Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
Inactive Account

@mareket Yep, same reason we can't find wallpaper hardly anywhere. People would take numbers from the back of the books then go home and call the slimy adds in magazines for 50% off. So now.. no more wallpaper books in retail stores. Not enough integrity in people. Why i'm glad lens prices went up to level the playing field.

Last edited by rolis10; 05-23-2012 at 08:23 AM.
05-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
What store is that?
I think it was Home - Spectrum TCR LTD. I went in hoping I could see how the DA 35 feels, but they wouldn't let me. He reckoned its a better idea to buy a lens if you want to see how it feels, and if it isn't right, sell it afterwards. The limiteds hold their value quite well he said.
05-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcamero Quote
A local store, (Camera Craft)
Yep. That there has got to be somekind of award!

I see many bits that are hard to see in real life.

O-gps-1 is there!
Teleconverters!
Some little bits in OEM Pentax Ziplocks!
The K-r AA battery insert!
Tamron 70-200/2.8 and the BIGMA!
All the current Pentax flashes!

Definitely an award!
05-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep. That there has got to be somekind of award!

I see many bits that are hard to see in real life.

O-gps-1 is there!
Teleconverters!
Some little bits in OEM Pentax Ziplocks!
The K-r AA battery insert!
Tamron 70-200/2.8 and the BIGMA!
All the current Pentax flashes!

Definitely an award!
Now that some time has passed so it doesn't look like I am trying to shamelessly cash in on the dearth of Pentax displays, I do want to thank the folks for the kind comments about Camera Craft. However this photo does sort of show an anemic representation, as there are lenses that are missing from my normal assortment. While it's not quite like the one Professional store mentioned that had everything but no one could touch it, our assortment of Pentax lenses usually has five or six more pieces that are absent from the photo.

I have definitely been baffled by other retailer's unwillingness to carry the brand, but in the process of doing my research as a buyer I am finding more and more stores starting to pick up the brand again. The selections aren't always really broad, and it looks like they are just dipping their toes in with Optio WG-2's or binoculars, it's still a good sign. If you happen upon a store that has a small smattering of Pentax and you would like to see more, inquire about products they don't have. As stores get requests for products they become more inclined to carry them. That's also the way to propel the Unilateral Pricing Policy to start having the effect it's supposed to have. As retailers start to build their inventory to meet demand they can do so confidently with the playing field not so badly skewed.

Also don't forget to support the retailers you have always supported because they stuck with Pentax. If B&H or Adorama or ACE or Samy's or whoever is your retailer of choice, you can have the confidence that they will be dealing with you on an honest level. One of the great aspects of the UPP is as time shakes out any glaring inventory/price imbalances, the retailer will be able to focus on the customer and the product better without having to concern himself with surviving a sales pitch. That should greatly elevate the quality of the conversation you can have with your favorite retailers.

Thanks again for the kind words and the award.

05-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
Pentaxian

O-gps-1 is there!
I was just at the biggest photo-gear expo in Canada, and Pentax Corporate didn't have an O-GPS1 on display!

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
That's also the way to propel the Unilateral Pricing Policy to start having the effect it's supposed to have. As retailers start to build their inventory to meet demand they can do so confidently with the playing field not so badly skewed.
I think this is the market-driven idea that most people miss when they first saw US prices "jump up." Holding a Pentax does more for sales than having a "Gold" rating on dpreview and a link to Amazon! (At the same photo-gear expo, I handed my K-5 to a Nikon rep while I tried out a (huge & heavy) D800, and she said "Ooh, this is a tank of a small camera!" ...in a good way, I think.)
05-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I was just at the biggest photo-gear expo in Canada, and Pentax Corporate didn't have an O-GPS1 on display!
Unforgivable.
05-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Unforgivable.
No kidding. That was really the only thing I was interested in, and it's tiny! Of course it wouldn't work indoors... but instead they filled the display cases with Ricoh GXRs, Q's and many pre-pro K-30s...

(Yes, the AF-C is faster than my K-5.)

It was also odd to read the Canadian MSRP list for lenses... with the DA*50-135mm at a comfy $1199.

05-28-2012, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
There was an O-GPS1 box on display at the bottom of one of the cabinets. I remember noticing it because I still have the box for mine.

However, they should have had at least one mounted on one of the display cameras. Even if it couldn't pick up GPS they could still have showed off the menus for it.
05-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This type of stuff just drives me absolutely insane. Pentax has something pretty unique in the AstroTracking capability of the O-GPS1. Put it out and inform the folks, so that when it gets into the retail stores the folks behind the counter can describe and market it correctly.

I read an awful lot of posts saying, that you just have to go hold the camera. However, with Pentax just mail order - it becomes pretty difficult to do. Anyway, I think a bit of common sense would do a lot for Pentax. Unfortunately, it appears to still be lacking in a lot of situations.

06-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #25

I don't think there is one brick and mortar camera store in the entire state of California that carries the Pentax line. Fry's electronics is the only store I know of that carries Pentax DSLR bodies but they don't really carry the line. The get a few camera bodies in from time to time- sometimes there is a display model, sometimes not. No Pentax accessories except for one lens.

I was in my local CanNikon store some time ago on a day when the Vendor representatives were there all day with tables set up and had all their lenses displayed. They were answering questions and showing people their products. One was a Canon rep and the other was a Third party lens rep. (brand will remain unmentioned here)
Anyway, I had some questions about the lenses and was talking to the third party brand rep when he asked me what I shoot with and when I said Pentax, he said "Oh you shoot with Pentax". And then without hesitation and with the Canon rep standing right next to him and the store personnel within ear shot he said "You know, Pentax makes the best cameras. Hands down. Their product is the best. But they are also the most difficult to deal with. They just really are".

It made me feel a little vindicated in my decision to go with the Pentax system, but I also felt a little sad as well to hear that.

Last edited by Drom; 06-10-2012 at 11:38 AM.
06-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Ouch! I wonder why Pentax can't make inroads in the US.....
06-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clearly a PP of a Nikon display, you actually expect us to believe that a camera retailer would use that much space for Pentax? Do you think we are stupid?

The pricing policy was indeed critical, just so long as they pick price points that don't push products out of the reach of the wallets that would have bought them when compared to other systems.

The future of camera stores is like the future of scuba stores, a complete internet (website, ebay and amazon) and mail order presence is 100% critical to survival, a scuba equivalent to B&H or Adorama is Scuba Toys, which is a brick and mortar scuba store that you can even ship your gear to for service, but they have a large warehouse attached and deal in large enough volume so that they can take on any reputable online seller. Plus with the collapse of film and reasonably priced cameras (the value of the Yen compared to 1985 doesn't help either) there are so few people that need a DSLR over a point and shoot enough to pay the massive prices involved that the market doesn't support more than a few scattered brick and mortar camera stores over huge areas. The point and shoots are pretty solidly serviced by places like Walmart and the prices on those due to the sort of market it is and the popularity of camera phones are cut throat cut corners cut whatever you can to be cheaper even if it breaks on you after one week. I honestly see point and shoots going away with the gap filled by advanced camera phones and things like the lower end DSLR's and mirrorless stuff.
06-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I am totally jealous of seeing any Pentax on display. I find it amazing that in Pittsburgh I have no choice but to go online. If I had a display like that only 40 miles from me I would also have no money.
06-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #29

Original Poster
PPPPPP42, Are you being sarcastic?
06-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Clearly a PP of a Nikon display, you actually expect us to believe that a camera retailer would use that much space for Pentax? Do you think we are stupid?
Yup that was supposed to be a joke, guess it wasn't obvious enough.