Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Manual Not Clear

I have the K10D and there is part of the manual that I find unclear. I'm hoping someone can help.

When using the remote shutter release or cable switch, the manual says to use the ME viewfinder cap or AE-lock. After that it says:

"Ignore the light entering the viewfinder when the exposure mode is set to M..."

I think this means that if we are in M mode, then the CAMERA will ignore light entering the viewfinder so we don't need to use the cap. Is that right?

I am hoping so because the eyecup needs to come off to use the viewfinder cap. Also, I don't really want to use AE-lock in M mode because that kind of makes it like P mode. (Unless that is my misunderstanding.)

In practice, are most people using the viewifinder cap or locking exposure or neither?

Sorry for the newbie questions. (At least I am reading the manual. )

Betty

Last edited by BettyE; 01-18-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Change a typo
01-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #2

Manual is Manual. You set the Aperture and the Shutter. The camera will make no attempt to adjust the settings. In all other modes, the camera will "read" the light entering the camera, either from the lens or the viewfinder, and adjust itself accordingly.

Miller
01-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Miller -

Thanks for your quick reply! So then, when I pull my eye away, even if the EV bar changes from the center, I just ignore that, the same way I ignore it if I recompose, etc. I understand.

I am glad to hear that because I am starting to like shooting in M.

Thank you, again.

Betty
01-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you re-compose, that can definitely have an effect on your exposure. You may need to change the Shutter/ISO/Aperture as you see fit to keep the meter bar in the middle if you move the camera after focus & initial metering; all depending on the light falling on your subject, and your metering mode.

01-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
If you re-compose, that can definitely have an effect on your exposure. You may need to change the Shutter/ISO/Aperture as you see fit to keep the meter bar in the middle if you move the camera after focus & initial metering; all depending on the light falling on your subject, and your metering mode.
Yes, the photographer may need to take action to adjust the exposure but the camera will not change any settings automatically by overriding your settings while in <M>anual mode.
01-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by BettyE Quote
Miller -

Thanks for your quick reply! So then, when I pull my eye away, even if the EV bar changes from the center, I just ignore that, the same way I ignore it if I recompose, etc. I understand.

I am glad to hear that because I am starting to like shooting in M.

Thank you, again.

Betty
I have a little more to add. If you have ISO set to AUTO, Manual mode will use the lowest setting in your Auto range. Otherwise, manual mode will use whatever ISO setting you are on.

Miller
01-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, M80 and Miller.

I'm sorry. I should have been more clear. I meant that if I meter on, let's say, the sky, and then recompose, the EV bar is not in the middle after the recomposing, but I just ignore that because I am deliberately metering on the sky. On the other hand, if I am trying to just go with the camera's metering, if I recompose, I will need to change the aperture, shutter or ISO to get back to the middle of the EV bar.

Thank you for your patience.

Betty
01-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #8

Thanks, M80 and Miller.

I'm sorry. I should have been more clear. I meant that if I meter on, let's say, the sky, and then recompose, the EV bar is not in the middle after the recomposing, but I just ignore that because I am deliberately metering on the sky. On the other hand, if I am trying to just go with the camera's metering, if I recompose, I will need to change the aperture, shutter or ISO to get back to the middle of the EV bar.

Thank you for your patience.

Betty
Exactly!!

Miller

01-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbmiller Quote
I have a little more to add. If you have ISO set to AUTO, Manual mode will use the lowest setting in your Auto range. Otherwise, manual mode will use whatever ISO setting you are on.
Miller - Thank you for clarifying that. I didn't know about defaulting to the lowest ISO until I saw something about it in the manual today, but I didn't catch that it was only if ISO was set to AUTO.

I have a lot to learn. Now that I have some practical experience and a little knowledge under my belt, I need to re-read the manual from scratch to catch the things I missed the first time through.

Betty
01-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Miller - Thank you for clarifying that. I didn't know about defaulting to the lowest ISO until I saw something about it in the manual today, but I didn't catch that it was only if ISO was set to AUTO.

I have a lot to learn. Now that I have some practical experience and a little knowledge under my belt, I need to re-read the manual from scratch to catch the things I missed the first time through.

Betty
Betty, don't feel bad about needing to re-read the manual - I've had an *ist DS for about 2 years and STILL don't know all it can do. I'm constanting finding references on this or other forums to "functions" I didn't catch the first 27 times through the manual!!
01-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Betty, don't feel bad about needing to re-read the manual - I've had an *ist DS for about 2 years and STILL don't know all it can do. I'm constanting finding references on this or other forums to "functions" I didn't catch the first 27 times through the manual!!
Chip -

So then, I only have 26 more times to go!!

Betty
01-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

Yes, the photographer may need to take action to adjust the exposure but the camera will not change any settings automatically by overriding your settings while in <M>anual mode.
i.e. the reason behind me explicitly saying of "You may need to change the Shutter/ISO/Aperture as you see fit ...". I didn't think I needed to emphasize "You" beyond that.

But I read your clarification Betty. I get it now, thanx.

Last edited by m8o; 01-18-2008 at 08:40 PM.
01-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

Miller
I learned a short-cut a few weeks back on this board. If you press the OK button, it allows you to both see, and use the dial (I forget if the front or rear @ the moment, but I think front dial) to change your ISO to any value you choose, w/o having to go into the menu.

I wub my K10D, and its dual dials!

edit: oops, I foget which firmware revision you need to be running to be able to do this. Not sure if it's 1.3 or a lower version does it too.
01-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I learned a short-cut a few weeks back on this board. If you press the OK button, it allows you to both see, and use the dial (I forget if the front or rear @ the moment, but I think front dial) to change your ISO to any value you choose, w/o having to go into the menu.

I wub my K10D, and its dual dials!

edit: oops, I foget which firmware revision you need to be running to be able to do this. Not sure if it's 1.3 or a lower version does it too.
Thanks for the tip. This site is awesome. I had a good feeling about the K10D a year ago but now that I have one, I like it even better.