Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Getting a grip

Having worked with cameras that have customized grips, I am wondering why Pentax is not keeping up with this tradition. Special accessories were availbale for LX and 67. Today the grip is part of the camera - it houses the battery, etc. but considering how important it is - ever since the Canon T90, a real grip has become part of camera design - a little more customization would be wonderful. Pentax cameras feel small for many hands, the battery pack makes the gripping area feel longer, but not much better. Wood actually has less weight than plastic or metal and feels so much better. It won't happen, but it would be so great.

05-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, I can not get your point.
I have the Q and it feels just perfect in your hand, have KX - very enjoyable, have K7 - perfect ergonomically , have K5 + D-BG4 usable, a bit heavy, can store spare SD card but the most important, can forget about silly Li-ION and can just use 6x Sanyo Eneloops ( or Energizer Ultimate Lithium while traveling - they just go forever!).
How wood could interact with Pentax grip design?
05-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
How wood could interact with Pentax grip design?
I think the OP is referring to having custom grips made for the camera. Not necessarily that Pentax would do so, but if they made provision for the grip "pad" to be removable then custom built "pads" could be added. Here is a link to someone who makes these out of plastic / rubber. I think that is totally ugly but at least it illustrates the point.

Made out of wood, walnut or cherry perhaps, this might be a little more aesthetically pleasing. Having the grip custom fit for your hand really helps holding things well. I have the k-5 and have no complaints on the grip, for my hands, but if I had big hands it might not fit as well.

Custom grips are quite popular on firearms and knives here in the states. I have also made custom grips for screwdrivers, to allow more torque and just because I could. These are easy to do on the lathe.
05-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

right, I see, thank you jatrax for the info.
I have Pentax Program A ( somewhere in a cupboard , I haven't used it for years) and it has detachable grip, it was very useful.
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/SHandimages1/55117.JPG
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2735/4181338942_b8d0a36978.jpg
in old days it was much harder to manufacture ergonomically shaped camera bodies hence those add on grips were used, today camera's bodies are shaped to fit into your hand perfectly.

Last edited by i_trax; 05-28-2012 at 07:44 PM.
05-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
today camera's bodies are shaped to fit into your hand perfectly.
Agree, but a k-5 with walnut grip would be really cool.....