Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #1

A little lube helps turn me on

Heya! I'm having a great time with my Pentax K-x but as time goes on i've noticed that the power switch is getting harder to flip. I haven't had any problems with obvious dirt getting into it (white body so it would be obvious if i had), and it's not like i've been handling the camera with muddy hands, but the switch is not as easy to flip as it used to be. It's a minor thing but i was wondering if there's any decent kind of lube for a plastic part like that? Would a touch of silicon lube be good for plastic? Can you suggest any other juvenile jokes i missed in the title?

Thanks!

05-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Any kind of lube sounds like a terrifically bad idea. Try compressed air to get at hidden grit. Contact cleaner might be safe as it is designed for electrical contacts and plastic. Then again, it might not be.
05-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd second contact cleaner, sorted my kx right out after it had redbull spilt on it. Some have oil in them, so make sure you get the 'dry' or 'no residue' type.
05-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes the hot sticky stuff come from a little spill of coke or soft drink that you may not even know... a damp cloth using clean water to clean the k-x body around the ON/OFF switch should help.

05-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
Great, thanks from keeping me from making the mistake. I hadn't even thought of something like Cokes on a fingertip getting in there, but that's probably close to what's happened. I'll just keep trying to clean it (moist cloth getting a touch of moisture into the friction area) and hope I can work out whatever residue is in there, then a little contact cleaner later. I wish I could open the switch to clean it out, but I don't have anything near the industrial clean-room environment i would need.

On the another note, i'm glad i finally found a question to share that hadn't already been answered somewhere on the forums. Virtually every other question i've had is covered somewhere around here. It's just made me feel unusually predictable. ;-)

Cheers!
<k>
05-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a wooden tooth pick and see how small a drop or WD-40 (or your choice of cleaner) you can put on a piece of paper.

Then apply the smallest drop to the switch.

Mind you, it's the technique I'm advocating here, not the cleaner/lubricant of your choice.

H2
05-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Take a wooden tooth pick and see how small a drop or WD-40 (or your choice of cleaner) you can put on a piece of paper.

Then apply the smallest drop to the switch.

Mind you, it's the technique I'm advocating here, not the cleaner/lubricant of your choice.

H2
Great idea (but don't use WD-40, it turns into a gummy substance)
05-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spazticus Quote
I wish I could open the switch to clean it out, but I don't have anything near the industrial clean-room environment i would need.

Cheers!
<k>
It isn't THAT big of a project.

See my albums - K200D repair.