Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K100D - RAW Dynamic Range

In their review of the K100D, DPReview mentions that using custom Adobe Camera Raw settings helped them pull out quite a bit more dynamic range from RAW captures (compared to ACR defaults) - especially on the shadow end. The specific page discussing this is Pentax K100D Review: 15. Photographic tests: Digital Photography Review. The caveat, apparently, is that this is not guaranteed to reproduce colors correctly and the ACR settings used were "extreme" (their wording).

My question is whether Pentax shooters have found this to be true in the real world (since DPReview does their testing in a highly-controlled studio environment). Secondly, is such a technique still worth it despite the color correctness issues?

I've been using Silkypix (same as PPL engine) for my conversions, but am now thinking of switching to Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom, especially if I can manage to calibrate its tint/hue settings to resemble Silkypix's output and gain some dynamic range to boot.

Andriy (aka Dubesor)
Flickr: dubesor

Last edited by Dubesor; 01-18-2008 at 05:34 AM. Reason: original post was a little mistaken
01-18-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

In my understanding, dpreview doesn't even test how much DR they could get from other RAW converters. They just do it wit ACR.

I am quite sure that Silkypix should also deal with DR enhancement quite well.
01-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
In my understanding, dpreview doesn't even test how much DR they could get from other RAW converters. They just do it wit ACR.

I am quite sure that Silkypix should also deal with DR enhancement quite well.
Good point. Would some tweaked/"extreme" settings in Silkypix (or other RAW processing apps) also bring in more DR vs. their respective default settings? What would the tradeoffs be?
01-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just check yourself at the same environment of your own, one with jpeg and the other with RAW and then convert using whatever raw convertors you like, then you will know if there is a difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
In their review of the K100D, DPReview mentions that using custom Adobe Camera Raw settings helped them pull out quite a bit more dynamic range from RAW captures (compared to ACR defaults) - especially on the shadow end. The specific page discussing this is Pentax K100D Review: 15. Photographic tests: Digital Photography Review. The caveat, apparently, is that this is not guaranteed to reproduce colors correctly and the ACR settings used were "extreme" (their wording).

My question is whether Pentax shooters have found this to be true in the real world (since DPReview does their testing in a highly-controlled studio environment). Secondly, is such a technique still worth it despite the color correctness issues?

I've been using Silkypix (same as PPL engine) for my conversions, but am now thinking of switching to Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom, especially if I can manage to calibrate its tint/hue settings to resemble Silkypix's output and gain some dynamic range to boot.

Andriy (aka Dubesor)

01-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even a broken clock is right twice a day

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote

Andriy (aka Dubesor)
I wouldn't bother. ACR has it's own internal issues that many think does not make it the best of converters (not worth going into it). Silkypics is more than capable of the same as ACR.
You got a bunch of extra money?? Go ahead. Multiple tools do have an advantge BUT until you exhausted Silkypics tweaks and your own capture technique I wouldn't bother yet.
If you have other reasons to get ACR (workflow ect) than again, go for it.
As to the rockwell "tutorial", just an example of the more than one way to skin something....
Dropping contrast in camera is another to increase dr......
Adding Dynamic Range to any Digital Camera
01-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
B&H Photo Video Pro Audio- Getting the Most Bang for Your Bits

That little promo article explains why MOST people are not seeing the difference between 12 or 14 bit - A) they may not be processing and viewing their RAW files with an application that can support 12 or 14 bit and, B) if they are using software that supports 12-14 bit, their monitor is not capable of displaying 12-14 bit and, C) even if all else is true, they're not printing with equipment capable of rendering 12-14 bit images on paper.

Not to mention RAW to TIFF conversions at 16bit..
01-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The current technology barrier for APS-C sized sensors is not about the number of bits but the background noise plus the maximum storeable charge per pixel.

If the 12 or 14 or even 16 bit could start to make a difference, the sensor size should be increased in the first hand.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
B&H Photo Video Pro Audio- Getting the Most Bang for Your Bits

That little promo article explains why MOST people are not seeing the difference between 12 or 14 bit - A) they may not be processing and viewing their RAW files with an application that can support 12 or 14 bit and, B) if they are using software that supports 12-14 bit, their monitor is not capable of displaying 12-14 bit and, C) even if all else is true, they're not printing with equipment capable of rendering 12-14 bit images on paper.

Not to mention RAW to TIFF conversions at 16bit..