Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #1

issue with firmware updating k10d

morning ladys and gentlemen. i have an issue regarding firmware, as sd card with fw 1.3 is placed in camera and "menu" held down as camera is powered up ,all i get is the statement that im using 1.00{as if checking the firmware} any ideas as to why latter firmware wont install? cheers
mark

01-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

First, make sure the downloaded file has been uncompressed with only the resulting "FWDC162B.BIN" file placed directly in the root directory of the SD card (the very first window that opens when you double-click on the card in your operating system). Next, after inserting the card in your camera, turn your camera on while holding down the MENU button. Do not let go of the MENU button until you see the "NOW LOADING" message. Those (not uncompressing the file, not locating the .BIN file in the root directory, and not holding down the menu button long enough) are the three most common mistakes. If none of these apply, perhaps others will provide different suggestions.

stewart
01-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
mfc

Original Poster
unfortunatly none of youre sujestions apply :{
id ring the aust distributor but its sunday
thanks for youre time
01-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
mfc

Original Poster
ok ive got it
aparently it would'nt update till switced to porgram mode{somthing ive never used lol}

01-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by mfc Quote
morning ladys and gentlemen. i have an issue regarding firmware, as sd card with fw 1.3 is placed in camera and "menu" held down as camera is powered up ,all i get is the statement that im using 1.00{as if checking the firmware} any ideas as to why latter firmware wont install? cheers
mark

On a similar topic, I carried out this operation today and it worked fine except that after the "Completed" messge came up on the LCD screen the card light started flashing and showed no sign of stopping. I turned the camera off, took the card out as per directions and held the menu button down as I started it again. I came up with version three and all functions appear to be working but I am concerned about the flashing orange card light. Any comment would be welcome.

Regards
Brian
01-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mfc Quote
ok ive got it
aparently it would'nt update till switced to porgram mode{somthing ive never used lol}

Sorry my suggestions weren't more helpful. Hard to guess the solution without seeing the actual problem. Anyway, I'm very surprised switching to the program mode resolved the issue. I've never notice which mode was selected when updating my camera. But, since I seldom use the program mode for anything other than the occasional paparazzi or news shot, it's a safe bet that mode was not selected during every update. Regardless, you have your update, so you're good to go. By the way, in case nobody else has, let me at least welcome you to the forum. Take care.

stewart
01-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clevo Quote
(snip) the card light started flashing and showed no sign of stopping. I turned the camera off, took the card out as per directions and held the menu button down as I started it again. I came up with version three and all functions appear to be working but I am concerned about the flashing orange card light. Any comment would be welcome.

That's exactly how Pentax intended the light to react, Brian. It's a hint/reminder to remove the card after turning off the camera, followed by removing the update file from that card (best done by deleting the file using your computer before putting the card back into the camera). However, since that is not very intuitive (light normally means to wait because the card is busy), I do wish Pentax would specifically mention the light in the update instructions.

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 01-19-2008 at 10:14 PM.
01-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
That's exactly how Pentax intended the light to react, Brian. It's a hint/reminder to remove the card after turning off the camera, followed by removing the update file from that card (best done by deleting the file using your computer before putting the card back into the camera). However, since that is not very intuitive (light normally means to wait because the card is busy), I do wish Pentax would specifically mention the light in the update instructions.

stewart

-
Thanks for that information Stewart, I didn't see any reference to the light in the documentation, makes sense now.

Regards
Brian