Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 09:32 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax - Combat Proven

I had hurt my knee (see Update Number *Six* From my Afghan Deployment - 2 May (11 photos) for the full tale of my dumbassery), so instead of dismounting, I relieved the gunner so he could dismount a bit (he's been dying to get out of the turret from time to time anyway). While I was in there, I had my K-5 + grip with my new DA* 60-250 f/4 mounted on it. I of course had my primary duties of being the gunner, however I had the camera to take some photos when opportunities arose. At the end of the convoy movement, there was a LARGE open area surrounded by mountains that would act as our staging area for all the vehicles to pass through before dispersing to wherever their mission dictated them to go. While waiting for the rest of the vehicles to file through, we started receiving contact from enemy insurgents located on top of the ridgeline.

My Pentax K-5 has now earned the coveted Combat Action Badge

-Heie

05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome picture, keep safe. We appreciate your service.
05-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ought'a paint the ribbon on the flash hood -- an' axially bore sight the 60-250 to the 50 mount.

Hang tough.

H2
05-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! Also, I forgot to add that this was not staged, but rather everything was "as it was" - meaning the camera was there from the start of the enemy fire being received (my hands were on the gun at that time) and the shell casings and links fell on the camera/lens while the .50 cal was being fired.

Also, Pacerr, regarding axially bore sighting the lens to the mount - I wish I could take you into my vehicle to see the gun/camera system we have (different vehicle - the above picture was a regular gun turret that we borrowed while our vic was in the shop for repairs). While not divulging too much information, I'll divulge this: it would blow your mind

Thanks again all!

-Heie

05-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for the continuing photo stream and snippets of life over there. They're a real antidote to the slop served to us by the agenda-driven meeja. Keep safe!

BFN
David
05-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yep, I agree it's nice to have a "direct feed" BTW are you the 'Heie2' on DPR by any chance?
05-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot there Alex, what did you use to take the pic?? Thanks for another snippet... Be safe.Cliff

05-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
Thank you for the continuing photo stream and snippets of life over there. They're a real antidote to the slop served to us by the agenda-driven meeja. Keep safe! BFN David
Thank you for stopping by! I appreciate the compliments - I have lost faith in the agenda wars a long time ago...

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Yep, I agree it's nice to have a "direct feed" BTW are you the 'Heie2' on DPR by any chance?
Depends on who you ask But yes, I am. I went to Heie2 when I no longer remembered my password nor my email address for my original, Heie. But what makes you ask? Are you a Pentax representative that is here to finally pay me my earned commission for selling/defending Pentax whenever possible?

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Great shot there Alex, what did you use to take the pic?? Thanks for another snippet... Be safe.Cliff
Thanks much, Cliff! My NCO had his new Pentax WG-2 (as recommended to him by yours truly ) with him that I used.

-Heie
05-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I checked out your other links after seeing this. A great set of photos and the write-ups were just as interesting.
05-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I checked out your other links after seeing this. A great set of photos and the write-ups were just as interesting.
Thank you very much! I will have Update *Seven* posted shortly as soon as I get the chance to go through and process all the photos I've been taking - turns out if you put them off (by nature of being a combination of lazy and busy lol) then they pile up on you...who'da thunk it?

-Heie
05-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I had my K-5 + grip with my new DA* 60-250 f/4 mounted on it
My favorite lens bar none! My k5/DA*60-250 has survived backpacking trips in the rain and mud (washed off with a water bottle), boy Scout camps and up close and in the smoke/debris at several fire scenes (while I am off duty of course) so I have no doubt that it could survive combat and nothing short of a projectile thru it will stop it!

Love your "Updates" series by the way! It gives me an idea what one of the guys from my station (who is also retired from the CanForces and remained on as a reservist) lived when he was released from work to be deployed for a year in Afghanistan 2 years ago.

Pat
05-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Depends on who you ask But yes, I am. I went to Heie2 when I no longer remembered my password nor my email address for my original, Heie. But what makes you ask? Are you a Pentax representative that is here to finally pay me my earned commission for selling/defending Pentax whenever possible?
I don't know if 'defending Pentax' is usually something taken *quite* that literally. The last time a Pentax was defended with a .50 caliber machine gun might have been back in Vietnam or something.

QuoteQuote:
Thanks much, Cliff! My NCO had his new Pentax WG-2 (as recommended to him by yours truly ) with him that I used.

-Heie

It's like the official Pentaxian brigade over there. (Hey, by the way, is that stock strap sufficient for you, there? Maybe we can work up a care package. )
05-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #13

HEIE,

First, thanks for standing the watch for the rest of us. Keep the pics and updates coming.

Our friend is over in the A-stan on his 5th tour (3 Iraq ..2nd there). He was on the the post 9/11 invasion of Iraq as a 1st Lt, now he is a Maj. He said don't believe most of what you see on the news....

Clear head, sharp eye, and keep your ass tucked in...God Bless.

JB
05-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

But what makes you ask? Are you a Pentax representative that is here to finally pay me my earned commission for selling/defending Pentax whenever possible?
Sorry, no actually you replied to one of my threads (unotisto nick) and I sort of figured might be you. (Wow, I'm an Einstein in the making, aren't I? ;D)
05-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
He said don't believe most of what you see on the news...
JB
Way off topic here, but I sincerely want to know, what do you see in the news?