Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor size trend

guys, the future trend in digital sensor will be smaller in size. so I think all roars and laments for FF dslr should be quit. if Pentax suddenly releases FF, then it is miracle. otherwise, except the fact! the most important thing is better IQ, better noise handling, etc. and of course, better pricing.

05-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tohax Quote
guys, the future trend in digital sensor will be smaller in size. so I think all roars and laments for FF dslr should be quit. if Pentax suddenly releases FF, then it is miracle. otherwise, except the fact! the most important thing is better IQ, better noise handling, etc. and of course, better pricing.
What about a better viewfinder?
05-17-2012, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

the most important thing is better IQ, better noise handling, etc. and of course, better pricing.
Did you realize better iq and better noise handling is directly improved through bigger sensors, not smaller? I think you have no idea what you are calling for to be honest.
05-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think your just trying to provoke another thread on the topic. There are many of these threads already, and it is obvious that you haven't read them.

Personally I have no need to a FF camera at this point, But, FF sensors provide different attributes to an image. They allow for shallower DoF for the same aperture & focal length, and they take advantage of wider angle lenses. Just because you do not see these as important benifits it does not mean that everyone should think the same way!

Your trying to limit a painter to just one brush.

05-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
tohax only 51 posts. You may not be aware of the FF cult on this blog.

You are talking to utterly desperate, deprived and obsessed photographers. They agonize by the minute to hold onto a pentax FF allusion or jump ship. I would love to say i am taking the mickey out of these guys but it is true. the Holy grail is a pentax FF.
05-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Easiest way to get better IQ and noise handling is to have larger sensors. I'm not sure what your point is.
05-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sensors within camera classes are growing, not shrinking. Only so many megapickles can be jammed onto small chips before they get hot and noisy. More+tinier pixels mean more noise. If you want a 1/6" 16mpx sensor, you're bloody welcome to it. It should be "good enough for Facebook".

Related: The zillion-buck FB IPO will have disastrous results. FB makes money selling ads. New stockholders will want some returns on their investment. Only ways to make more money are 1) get more members (but 1/8 of humanity are already there, which is about 5/6 of everyone with connectivity) and 2) sell more ads to push at members (who will get bored and leave). So before long, those images that are "good enough for Facebook" will have to be good enough for something else... maybe with higher standards.
05-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I guess nobody told Leaf-Mamiya or Hasselblad that small sensors are the way forward.

Or even Pentax with the 645d.

05-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Actually I think it will happen the other way around, with current trends - if bigger sensors get cheaper, then FF might actually return as the norm. Not sure if that will happen though. I can't predict the future unlike tohax
05-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Actually I think it will happen the other way around, with current trends - if bigger sensors get cheaper, then FF might actually return as the norm. Not sure if that will happen though. I can't predict the future unlike tohax
Although I'm usually wrong, I'll hazard a guess here: I think we'll have MANY standards. (As we used to say in the electronic-engineering game: The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them.) CamPhones will replace P&S digicams and consumer-grade camcorders, with sensors smaller than the Q. APS will live on, as did 135/HF (half-frame) for decades. (HF cams were built from the 1900s to the 1970s.) FF will see a resurgance. There are already more MF than FF digicams, and we'll see even more. (I can't wait for the GRX FF-PK mountor.) The more, the merrier, ho ho ho.
05-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

But do we need more quality then we are getting now?
certainly more is better i don't disagree with that but it has reach a point i'm satisfied with.
I rather go smaller and cheaper and maintain this quality then go large and expensive to gain quality, for my everyday shooting at least.

Strangely enough i'm interested with large frame cameras but more of the feel of them rather then their technical superior image quality.
05-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The Fullframe Messiah is coming to Pentax and Adam is his/her Prophet. Amen!
05-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Did you realize better iq and better noise handling is directly improved through bigger sensors, not smaller? I think you have no idea what you are calling for to be honest.
yes but if we also look at for example the lens then things get interesting.

Sure you can shoot with 85mm at f/1.4 on FF but the DOF will be very small you've more DOF with for example 50mm f/1.2 on APS-C.
The point i want to make is you can shoot wider open with an APS-C so you don't need equal noise handling to make it preform the same in the same conditions.