Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Microfocus adjustment settings on various Pentax cameras

I have a K-x which I very much like. I also discovered that some lenses I like better than others, just in terms of getting sharper pictures. I then discovered that you can use the DEBUG function to make microfocus adjustments. It makes a big difference!
For example, my DA 18-135 is best at +160.
The DAL 55-300 at +70.
The DA 16-45 at +100.

It turns out that the K-x can only have a single microfocus setting at a time. So, when I switch lenses, I need to switch microfocus. Kind of a pain... Putting it an average setting, say +110, really doesn't give best results for any lens.

So, I'm trying to determine if the other Pentax cameras are able to 'remember' microfocus settings for each lens. (Somewhere I think I recall reading this, but I can't find it now.)
This would be a fairly significant reason to move up to the K-r or K-5 or -- dare I dream--the K-30.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

05-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

in chronological order.
K20D, K7, K5 and the K30
05-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Yeah, the single lens microfocus adjustment limitation on the K-x and K-r is a bummer ... fortunately I don't need to use an undocumented debug mode on the K-r to make adjustments; it's in the standard menu. I leave it tweaked for my kit DA L 18-55 for two reasons. First it is my most commonly used auto focus lens, and second my other autofocus lens are all longer and hopefully my subject will be within the hyperfocus range of any used f/stop. Obviously the whole subject is moot when I use any of my manual focus lens.
05-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I leave it tweaked for my kit DA L 18-55 for two reasons. First it is my most commonly used auto focus lens, and second my other autofocus lens are all longer and hopefully my subject will be within the hyperfocus range of any used f/stop.
Run the numbers on it and you will see that hyperfocal distance is closer by with wider lenses then with longer lenses.

05-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping the K-r would be an option. I guess I start saving for that K-30...
@JimJohnson: I never was happy w/ the DAL 18-55 kit lens for sharpness, but that was before I knew about microfocus adjustment. (And it's why I bought the 16-45 which is great but a bit too short so then went to the 18-135.) I should check and see if that would improve my opinion of it.
05-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

K-30 with 18-135 would be a great kit together.
05-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Run the numbers on it and you will see that hyperfocal distance is closer by with wider lenses then with longer lenses.
If I understand your response (and I think I do), I would have to say 'half-true', but that statement is based on my typical shooting style and may not apply to anyone else.

When I reach for a longer lens, I also tend to be aiming at subjects that are somewhat closer to infinity focus. At that range, the depth of focus tends to be deep enough to cover any errors in critical focus. If on the other hand, I was shooting at the closer end of the focusing range using a longer lens, you are absolutely correct. The depth of focus can be razor thin. Those are also the circumstances in my photography where I have time to put my brain to use and hand tweak both focus and exposure.