Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Book advice Please :P

I have the Pentax K10D along with a few extra lense....

I bought the lantern book, to help me get the most of how to use the camera, disapointed about it being a little different than my manual.

I need some advice. I'm looking for a book that will help me learn about how to use my digital camera,

I was thinking about digital slr photography for dummies, but are there other books that will give me the best direction on how to use all the features of this camera.

ABC

01-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not if you want a book that walks you directly through the K10D and its' manual specifically. As far as the camera is concerned, I suggest reading the manual while looking up anything you don't understand in the Magic Lantern book (or just use the book alone at first, reading through the manual later). If you don't understand the basics of photography or digital photography, I'd suggest adding a third, more general photography book, to that process. My wife, who is going through the same learning process, liked "The BetterPhoto Guide to Digital Photography" for help with the more general photo concepts (according to her, quick and simple).

stewart
01-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Stewarts suggestion is good and I'd also suggest for a good general photography book. Byran Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" 2004 A very good book that explains the fundamentals of photography and many more topics than the title would suggest.

Most of us that have been shooting for awhile will have a small library of books on the subject. Before spending any money, have a look at the following link. There are a lot of great tips and ideas here: PopPhoto's HowTo Arhive: The Best Photography Tips, Tricks and Tools Anywhere in the World - PopPhoto

and here:

Top 25 Tips of 2007 - - PopPhotoJanuary 2008

Two other great sites are:
The Radiant Vista

and

The Luminous Landscape Tutorials contents
01-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ABCWinter Quote
I have the Pentax K10D along with a few extra lense....

I bought the lantern book, to help me get the most of how to use the camera, disapointed about it being a little different than my manual.

I need some advice. I'm looking for a book that will help me learn about how to use my digital camera,

I was thinking about digital slr photography for dummies, but are there other books that will give me the best direction on how to use all the features of this camera.

ABC
May I suggest this book:

Amazon.com: Quick Snap Guide to Digital SLR Photography: An Instant Start-Up Manual for New dSLR Owners: Books: David D. Busch

It is a pretty good book that walks you through the basics and gives an explanation of some of the terms used in photography.

01-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
May i suggest :
Rick Sammons complectly guide digital photography2.0
Michael Freeman as well
I just finished reading Scott Kealthy The Digital Photography Book 2.0
Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (Paperback)very good book