Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Focus Screen

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've searched the forum as best I can, but I don't suppose that the K1000 focus screen is a direct swap to the K100D focus screen, is it? My question is due to this item on ebay... Focus Screen

01-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #2

Nope - for one thing, the dimensions are not the same - the K1000 is 'full frame', while the K100D (etc.) are 'APS-C' size. The eBay vendor is talking about what he starts with before cutting to size. There is something to the mention of the thickness of the screen, as this is critical to the positioning of the screen, which in turn is critical to the accuracy of focus. Many of the non-Pentax screens require thin metal shims as part of the installation; don't know about this vendor. So far as I know, only Katz Eye screens do not require shimming, as they are made from purpose-made blanks, not cut-downs of an existing screen... which is in part why they cost more than the 'made in China' versions. Sure would be nice if Pentax would come out with a split-image screen - but it would no doubt cost as much or more than the Katz Eye!

Curt
01-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I put the K1000 to my eye yesterday for the first time in ages. I've forgotten just how big the viewfinder area is! It was wonderful! Thanks for the info, as had I gotten a different answer, I might have been tempted to play surgeon on my K1000.