Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Dubesor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 333
K100D - RAW Dynamic Range

In their review of the K100D, DPReview mentions that using custom Adobe Camera Raw settings helped them pull out quite a bit more dynamic range from RAW captures (compared to ACR defaults) - especially on the shadow end. The specific page discussing this is Pentax K100D Review: 15. Photographic tests: Digital Photography Review. The caveat, apparently, is that this is not guaranteed to reproduce colors correctly and the ACR settings used were "extreme" (their wording).

My question is whether Pentax shooters have found this to be true in the real world (since DPReview does their testing in a highly-controlled studio environment). Secondly, is such a technique still worth it despite the color correctness issues?

I've been using Silkypix (same as PPL engine) for my conversions, but am now thinking of switching to Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom, especially if I can manage to calibrate its tint/hue settings to resemble Silkypix's output and gain some dynamic range to boot.

Andriy (aka Dubesor)
Flickr: dubesor



Last edited by Dubesor; 01-18-2008 at 05:34 AM. Reason: original post was a little mistaken
01-18-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
In my understanding, dpreview doesn't even test how much DR they could get from other RAW converters. They just do it wit ACR.

I am quite sure that Silkypix should also deal with DR enhancement quite well.
01-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Dubesor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 333
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
In my understanding, dpreview doesn't even test how much DR they could get from other RAW converters. They just do it wit ACR.

I am quite sure that Silkypix should also deal with DR enhancement quite well.
Good point. Would some tweaked/"extreme" settings in Silkypix (or other RAW processing apps) also bring in more DR vs. their respective default settings? What would the tradeoffs be?
01-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Just check yourself at the same environment of your own, one with jpeg and the other with RAW and then convert using whatever raw convertors you like, then you will know if there is a difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
In their review of the K100D, DPReview mentions that using custom Adobe Camera Raw settings helped them pull out quite a bit more dynamic range from RAW captures (compared to ACR defaults) - especially on the shadow end. The specific page discussing this is Pentax K100D Review: 15. Photographic tests: Digital Photography Review. The caveat, apparently, is that this is not guaranteed to reproduce colors correctly and the ACR settings used were "extreme" (their wording).

My question is whether Pentax shooters have found this to be true in the real world (since DPReview does their testing in a highly-controlled studio environment). Secondly, is such a technique still worth it despite the color correctness issues?

I've been using Silkypix (same as PPL engine) for my conversions, but am now thinking of switching to Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom, especially if I can manage to calibrate its tint/hue settings to resemble Silkypix's output and gain some dynamic range to boot.

Andriy (aka Dubesor)
Flickr: dubesor


01-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
Even a broken clock is right twice a day

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
In their review of the K100D, DPReview mentions that using custom Adobe Camera Raw settings helped them pull out quite a bit more dynamic range from RAW captures (compared to ACR defaults) - especially on the shadow end. The specific page discussing this is Pentax K100D Review: 15. Photographic tests: Digital Photography Review. The caveat, apparently, is that this is not guaranteed to reproduce colors correctly and the ACR settings used were "extreme" (their wording).

My question is whether Pentax shooters have found this to be true in the real world (since DPReview does their testing in a highly-controlled studio environment). Secondly, is such a technique still worth it despite the color correctness issues?

I've been using Silkypix (same as PPL engine) for my conversions, but am now thinking of switching to Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom, especially if I can manage to calibrate its tint/hue settings to resemble Silkypix's output and gain some dynamic range to boot.

Andriy (aka Dubesor)
Flickr: dubesor
I wouldn't bother. ACR has it's own internal issues that many think does not make it the best of converters (not worth going into it). Silkypics is more than capable of the same as ACR.
You got a bunch of extra money?? Go ahead. Multiple tools do have an advantge BUT until you exhausted Silkypics tweaks and your own capture technique I wouldn't bother yet.
If you have other reasons to get ACR (workflow ect) than again, go for it.
As to the rockwell "tutorial", just an example of the more than one way to skin something....
Dropping contrast in camera is another to increase dr......
Adding Dynamic Range to any Digital Camera
01-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Tom M's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 782
B&H Photo Video Pro Audio- Getting the Most Bang for Your Bits

That little promo article explains why MOST people are not seeing the difference between 12 or 14 bit - A) they may not be processing and viewing their RAW files with an application that can support 12 or 14 bit and, B) if they are using software that supports 12-14 bit, their monitor is not capable of displaying 12-14 bit and, C) even if all else is true, they're not printing with equipment capable of rendering 12-14 bit images on paper.

Not to mention RAW to TIFF conversions at 16bit..
01-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
The current technology barrier for APS-C sized sensors is not about the number of bits but the background noise plus the maximum storeable charge per pixel.

If the 12 or 14 or even 16 bit could start to make a difference, the sensor size should be increased in the first hand.


QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
B&H Photo Video Pro Audio- Getting the Most Bang for Your Bits

That little promo article explains why MOST people are not seeing the difference between 12 or 14 bit - A) they may not be processing and viewing their RAW files with an application that can support 12 or 14 bit and, B) if they are using software that supports 12-14 bit, their monitor is not capable of displaying 12-14 bit and, C) even if all else is true, they're not printing with equipment capable of rendering 12-14 bit images on paper.

Not to mention RAW to TIFF conversions at 16bit..
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
acr, adobe, camera, dpreview, dslr, dubesor, k100d, pentax, photography, range, review, settings
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dynamic Range on the K-x Shahmatt Pentax DSLR Discussion 33 04-22-2010 03:51 PM
Enhanced Dynamic Range drjaxon Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 02-16-2009 08:49 PM
Dynamic Range Rene` Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 09-25-2008 07:46 AM
Dynamic Range Vlad Photographic Technique 5 06-01-2008 10:40 PM
K100D Dynamic Range compared to others HogRider Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 10-27-2006 07:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top