodies). Dumping Pentax for Nee-kon means going to a totally incompatible lens system (with fairly familiar bodies). I don't like the trade-offs.
Many people are migrating to Canikon because of better autofocus. They definitely don't care about using manual focus lenses
05-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #63
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Many people are migrating to Canikon because of better autofocus. They definitely don't care about using manual focus lenses
Pentaxians that don't care about Takumars still sounds funny to me. I think of a Pentaxian as more than a mere user of Pentax equipment. Perhaps the influence of it being used to tag the more active users of this forum. But you're right, it is used more generically than that in conversations.
05-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #64
Veteran Member

In some parts of the world, for example this one, there are 10 fold more Nikon manual focus lenses than Pentax anythings. I was using my 30yo Nikkors on my D7000 just yesterday. Pretty painlessly too (although I would like a green button!!)

05-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #65

My menu is good on Nikon. I would probably go for Canon overall if you have the cash the FF bodies are very good indeed
05-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #66
Inactive Account

switched to Nikon over a year ago. never liked the Canons.
perfect? no. no system is, but so far, so good.
05-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Weird notion, "jump ship". As if I owe Pentax anything or it is deserving of my loyalty or allegiance. It is merely a company making a particular kind of electronic appliance I happen to like. It is not "jumping ship" to change brand of camera just as it is not with choosing a new car, fridge or TV.

Having said that, I really loved all of my Pentaxes to bits right back to the K1000 I owned 35 years ago and up to the K-5 and K20D I have now. It is just a darned good camera with a quality feel to it, that's all - until something better comes along.

05-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Canon.

Canon has been about advanced technology, more so than Nikon or any other company. Canon's AF systems are simply light-years away from others, and their lenses tend to incorporate more advanced optics and electronics than Nikon. Canon also offers more lens choices than Nikon, and there's no concern about entry-level bodies not able to autofocus with old AF lenses. The Canon EOS system is a consistent platform that doesn't have the bewildering compatibility problems that Nikon has with entry-level bodies and older lenses such as metering oddities (no metering at all--not even spot metering--with old AI lenses on entry-level bodies!?).

That said, I will stick with Pentax until my hand is forced in some way. Pentax ergonomics are superlative in that they put all the key controls within easy reach and offers features like full weather sealing that are often not available with similarly priced Canon or Nikon equipment.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 05-18-2012 at 08:22 AM.
05-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Canon.

Canon has been about advanced technology, more so than Nikon or any other company. Canon's AF systems are simply light-years away from others, and their lenses tend to incorporate more advanced optics and electronics than Nikon. Canon also offers more lens choices than Nikon, and there's no concern about entry-level bodies not able to autofocus with old AF lenses. The Canon EOS system is a consistent platform that doesn't have the bewildering compatibility problems that Nikon has with entry-level bodies and older lenses such as metering oddities (no metering at all--not even spot metering--with old AI lenses on entry-level bodies!?).
That's actually the laundry list of reasons why I went Canon for my first DSLR five years ago. The "legendary" Nikon backwards compatibility has a list of exceptions a mile long. I mean, it's possible for a non-AI lens to physically harm some newer bodies. Now how did Nikon manage to bork that? The K-Mount isn't as old, but at least M42 and all K-mount lenses will work on the newest bodies.

That said, I'm enough of a geek to figure out the compatibility issues with the Nikon system. When people ask "Nikon or Canon?", I recommend one or the other based on what I think their ability/interest will be in trying to figure out all the Nikon compatibility problems. Usually, "if you buy a Nikon, know that there are lenses Nikon makes today that will not autofocus on bodies Nikon makes today" is enough to scare people away from them. Too bad that's a true statement.
05-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Canon.

They're all reasons that I don't care for or are blatantly wrong. Advanced technology? Point out one area where canon beats anyone (in photography). Outside of photography, nikon makes the imaging equipment that sony uses to make their sensors. You know that EXMOR one that's making such a splash? Ken Rockwell has tons of information on this area that is also irrelevant to photography. I have no idea what you're on with the AF as they're roughly the same now that the 5D2 has been surpassed. Before that, D700's autofocus>>5d2. D300s>=7D. I prefer nikon's optics in their 24, 35, 50 and 85 fast primes as they bring together the best combination of sharpness and bokeh. In reality, they're probably very similar. Canon seems to be marketing at the aperture junkies with their ultra 24-70 from both parties didn't impress me at all, and felt more like expensive, well built kit lenses than the much nicer 70-200 flagships from both camps. Both have the 16-35 but Nikon has the option of perhaps the sharpest mainstream landscape lens.

I'm surprised at the 'more lens choices' argument coming from a pentax user, especially when Canon has about 9 more lenses than Nikon, and the lead goes heavily to Nikon if you include backwards compatibility. If there ever was any concern about AF on entry bodies and older lenses, then the person is probably looking at lenses that no entry level buyer would use. Nikon allows the OPTION to put on older lenses with quirks and issues, but canon has none. That's like saying apple is more consistent because it offers you zero modular choices.

I wonder how many people use 'old AI lenses on entry-level bodies' and if there is a single person in my state that does this. In contrast, how many people have APS-C specific lenses and a fullframe body at the same time? While canon has no option of mounting them onto the fullframe body, nikon allows it and it works acceptably with the full imaging circle with certain lenses, such as the 35/1.8 and 11-16.
05-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Came to Pentax from Canon film days using the EOS 50e.
Would never switch back to Canon...just don't like the feel of the bodies and the buttons and menu layout.
It's all subjective though.

I always have had a soft spot for Olympus, so the choice would either go to Olympus, but more likely Nikon.
05-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Nikon no doubt. Pentax was obviously best bang for buck in the K10D vs. D80 days when I made my decision, but it's much more even now...
05-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by Trysaeder Quote
If there ever was any concern about AF on entry bodies and older lenses, then the person is probably looking at lenses that no entry level buyer would use. Nikon allows the OPTION to put on older lenses with quirks and issues, but canon has none.
Isn't a 50mm f1.8 the first 'extra lens' most entry level buyers purchase after their twin lens kit? Nikon have only just (in the past year) released a 50mm f1.8 that will AF on their entry-level bodies.
05-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #74

As you can tell from my user name, I've "jumped" the other way. Came from Canon to Pentax. I love the ergonomics of the Pentax bodies and the legacy lens compatibility. I've sold most of my Canon lenses (to feed a Pentax LBA), but have kept all 3 bodies I had. On one I still use with the Canon lenses I have left, the other two now have M42 adapters pretty much permanently mounted on them. One of the bodies is a FF (Kodak Pro/C), so if I need a FF, I have one.

So I don't think I would jump again Right now I think I have the best of two systems for what I need. But to answer the original question, I guess it would be back to Canon since I'm used to them and I can take my Pentax glass back with me.
05-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When Pentax USA wouldn't service my FA*300mm f2.8, that pretty much did it for me . I went with Canon for the lenses and service (haven't needed it yet though). I still use my first pentax lens on my FF canon every once in a while. I am very happy with my gear, now all I have to blame is lack of talent.