Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slight dmg to my k7, hiw much would this ding its resale?

My k7 took a whack from my daughter's old canon g2 whilst both were around my neck. The glass screen to the top lcd cracked. No damage to the lcd itself and the camera itself performs fine. My question to pentaxians is, how much will this ding my resale value? I'm considering an upgrade to the k5 and need all the cash I can scrounge. But if it's a huge markdown I'll just bite the bullet and keep the darn thing.

here's a pic

05-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blotzphoto Quote
My k7 took a whack from my daughter's old canon g2 whilst both were around my neck. The glass screen to the top lcd cracked. No damage to the lcd itself and the camera itself performs fine. My question to pentaxians is, how much will this ding my resale value? I'm considering an upgrade to the k5 and need all the cash I can scrounge. But if it's a huge markdown I'll just bite the bullet and keep the darn thing.
How much is a huge markdown? You can have it repaired and then sell it at full market price. That's what I did what I cracked the viewfinder of my K7 just as I was getting ready to sell it. Cost me a $110 I think, so I just had to eat that but I probably would have lost that much at least of the resale value. So then I was able to sell it at a good price and even boasted that it had just been fully repaired and inspected and returned to factory specs condition. (They calibrate all the main functions anytime they do any repair at CRIS.) The top LCD repair probably isn't any more than what I paid if it just the screen -- you may even be able to replace it yourself if you buy the part. If the display itself is damaged, it could cost more.

When you get your K-5, invest a few bucks in ACMAXX screens -- it would have prevented that damage. They're practically bullet-proof.
05-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I wouldn't consider that to be "slight"- personally I wouldn't offer more than 2 or 3 hundred for a camera like this.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I wouldn't consider that to be "slight"- personally I wouldn't offer more than 2 or 3 hundred for a camera like this.
Exactly. I'd try to get a deal, then send it off for repair myself -- maybe even sell it again at a profit. Better off to repair it yourself or just keep it and repair it when you can afford it, but knowing that its value is dropping all the time...

05-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A crack like that pretty much kills a K7 resale value, which these days is around $500 (body) in GREAT condition. The weather sealing may or may not still work with a crack like that.
05-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a few hard and fast rules that I try and never break.

1) Put the camera away when not actually taking pictures.
2) Unless you are on the AP/Reuters/National Geographic payroll, don't put multiple cameras around your neck and walk around - no matter how "cool" you think it looks or walk around with a camera around your neck
3) Never trust any water resistant/proof claims
4) Never trust any rugged/shock claims
5) Stick with the basics when it comes to camera straps. The more sophisticated a strap is, the more likely it will fail.
6) The hot shoe is designed for a flash, not an LCD television
7) The 1/4-20 socket on the bottom is designed around supporting a camera with a minimal weight on it.
8) A child will break your camera in under 20 minutes.
05-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
It was a freak vacation accident. Packing up on the last day, taking family shots, loading the car. Happened as I was sitting down.

05-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll look into that!
05-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Easy to replace, make a " handle " from ducktape and stick it to the window. Heat a little with a hair dryer and pull off.
Parts available here for around $10.00
Genuine Pentax Replacement Parts from USCamera
05-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Hi

Easy to replace, make a " handle " from ducktape and stick it to the window. Heat a little with a hair dryer and pull off.
Parts available here for around $10.00
Genuine Pentax Replacement Parts from USCamera
Can't beat that if it works...
05-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blotzphoto Quote
It was a freak vacation accident. Packing up on the last day, taking family shots, loading the car. Happened as I was sitting down.
Ugh. That's even worse.
05-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Need to change your username to 'klutzphoto' ;P