Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Linking AE to AF Point during Multi-Segment Metering

Hi, could someone explain what exactly does this do please?
did anyone experiment with it using K5 and K7?
when it is useful, in what light conditions?
kind regards
jack

05-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Multisegment metering divides the frame up into a bunch of regions, meters each, then goes through some sort of fancy algorithm to decide what overall exposure to use. If you link AE to AF point, then that algorithm takes into account where you focused, otherwise it doesn't. So in the case of a subject with a bright background, regular multisegment might render the subject darker to avoid making the background too bright. If you link AE to AF point, it will try to expose your subject with less concern for the background. not complete disregard - it doesn't change it into spot metering. But it gives more weight to your subject.

As for when to use it, I wouldn't think of it as being for specific light conditions - it's more a personal preference thing. Although I suppose for some, their preferences might change with different subjects.
05-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

To amplify Marc's reply, linking AE to AF has no effect on my photographs because I never use multi-point autofocus. Anyone else using centre point only for AF will not see any difference at all.
05-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you All,
I could not see much diference , hence my question, need to do more experiments.
kind regards
jack