Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #16

Are you replying to me? Did you read my message? I don't want a FF Pentax (have one, thanks.) And I still think it was not funny.

I know funny. Spaghetti trees is funny. Ancient Nikon Bokehmeter is funny. Google's autocomplete being done by a guy who types really fast? Funny!Made up specs for K-3? Not so much ...

05-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The joke is not the FF, but all the angst. Should jokes be more subtle, or more obvious? Isn't the point of a "practical joke" that someone fall for it totally? Announcing a digital 6x9cm folder with control via brain implants might have aroused a chuckle. But people getting sucked-in by manipulating their hopes and fantasies -- THAT'S a horse-laugh! What's funny (except for the victims) isn't the announcement, but the reaction. Especially on 1 April. If extraordinary claims are made on 1 April, be skeptical, eh?
05-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #18

Which would be "nasty" and "mean-spirited," no?

I guess I must be in the minority, cause I don't think meanness = funny.
05-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote

On any other day but April 1st, maybe. April 1st provides the punchline.

05-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
On any other day but April 1st, maybe. April 1st provides the punchline.
I suppose. If your April 1st standards are really, really, really low.

Perhaps then it would be more fun to, on April 1st, sneak up behind someone and whack them on the head with a baseball bat, while screaming "April Fools, sucker!"?
05-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you replying to me? Did you read my message? I don't want a FF Pentax (have one, thanks.) And I still think it was not funny.

I know funny. Spaghetti trees is funny. Ancient Nikon Bokehmeter is funny. Google's autocomplete being done by a guy who types really fast? Funny!Made up specs for K-3? Not so much ...
I wouldn't have quoted your post if I wasn't replying to it...
05-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't want a full frame because I would have to buy new lenses! Those thigns are expen$$ive.

05-25-2012, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I suppose. If your April 1st standards are really, really, really low.

Perhaps then it would be more fun to, on April 1st, sneak up behind someone and whack them on the head with a baseball bat, while screaming "April Fools, sucker!"?
But it was nothing like that. There was no violence, and no one was even momentarily led to believe something *bad* -- they were led to believe something *good*, and then they were disappointed when they realized it wasn't true. This no doubt was momentarily unpleasant and humbling. THAT'S THE POINT! The joke only "works" on you if you are going to get all worked up about an announcement *FOR A CAMERA*. (In spite of it being April's Fools Day when you should know better.) That's what April's Fools Day is all about -- being fooled and humbled. Having your ego poked in this way is GOOD for you. Think about what's really going on instead of your contrived examples -- someone thinks for a minute "I want it I want it I want it!" like a little baby and then they find out they can't really have it. Boo hoo! Life sucks!

You can say it is mean, but then it is not "Pentax Forums" that is mean, it is the entire concept of April Fools Day. The joke fit in perfectly with the spirit of the day. You wanted it to be exaggerated and OBVIOUSLY a joke so everyone gets let off the hook easily (and not humbled), but that misses the whole point. The joke you wanted is appropriate for the other 364 days of the year. We can't have some fun with people's inflated egos and selfish desires one day a year? Sheesh...

Last edited by vonBaloney; 05-25-2012 at 09:24 PM.
05-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

If someone setup a bogus pre-order site and took peoples money for deposits, that would be mean-spirited.
05-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If someone setup a bogus pre-order site and took peoples money for deposits, that would be mean-spirited.
Why didn't I think of that? Through a russiam proxy of course...
05-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I don't want a full frame because I would have to buy new lenses! Those thigns are expen$$ive.
Are many fine FF lenses around, used, cheap, glorious, no problem. No, I fear ultra-megapickle cameras because of all those megapickles and the very co$tlier new computer workstation and programs needed to work on them. Life was so much simpler (and cheaper) with 1.1mpx image files...
05-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #27
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Are many fine FF lenses around, used, cheap, glorious, no problem. No, I fear ultra-megapickle cameras because of all those megapickles and the very co$tlier new computer workstation and programs needed to work on them. Life was so much simpler (and cheaper) with 1.1mpx image files...
I just built a 6 core, 16 gb ram, 3tb hard drive space with the programs and OS on an SSD monster. I can handle that! Of course I'd have to shrink the files to usable size for my site.....
05-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I just built a 6 core, 16 gb ram, 3tb hard drive space with the programs and OS on an SSD monster. I can handle that! Of course I'd have to shrink the files to usable size for my site.....
And I use only laptops (ranging from 10" to 20") for various good reasons. (*) It's rather hard and costly to get a high-performance folding workstation. Ratz.

(*) Various good reasons:

* I journey. Anything left behind is obsolete by the time I return.
* Even with a UPS, it's good to be somewhat insulated from power failures.
* In my desktop era, I spent my life swapping hardware and rewriting BIOSes. With laptops, I actually accomplish stuff!
* It's easy to fold down a screen if I have something to hide.
05-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #29
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Hideable foldable screens! I do keep a laptop (or two or three) around for travel or data monitoring on my car, but I use the desktop machine all the time.

I can only imagine 50-100 mb RAW files though.
05-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Or, "Congratulations, it's a healthy baby boy!" "Really?" "Nah. April Fools! It was stillborn, and your wife died too."
Well, I guess your nickname fits you like a glove.
I think it was a good joke, give it a rest.
A joke has to be credible and not too obvious