Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K10 help.....

Hello all, I am new here, great site, tons of info. I'll get down to it. The other day my K10 tumbled off of the bed. I immediately picked it up and tried to power it up.... nothing. I charged the batteries, still nothing. No sensor shake, no display...nothing.Is it worth the fix or should I upgrade. I loved that camera and thought it performed well. Fast autofocus, shutterspeed, and image quality were great to me. Low light conditions were rough though. I take ALOT of pics of my 6yr old son in lacrosse games with the 100-300 zoom and I like the results. Its a smc pentax-f 1:4.5-5.6 100-300mm. Not an expensive lens but it does the job at his games well. I looked into the Kx, K7, and K5. K5 seems like the one I want but can't afford, its out. I read alot of good things about Kx but read you cant auto focus while recording and lack of LCD display on top like the K10 had. Does the K7 autofocus while recording or is that really a non issue. I wasn't prepared to need a new camera and my wife and i were lookind at small handheld cams like the sony bloggie so I think the video quality will be fine on the pentax. I also read low light is good on the Kx. How about the K7? Any ideas. Thank You in advance for any advice. -dan

05-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went from the K10 to the K7 and it is quite a bit better (though the K5 sensor makes it a much better camera.) I tried the Kx and it may be marginally better at high iso but ergonomically and feature wise i hated it. the K7 (and K5) have excellent ergonomics and are more solid then the K10 was

Video wise the K7 is decent but the K-01 is far superior (the lack of ovf among other things rule it out for me but performance wise it crushes all the others you mention. If you can wait until July or so the new K30 looks to be an amazing value (body will likely be about $750 or so) very compact WR dual wheel, in other words many of the features the K10 had) with the performance of the K-01 (so close to the K5 but not quoite as good due to 12 bit versus 14 bit processing)
05-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i keep checking craigslist and ebay. Seems the 7 and 01 are out of my range$$. I am emailing a guy that has a white kx with kit lens can pick up for 280.00. i wasnt prepared for this at all. my lenses should fit no problem right? Also what is mirrorless and whats the difference in pic quality
05-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Do you think the kx will focus fast during pics of a lacrosse game. fast moving game like soccer. k10 handled it well. does kx focus as fast?

05-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Kx focus was maybe a littlle better. K7 is dramatically better AF than K10
Kx has only center or multi focus no selectable focus like the K10 (this was number one on my list of reasons for returning the Kx and changing to the K7 )
Another thing the K7 has that will be of hug value for soccer is Tav mode. Set your shutter and aperture (say 1/500 and f56-8) and let the isos slide to compensate - you can limit how far it floats to avoid noise issue)

for a better look at the differences try the comparator tool

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=k10d&c2=kx&c3=k7
05-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

extras on k7 include the following
Pentaprism VF (like theK10 but 100% VF)
77 segment metering versus 11 segment
AF points in VF
Exchangeable screen
3" 921000 pixel screen versus 2.7" 230000 pixel on kx (210000 on K10)
WR
2 control wheel
front/back focus correction for up to 20 lenses (none on kx - 1 on K10)
dedicated AF assist lamp (none on kx)
+/- 5EV versus +/- 3ev
Hi: 5.2 fps to 40 frames (JPG), 15 frames (PEF), 14 frames (DNG)
Lo: 3.3 fps until card is full (JPG), up to 17 frames (PEF/DNG)
versus
Hi: 4.7 fps to 17 frames (JPG), 5 frames (RAW)
Lo: 2 fps until card is full (JPG), up to 11 frames (RAW)

KX wins on high iso (by 1 stop)
and size (smaller/lighter)
05-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should probably look around a little bit at what the different DSLR models offer. They'll all be compatible with your lenses. You can always pick up a used version of most of the cameras to fit your budget.

I had a K10d. I liked the camera, but its lowlight abilities were lacking. In all honesty, I didn't think they lacked much until the K5 came out and I saw what a real lowlight capable camera could produce. I still use the K10d because in normal light situations, I still find it adequate, and I actually like it ergonomically a bit better. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but I was used to it and there are certain things I just like better... Specifically, I like the size of the camera. It felt much better in my hands than my K5 does. The grip on the K5 helps, but I hate that I had to spend an extra $200 to get the right fit. I also liked the mode dial better on the K10d. That is a minor quibble. I definitely love my K5 and it does take 95% of my shots. The K10d is mostly there for odd lens shooting with a second body saving a bit of work.

If you are looking to save some money but perhaps still make an upgrade, I'd consider the K200 and the K20. The K200 was essentially the same as the K10d without the weather sealing (it was an entry level). The K20d was the K10d's replacement. You get a few more MP and a bit better low-light performance. I think it uses the same batteries and is the same size. The next steps go towards the K7, Kx, and Kr. The Kx and Kr are the successors to the K200d (I don't remember what came first), and the K7 is the predecessor for the K5. Others have given comments on those cameras from their first hand experience, which is better than my zero hand experience

05-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank You for the advice, I do like the idea of having the video option when i want. i am currently looking at a Kx in white with kit lens for 280.00 . That seems pretty good and I wont find a k7 , k5 or a 20d for that price. Should suit my needs. Think I may go for it. What do you think for 280.00 , good deal? Like i said before I wasnt in the market for a new camera. This all happened when the camera fell from the bed.
05-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

K-x is an excellent camera, I liked it very much. $280 is a great price, just make sure everything works fine before you purchase it.
05-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-x is good, and K-r is a touch better, for just a little more than what you have to pay for the K-x.
05-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It depends on how you use your camera. There are things that are lacking on the K-x and K-r that you might need or are used to.
K-x does not have AF point indication in the viewfinder (no big issue if you use center focus and recompose); K-x and K-r don't have connection for cable remote. Also, compared to K10D, no TAv and no top display.

I would personally try to find a K20D (OK, still no low light champion) if you want to replace the K10D. If the above are no issues for you (or low light performance is high on your list), I would go for the K-x.

Good luck in the decision taking.

PS
You might have a broken PCB in your camera (expensive repair) or maybe a loose connector (cheapish repair). Try to get a quote, it might be the latter.

Last edited by sterretje; 05-18-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: added PS
05-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
The K200 was essentially the same as the K10d without the weather sealing
Nope. The K200 is a WR body. Also uses AA batteries (Eneloops!) and the poor thing has never needed a significant firmware upgrade to fix faults. Also uses the same CCD sensor as the K10.
05-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

For the cost of shipping, you can send the K10D to CRIS and see what's the matter with it. Could be as simple as disconnect somewhere -- not all repairs are super-expensive. (I had a new "aperture control block" put in the K10D for about $150 recently.) They are going for about $300 used at the moment (which is up from last year, strangely), so could be worth the repair just to sell it...
05-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Kx has only center or multi focus no selectable focus like the K10
K-x has 11 selectable AF points, you select them on the rear LCD screen.
05-19-2012, 02:15 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
K-x has 11 selectable AF points, you select them on the rear LCD screen.
How do I send to CRIS. What is location