Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: melbourne
Posts: 146
issue with firmware updating k10d

morning ladys and gentlemen. i have an issue regarding firmware, as sd card with fw 1.3 is placed in camera and "menu" held down as camera is powered up ,all i get is the statement that im using 1.00{as if checking the firmware} any ideas as to why latter firmware wont install? cheers
mark

01-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
First, make sure the downloaded file has been uncompressed with only the resulting "FWDC162B.BIN" file placed directly in the root directory of the SD card (the very first window that opens when you double-click on the card in your operating system). Next, after inserting the card in your camera, turn your camera on while holding down the MENU button. Do not let go of the MENU button until you see the "NOW LOADING" message. Those (not uncompressing the file, not locating the .BIN file in the root directory, and not holding down the menu button long enough) are the three most common mistakes. If none of these apply, perhaps others will provide different suggestions.

stewart
01-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
mfc
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: melbourne
Posts: 146
Original Poster
unfortunatly none of youre sujestions apply :{
id ring the aust distributor but its sunday
thanks for youre time
01-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
mfc
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: melbourne
Posts: 146
Original Poster
ok ive got it
aparently it would'nt update till switced to porgram mode{somthing ive never used lol}

01-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 44
QuoteOriginally posted by mfc Quote
morning ladys and gentlemen. i have an issue regarding firmware, as sd card with fw 1.3 is placed in camera and "menu" held down as camera is powered up ,all i get is the statement that im using 1.00{as if checking the firmware} any ideas as to why latter firmware wont install? cheers
mark

On a similar topic, I carried out this operation today and it worked fine except that after the "Completed" messge came up on the LCD screen the card light started flashing and showed no sign of stopping. I turned the camera off, took the card out as per directions and held the menu button down as I started it again. I came up with version three and all functions appear to be working but I am concerned about the flashing orange card light. Any comment would be welcome.

Regards
Brian
01-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
QuoteOriginally posted by mfc Quote
ok ive got it
aparently it would'nt update till switced to porgram mode{somthing ive never used lol}

Sorry my suggestions weren't more helpful. Hard to guess the solution without seeing the actual problem. Anyway, I'm very surprised switching to the program mode resolved the issue. I've never notice which mode was selected when updating my camera. But, since I seldom use the program mode for anything other than the occasional paparazzi or news shot, it's a safe bet that mode was not selected during every update. Regardless, you have your update, so you're good to go. By the way, in case nobody else has, let me at least welcome you to the forum. Take care.

stewart
01-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
QuoteOriginally posted by clevo Quote
(snip) the card light started flashing and showed no sign of stopping. I turned the camera off, took the card out as per directions and held the menu button down as I started it again. I came up with version three and all functions appear to be working but I am concerned about the flashing orange card light. Any comment would be welcome.

That's exactly how Pentax intended the light to react, Brian. It's a hint/reminder to remove the card after turning off the camera, followed by removing the update file from that card (best done by deleting the file using your computer before putting the card back into the camera). However, since that is not very intuitive (light normally means to wait because the card is busy), I do wish Pentax would specifically mention the light in the update instructions.

stewart



-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 01-19-2008 at 10:14 PM.
01-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 44
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
That's exactly how Pentax intended the light to react, Brian. It's a hint/reminder to remove the card after turning off the camera, followed by removing the update file from that card (best done by deleting the file using your computer before putting the card back into the camera). However, since that is not very intuitive (light normally means to wait because the card is busy), I do wish Pentax would specifically mention the light in the update instructions.

stewart



-
Thanks for that information Stewart, I didn't see any reference to the light in the documentation, makes sense now.

Regards
Brian

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, firmware, issue, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updating Firmware on K-7. ronin67 Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 12-24-2009 10:19 PM
Need help updating firmware in K10D, please Petdoc2b Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 04-26-2009 10:12 PM
Firmware Updating to 1.30 Jesus Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 05-24-2008 07:01 PM
updating firmware MikeD Photographic Technique 4 03-23-2008 05:24 PM
updating firmware CeeBee Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 12-09-2007 04:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top