Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-7 Silver Limited vs K-r Pink with baby blue grip

I just recently decide to sell my pentax k-7 silver limited as I have a pink k-r from my wife to use if I need to. Now I am really wondering, did I make the right choice? I don't know but maybe all you guys can give me some opinion? The silver limited doesn't give me any additional IQ improvement... but.. they indeed look sexy with the FA limited silver... did I really make the right choice??

05-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

All I can say is it takes a real man to wear pink!
05-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty sure the K-r does indeed have a better IQ than the K-7... However a lot depends on what you plan to do with your camera, the K-7 has its own strengths (WR etc...). It also depends if you are prepared to go out and shoot with a pink and baby blue camera
Personally I think I would rather sell the K-r and keep the K-7
05-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Tonto, British businessmen wear pink button-down shirts all the time

To the OP, If you're in doubt, then it's because you don't know what you'll miss from the K-7, and then you've
made the right choice.

You'll go without the K-7's weathersealing, two wheels, metal construction, top lcd, lots of buttons.
You'll gain the K-r's better image quality, esp. in low light.

Regards,
--Anders.

05-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The K-r is a good camera. The K-7 is a good camera. I'd say grab the gaffer tape and turn that pink K-r into a black one.
05-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it all depends on you. I have the K-7, and have no issues with IQ (then again, I don't really pixel peep that much. if it looks good on screen, it will look good on A4 print, even if at 100% you might think it deosn't look good).

Just don't go shooting gay pride parades with the k-x, people might get the wrong idea
05-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all! Actually the biggest thing I miss is the limited production of silver K-7... being the limited group you don't get to see the same camera with all the other people and asp1880 you are right that I miss the the WR, 2 dials, top LCD, buttons, grip option, metal construction. But at the same time, these are only the things that make taking a picture convenience. But IQ is probably the most important isn't it? Especially in high iso since I do take pictures mostly in low light area... in my opinion, IQ can never replaced by anything... I guess I made the right choice!
05-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
It also depends if you are prepared to go out and shoot with a pink and baby blue camera
I am prepared to use it! in fact, I have use it quite a few times since it is much lighter than the K-7 with grip! But I guess I am also prepared to get the K-30 as well...

05-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed ..

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
I'm pretty sure the K-r does indeed have a better IQ than the K-7... However a lot depends on what you plan to do with your camera, the K-7 has its own strengths (WR etc...). It also depends if you are prepared to go out and shoot with a pink and baby blue camera
Personally I think I would rather sell the K-r and keep the K-7
Bonjour,

I once had a K-7 and a K-r at the same time ... K-r = "better" IQ inside/noise, but K-7 a lot better elsewhere, 2 wheeled, other ergo's, WR, brick tough, etc. and the sensor is not "that bad" if you stay within its workable range ... a "richer" look to it outdoors plus in portraits.

I sold the K-7 to finance the K-5 and the K-r might be on the block soon for a K 30 due to WR and it's feature set ... BTW, the K-r is my wife's DSLR.

My point = K7/5 body feature set is better overall IMHO.

Salut, John le Frog
05-24-2012, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

I once had a K-7 and a K-r at the same time ... K-r = "better" IQ inside/noise, but K-7 a lot better elsewhere, 2 wheeled, other ergo's, WR, brick tough, etc. and the sensor is not "that bad" if you stay within its workable range ... a "richer" look to it outdoors plus in portraits.

I sold the K-7 to finance the K-5 and the K-r might be on the block soon for a K 30 due to WR and it's feature set ... BTW, the K-r is my wife's DSLR.

My point = K7/5 body feature set is better overall IMHO.

Salut, John le Frog
That is correct! K-7/5 may provide better feature but IQ wise... K-r seems to be better than K-7...
05-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yen800 Quote
But I guess I am also prepared to get the K-30 as well...
Well yes, there's always that: sell both and get a new one
05-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

problem solved.

05-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have both the Kx and K7- they make a great combo- Kx when I need higher ISO speed and compactness paired with smaller slow lenses.
K7 when I want more control and holding with bigger fast lenses.
The side by side picture quality for me between the two is a wash (I haven't used a Kr though.
But the better control of the K7 gets me better pictures overall.
Obviously a K30/K5 would be the best mix of both although you give up some compactness.