Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #1

New K10D and JPEG

Good evening, well it is here in New Zealand - just after 8pm on Friday the 18th and my first posting.

Doubtless this question has been done to death but I haven't had much success in finding an answer, so I hope someone will indulge me. Today I took delivery of a new K10D with the DA 16-45 lens, despite the forthcoming announcements of a replacement, simply because for where I am in my photographic hobby this camera will do all I want, at a price that suits me.

My question concerns the only really negative comment I've seen for the K10D and that is the quality of the JPEG files. Is it a problem and if so can it be fixed by adjusting the menu settings. I am aware that a RAW file converted to JPEG by third party software produces quite stunning results but it would be nice if this could be done from within the camera.

Any comment will be most welcome.

Regards

01-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, it's not really a problem, changing the settings will go a long way to getting what you want with the jpegs. Using the Bright setting with a little boost of +1 or +2 to the Sharpness and Saturation is a good place to start.
01-18-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This seems to be an issue that is blown out of proportion because a couple of well-know review sites elected to use the default Pentax k10d settings when using jpeg. The Pentax engineers set the default output of the camera to be more representative of film cameras. If you change the default setting to "brite" you will see a difference. You can also customize the sharpness output.

It is unfortunate that this keeps being presented as a limitation or flaw in the camera. It is not. It is a choice in the design, which can easily be changed by the user, without the need to shoot in RAW and then convert.

See this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/13800-k10d-owns-canon-40d-raw.html
It says it is about RAW, but really it addresses jpeg. There are many other examples of this.
01-18-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
It is unfortunate that this keeps being presented as a limitation or flaw in the camera. It is not.
Some would say it's a feature...

01-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to you all for the comments, they are very much appreciated and a give clear message to just get on and enjoy the camera for what it is.
01-18-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clevo Quote
Thanks to you all for the comments, they are very much appreciated and a give clear message to just get on and enjoy the camera for what it is.
Ah..intelligent answer, well said. .
What part of NZ?
Cheers
Grant
01-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Ah..intelligent answer, well said. .
What part of NZ?
Cheers
Grant
Christchurch Grant, Parklands area.

Cheers

01-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
Some would say it's a feature...
Good point!
01-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I use the default settings, and my jpgs are fine. Minimal PS sharping, about what i use for my D1 and D1H files.

Dave
01-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
No, it's not really a problem, changing the settings will go a long way to getting what you want with the jpegs. Using the Bright setting with a little boost of +1 or +2 to the Sharpness and Saturation is a good place to start.
Note that the default "0" is already quite saturated. if you boost the saturation further, particularly in bright mode, you'll get funky-looking colors and risk blowing out the red channel. Here's some test/examples I did a while ago:

saturation adjustment vs. traffic cones
K10D contrast/saturation settings matrix
More K10D saturation/contrast matrices
01-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a tendency to change the JPEG settings like I treated film in the past.

If you have specific lighting situations, indoor vs outdoor, high contrast vs low contrast, etc, you would pick different films in the past. daylight ballanced, kodachrome if you wanted warmer tones, ektachrome for cooler tones etc. print if you wanted more exposure lattitude, slide if yoou wanted less, etc...

Now, I just change the jpeg settings. if I am in a bright day with harsh shadows, I dial back the contrast, on an overcast day with no shadows I incerase it. I change white balance as well, to compensate for lighting.

SHarpness is something I generally do not change, I am quite satisfied with it, and unless your detail is only 1-2 pixles wide, there is no issue. on very fine details, you are better off in raw.

I agree with what others have said, the K10D neutral settings are very much like film.
01-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Merely why I recommended it as a starting point.
01-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #13

changing the jpeg settings is a good way to get whatever feel you are going for in a photo.

although i do alot of shooting in normal setting, +2 sharpness, +1 contrast. pleasing to my eye for near real life image in most situations.
01-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hey there Clevo,
I don't own the K10 but I think you're question is answered above.
I am jealous of you living close to the Merrivale Mall - Photo and Video International territory (I think that's what it's called). The one time I've been in there I was most impressed, no brand snobbery evident on my visit, but they did talk me into spending about a grand! Great 2nd hand collection.
01-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Hey there Clevo,
I don't own the K10 but I think you're question is answered above.
I am jealous of you living close to the Merrivale Mall - Photo and Video International territory (I think that's what it's called). The one time I've been in there I was most impressed, no brand snobbery evident on my visit, but they did talk me into spending about a grand! Great 2nd hand collection.
I work over that way ARPE and can easily pop over in my lunch hour or go that way home after work. That's where I bought my camera and I agree with all your comments, I checked a number of outlets first and got the best deal and service there - they will get my repeat business and there will be some of that now!!! By the way, I believe your signature has an error, shouldn't it be Crusaders??

Cheers