Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is my Camera...

...there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Anyone ever get the sense they are cleaning their cameras as if they were weapon systems? Just last night I decided it was time to clean my entire kit (consisting of what you see in my signature, kept within a Canon 200EG backpack) as a LOT of sand/dust had found its way inside.

I also feel like the military (coupled with my upbringing) has really taught me a sense of "take care of your equipment." I mean I definitely use it and go in the mud, downpours, and rotor wash from incoming and outgoing helicopters at close range (and you think you know dust? ), but I feel like I have been taught how to correctly care for your valuables (which, your weapon most certainly is in a certain context).

I remember feeling like I was talking my weapon apart - upper receiver from lower receiver, bolt assembly and charging handle, then the miniscule components that you fear dropping from within the bolt itself. Especially since I cleaned my two bodies and 6 lenses for about an hour and was extremely meticulous about it - to include taking apart my lens caps to get the dust from within!

Anyone else ever get that feeling?

-Heie

05-28-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

I do sometimes! I take the same care cleaning my camera equipment as I do cleaning my firearms. Speaking of which, I want to spend a day at the range with my camera and a couple of my rifles.
05-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep. And I'm not a vet. I've always felt my equipment was to be used, but not abused.

(Side story: son served with NG in Iraq - tried to join the regular Army ... was told yes if service & medical review was okay ... strung him along for 3 months when he could have found other employment before finally getting the Army's review & okay, but meanwhile they gave away his slot ... would still re-enlist, but is pretty ticked at Army politics right now - it isn't just the civilian world that doesn't do justice by our veterans)
05-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I take extreme care of my gear. I too, being ex-military understand about taking care of my gear. I am always a fan of equipment that I consider "Military Grade".

If you are ever in the market for a Photography Gimbal, and you want something "Military", check these guys out.

Katana Gimbal Head Review

05-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I take extreme care of my gear. I too, being ex-military understand about taking care of my gear.
It's a good habit I also acquired, but I don't let it stop me from throwing stuff around when I need to get a shot. That's why I went with Pentax higher-end DSLRs - it feels like it can take the abuse as long as I (eventually) clean it. Even the unprotected front elements of the lenses are hard to scratch (I never use UV filters)!

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I am always a fan of equipment that I consider "Military Grade".
Same here, however I get miffed when I see stuff marketed as "Mil-Spec" when it's really just machined with added corners and twisty bits (flashlights are notorious for this) to look "manly." However, along the same lines as your gimbal example, the early Kata bags (GDC collection, which I think are discontinued) are seriously "military grade"- Kata started as a IDF special forces ("sayeret") contractor. Problem for Kata sales is that even after 10 years, I won't need a new bag any time soon!
05-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Used it without much care, though but clean it when needed but that's not very often.
05-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #7

i take care of my camera and lenses in terms of cleaning (brush, microfiber and blower) but i would not know about firearms, I'm under the "fu.ck guns" policy . Hell, i even avoided military service!