Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New K100D + flash icon problem

I got a K100 for Christmas (YEAH!) and have had a blast with it so far but have run into a problem. The flash indicator light (lightning bolt) comes on in low light situations and my camera won't self select any exposure greater than ~1.5". (my flash is set to manual and is closed) The shutter speed and F stop indicator also flash in the view finder under these circumstances. How do I turn this off, or is my camera messed up?
I can't find a reference to this problem anywhere!
Thanks!

12-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I think there is an option in the menus someplace to select whether to allow
the camera to take a shot if the flash isn't ready. You could try turning this off.
12-29-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What shooting mode are you in? P or AutoPict (green)? I think the cam is giving you an underexposure warning.
12-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It is in any of the modes other than M. If the camera is supposed to select a shutter speed it won't go any higher than 1.5". Your assumption sounds correct but how do I fix the problem? It wouldn't under expose if it would increase the shutter speed. If only cameras had a mind of their own . I have an RMA now unless someone can tell me how to fix it. The guy at Pentax was friendly but no help. He said to send it in.

12-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by msmy300z Quote
It is in any of the modes other than M. If the camera is supposed to select a shutter speed it won't go any higher than 1.5". Your assumption sounds correct but how do I fix the problem? It wouldn't under expose if it would increase the shutter speed. If only cameras had a mind of their own . I have an RMA now unless someone can tell me how to fix it. The guy at Pentax was friendly but no help. He said to send it in.
I'm guessing that your camera is saying that the flash needs to be up to compensate for insufficient lighting. In the scn mode and AutoPict (Green) mode, it will seem that the camera acts in the way you have mentioned. You may not be able to adjust the shutter or aperture.

You also mentioned your camera is in manual flash mode. Have you tried to pop it up and see what happens - is the icon still flashing?
12-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No, it works fine if I allow the flash to pop up. The problem is that it won't allow me to take a long exposure without the flash except in manual or Tv. I know that it was working fine in auto or the other modes when I got it but it has decided to go haywire now. (I had a few exposures where it accidentally tried to hold a 30" exposure )
12-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The only other thing I can think of is this (Leaton's suggestion):

Menu > Go to "Custom Setting" tab > Check Mark "Setting" > Make sure option 1 is selected for "Release when Chrging".

I can't think of anything else. Any other K100D owners out there who can help out?

01-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, so here we go again...... Either I am a novice (yes) and Pentax customer support gave me bad info or I have now had 2 bad cameras....

I received my new camera today and have taken it out for some pictures and have the same problem I had with the other.
What is the longest shutter speed on the k100D (outside of Tv and M) I know this camera does 30" exposures but is the only way to get greater than 1.5" is to use Tv , M, or B? I swear that the first camera would take an 8" or greater exposure automatically when I first got it....

I also called Pentax on the first camera and explained in detail the same problem and he told me I had a faulty light sensor and to return it. What are the odds of getting 2 bad cameras? I would never have sent the first one back if it wasn't for Pentax telling me it was defective.

Sorry for the rant but I'm frustrated!
01-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Forum Member

I've seen something that may be the same thing - on my K100D.
I think that the light sensor only works within a certain range.
When it gets below a certain light level, rather than giving up,
it comes up with wildly incorrect exposure settings. I've seen this
a couple times. When it happened, it was so obvious, I could
recognize it as wrong just from my own eyeballs - poor light sensors.
01-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #10

What is the longest shutter speed on the k100D (outside of Tv and M) I know this camera does 30" exposures but is the only way to get greater than 1.5" is to use Tv , M, or B? I swear that the first camera would take an 8" or greater exposure automatically when I first got it....
!
Tour problem is not getting long shutter speeds now? Unless they screwed up and sent you the same camera back, it could be pilot error.

Try this. Use Av mode. Use ISO 200. Drop the aperture from wide open to stopped down and see where the shutter speed goes. If you're indoors, it should go longer than 1.5 seconds. Put your hand over the lens. You would expect it to go all the way to 30 seconds with a lens cap on, but mine hovers around 10 sec. Perhaps my meter is still metering.

Last edited by chedoy; 01-10-2007 at 09:38 AM. Reason: clarity
01-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah.... I think it was pilot error. I can get longer shutter speeds in Av. Can anyone confirm that they cannot get longer than 1.5 sec in "auto pict"

I am a little miffed that the Pentax customer support couldn't tell me that it was pilot error... It says in the box to not return it until talking to Pentax.... I did and was given bad information.
On a good note though, I am very, very pleased with my K100D!
01-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

[QUOTE=msmy300z;17007]Yeah.... I think it was pilot error. I can get longer shutter speeds in Av. Can anyone confirm that they cannot get longer than 1.5 sec in "auto pict"

QUOTE]

Mine goes to only go to 1.5 sec in auto pic and manual flash down as well. I doubt it is a defect, however. It is the auto programming. For intentionally long exposures, you set the shutter speed as you would expect, since that is what you are choosing.

Pentax CS probably did not know the specific program limits. Nobody knows everything :-)
01-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chedoy Quote
Tour problem is not getting long shutter speeds now? Unless they screwed up and sent you the same camera back, it could be pilot error.

Try this. Use Av mode. Use ISO 200. Drop the aperture from wide open to stopped down and see where the shutter speed goes. If you're indoors, it should go longer than 1.5 seconds. Put your hand over the lens. You would expect it to go all the way to 30 seconds with a lens cap on, but mine hovers around 10 sec. Perhaps my meter is still metering.
Light enters through the viewfinder which could be the reason for the hovering.
01-10-2007, 08:21 PM   #14

Yeah.... I think it was pilot error. I can get longer shutter speeds in Av. Can anyone confirm that they cannot get longer than 1.5 sec in "auto pict"
Well, this is the first and last time in auto-pict. Yes, 4 seconds with hand over lens and light coming in via viewfinder.
01-13-2007, 04:48 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

Pentax CS probably did not know the specific program limits. Nobody knows everything :-)
Why not. It's what they're taking your money for.