Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Idea for new feature

I'm sure I'm not the first guy to come up with this idea, but here goes:

Software-programmable buttons. Basically an expansion of the "green button", only there would be 3 of them, and they would be programmable to any function on the camera. Some people don't want a RAW/JPG button... Some do. Some would like an easy way to switch in & out of HDR modes... Others don't. You could assign the 3 buttons to those functions, resolution, metering patterns, a digital filter, AF point mode, auto-bracket on/off... whatever you want.

Here's a quick & dirty photoshop mock-up just to convey the idea:

I think it would be handy, anyway.

P.S. - A further refinement, which I just thought of after I did the photoshop mock-up would be to indicate the status of the setting on the display rather than just the function... The HDR button could say "HDR OFF" or "HDR ON", for instance. The middle button could say either RAW or JPG, but not both, to avoid confusion.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

05-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nifty idea! Send it to Pentax. And hope that Canikonympus don't steal it.
05-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Sweet idea, but where to place the three buttons. What finger is going to reach them. Why three buttons and not five. How to differentiate between buttons without taking the camera off the eye.

AND if you only have programmable buttons for certain functions, many people would not get it - they need to be told what button is important.
05-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Forum Member

Wherever they fit and are easily accessible (unlike the red and green buttons on the K01).

Three is the highest number humans can work with instinctively (i.e. without mental effort). Plus two is not enough and four is too many, atmo.

Differentiate by feel, same as any other button.

Give people two or three standard options for common functions, then let them change them if they want.

05-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep. What Joe Nation said. If I had a thing like that on my camera, I'd use it. Your mileage may vary.