Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust Alert

I just discovered a self sensor test ( very accurate ) now build into KX,K7,K5 ( not Q ) , it is in MENU ( Setup Option 4) called " Dust Alert" , takes virtual picture of your sensor with all stains very visible ( highlighted ) , it is only enabled with later lenses attached to the camera .
the file on your SD card is called : DUST.JPG
you can download it onto your Mac/PC and view it on the big screen.
So... was it always there and I just did not see it?
No one never ever mentioned it on any Pentax forums, out of focus blue sky F22 was always recommended.
Did it possibly sneak in with past firmare upgrade?
It is VERY convenient!

05-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Reading the manual that comes with the camera is always very helpful. Going through the menu options when you first power up the camera - another very helpful thing. For me the Dust Alert feature was there from the start. I took a note of it when I was browsing through the menus and checked in the manual immediately how does it work.

Quick search for "dust alert" on this forum shows several threads on it. Also almost every single thread discussing dust does mention this feature.
05-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my K-x it is not reliable, the blue sky f22 method still works the best.
05-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
In my K-x it is not reliable, the blue sky f22 method still works the best.
Ditto here. The "dust alert" function on my K-x is pretty much useless. I suspect it would take a dust bunny the size of a tribble to work.

As good as the old f:22 sky trick works, taking a shot of a blank white computer screen (like a blank notepad / wordpad document) works even better. Since the goal is just to get even light onto the sensor & focus is unimportant, I set the aperture to f:22, throw the lens focus out to infinity, & put the lens an inch or so from the screen & fire away in Av mode.

There are a few reasons I prefer using the computer screen:

1) I won't mistake a bird flying in the distance for a speck
2) It's more convenient than running outside 2 or 3 or 12 times between cleanings to see if I got everything off the sensor
3) I can do it when it's raining.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

05-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you guys,
I did and do read manuals, obviously missed that, or it is my old age has something to do with it?
well it only can get worse,
it did do good job with my K7, did highlight some spots which I had problem with detecting the precise location via using F22 blue sky method.
in worse case can utilise both simultaneously
kind regards
jack