Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Buy a K5 to replace my K10d for long exposure?

Do I really need the K5? Would I need the extra 6 megapixels for cropping? Would the dynamic range show better on the K5? When I did a long exposure, it does emit some random pixels which showed up a lot for another editing program sagelight but only a few manageable ones in lightroom. I did shoot near darkness so I don't think it was light through the viewfinder but I did not cover that up.

05-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have the age old question of what are you shooting?

There are differences between the two camera bodies. The K10 is a CCD sensor while the K5 is a CMOS. The 645D has a CCD sensor. Here is a quick comparison._____________________
  • Do you need the additional 6MP? - Do you crop a lot? If not then probably not.
  • Would the dynamic range show better on the K5? Probably - I moved from the K20 to K5 and yes it did.
  • On long exposures - random pixels? Hot pixels will appear in all sensors, and post processing utilities will fix them. Pixel mapping will also remove dead pixels in the camera.

I do a lot of ambient low light shooting and the K5 is terrific. ISO 80 and the dynamic range are excellent. On the other hand, CCDs have a nice image to them, are low noise, and 10MP is pretty nice.

Note - I started with the K100 when it first came out - what 6 years ago. Its a 6MP CCD and I have kept it for the sensor and size, however I really do not use it that much. When I was able to get the K5 for a good price, I sold my 3 year old K20, since it was the newest and had value, but also, since the K5 is a CMOS sensor, I wanted to have access to both type. I was looking at some images from the K100 the other day, and they are excellent, even though I am use to the K5's resolution.

Last edited by interested_observer; 05-19-2012 at 04:24 PM.
05-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
Buy a K5 to replace my K10d for long exposure?
In short - I can highly recommend it.
I have both the K10D and K-5 and can highly recommend the K-5 for long exposure and high iso work.
For portrait work with natural light I still prefer the K10D though - mainly for the differences in sensor that 'interested_observer' has eluded to.
On both camera's I prefer to shoot raw and maybe edit in After-shot Pro.
As for dynamic range of the K-5 - just what 'interested_observer' said - "ISO 80 and the dynamic range are excellent"

C
05-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

surely from a still camera point of view the difference between the two sensor types relates to battery consumption and max usable resolution vs noise?

I am luck enough to own a k5d and a K10d and have always , despite the high spec the k5 has, been of the opinion that the images [using the same lens] from the K10d are the best. now it might be my k5 but I also ave a Kr and still feel for my wedding and portraiture close up work the K10d images are better.

05-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that for the most part the CCD - CMOS discussion was in the 2000 to 2006 timeframe. For the photographer in terms of images, here is an article that does a pretty good analysis of CCD.Today, I guess I would say the there is a difference in character. The astro cameras still use CCDs as well as the 645D, but the K5 appears to have found the secret sauce in dynamic range.

05-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments. Looks like the K5 can serve better for Landscape photography as you can pull up the range better and do blend exposures with detail.

I do notice that with the k10d a little sharpening can produce some noise so the k5's extra megapixels will help in this department. K5, I can crop without losing detail.