Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k-7: dark horizontal lines live view? bad sensor?

So after recording video for a long time on a hot night I noticed that the video I was recording had a dark line at the bottom of the frame. Live view has the same issue. Granted it was night and it was probably max iso and I was getting the temperature warning, but I've never noticed this until now. When the sensor is hot shooting at 3200 is quite noise with lots of horizontal banding, but it seems well controlled @ 1600 and disappears @ 800. Should. I really worry? Does anyone elses live view have darker areas @ high iso in low light? I've heard that banding and noise issues were common in k-7's sensor in low light anyways. I'm just kind of worried my sensor is dying now or something. I couldn't tell you how many clicks I've rang up...30k or so? I'll have to look for this in better light. Just a little worried now.....

05-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My line of thinking is that I never use the camera for video anyways, why worry? Something tells me what I'm experiencing isn't normal though. It really underscores my need for a backup body. A used k-7 can be had for under 500 these days. I think ill wait till it gets closer to 350-400 and find one with low clicks. Eventually id like to move up to a k-5, but I would rather have two k-7s than one. That needs a new sensor eventually. The $350 repair @ pentax is really a tough sell right now with used bodies so cheap. Looks like I'll have to just keep shooting till the camera quits on me lol.
05-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok....if I use live view in better light it disappears. It only really shows up when live view is at full gain. Something tells me a line on that chip has faulty nr circuitry that raises its ugly head when the iso is cranked. I never shoot above 1600 anyways, and I don't see noise issues in my raws as far as banding goes outside of what I would expect from a somewhat noisy sensor. Anyone else experience this? Should I really worry?