Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is K-3 a joke?

Hi, is K-3 a April fool's joke? I joined the crowd to voice the opinion not long ago. When will the full frame Pentax be real?

05-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes the K-3 posting from April was a joke. We expect a new higher end camera (or 2) within a few months. It may or may not actually be called the K-3.

As for a larger than APS-C frame, there are lots of rumors about it. Some say it will be announced in September, others say 2013, others say never.
05-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well that was a joke. If a K-3 is coming then it probably will be an aps-c camera following the K-7/K-5 line.

Lets make this a I'm a Full Frame Believer! thread!

PhotoKina it is!
05-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a firm believer in the statements to date of the pentax marketing department (Please do not laugh they really do have one, and this is about the only thing that is consistant with them)

Pentax is firmly committed to the APS-C format

my believe in a full frame camera is on par with my ability to hit a one iron, and since God can't hit a one iron there is little fear of me doing it!

05-24-2012, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am a firm believer in the statements to date of the pentax marketing department (Please do not laugh they really do have one, and this is about the only thing that is consistant with them)

Pentax is firmly committed to the APS-C format

my believe in a full frame camera is on par with my ability to hit a one iron, and since God can't hit a one iron there is little fear of me doing it!
I don't golf so I can still believe. koolaid
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #6

"Joke" might be too tactful a word.

Generally, April Fool's jokes have punchlines of sorts, or some sort of escalating silliness that reveals themselves.

What PentaxForums put up was just nasty teasing.

Kind of like saying to someone: "Hey, I bought you a cake." "Really?" "Nah, just kidding. April Fools!"

Or, "Congratulations, it's a healthy baby boy!" "Really?" "Nah. April Fools! It was stillborn, and your wife died too."
05-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't see why Pentaxians want a Full Frame so badly, Pentax has already released dozens of them - And they're cheaper than their APS-C even. They just require you to change their sensors between shots.

05-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
I don't see why Pentaxians want a Full Frame so badly, Pentax has already released dozens of them - And they're cheaper than their APS-C even. They just require you to change their sensors between shots.
Some of us actually have dozens of them.
05-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Perhaps we should change the name "Photokina" to "PhotonKina" and then it might get here faster! After seeing the K-30 I'm wondering if it's time to sell the K-5's as I fear they'll be worthless on the used market when the new camera arrives. It will have to be a pretty special offering based on what we've seen in this new model.
05-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
People are all serious at that time .
05-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Regardless, I hope Pentax saves that model number for FF (never say never) rather than APS-C.
05-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
People are all serious at that time .
So it seems.
Attached Images

05-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #13

Yea, the K30 sounds pretty sweet. 100% view finder, 9 out of 11 AF sensors are cross types, weather sealed body, etc.

Maybe, just maybe, the K30 is a trial balloon. Then, they will pop a Full sized sensor in something called a K-3 with similar specs, and a few more beautiful features that Pentax is known for.

Nikon (been there, done that) calls their top of the line fullframe cameras D and then a single digit.

So, Pentax can call their top line FF K-then a single digit.

Sounds like a plan.

I don't play golf either (OK a little miniature but certainly doesn't disqualify me from believing!!), so I can still BELIEVE and hope and cross fingers and toes and be happy that I just recently acquired the SMC FA 50 mm 1.7 lens. Now I have something to pop on my new Pentax FF when she arrives by post .....

Cannot wait to say "Ah do believe"
05-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
So it seems.
Don't get me wrong. I love jokes. Japes, jests, gotchas, etc. First thing I do on April 1 is go look at what fun things google's put up. And I have no interest in a FF Pentax, so I don't have a dog in that race.. The problem is, what Pentaxforums did was not a joke. It just wasn't. There was no punchline. It wasn't funny. It was just a mean-spirited trick.

Now, had they announced that the K-3 was coming, but that it had an 8x10" sensor and cost $150,000, or that it hovered, or that it used complex algorithms to automatically delete badly composed pictures ... now that would have been funny, or at least, mildly amusing.
05-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
Don't get me wrong. I love jokes. Japes, jests, gotchas, etc. First thing I do on April 1 is go look at what fun things google's put up. And I have no interest in a FF Pentax, so I don't have a dog in that race.. The problem is, what Pentaxforums did was not a joke. It just wasn't. There was no punchline. It wasn't funny. It was just a mean-spirited trick.

Now, had they announced that the K-3 was coming, but that it had an 8x10" sensor and cost $150,000, or that it hovered, or that it used complex algorithms to automatically delete badly composed pictures ... now that would have been funny, or at least, mildly amusing.
I thought it was incredibly funny. The funniest part is the way that people took it personally. Like Adam reached into your soul and ripped it out.

Give me a break. The ones that would pull out their eye teeth for a full frame camera and worked themselves into a froth about a joke posting just look foolish to everyone else when they say that it was mean-spirited.