06-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I dont have these problem with the LIon of Pentax. The keep charge pretty good
For how long ?

06-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the K-30 but, the only possible improvement over K-5 is they may have ramped up the auto-focus a little. You're not going to be able to evaluate how important that is until you have it in your hands. The AF lock button was impressive.. if they can get it to work in conjunction with the shutter release button, which was apparently the last bug they had to kill, it could put you in a Canon switchers type situation. Do you need the fast focus more than you need the IQ? The new focus system will be incorporated and possibly tweaked a bit in the K-5 replacement. In that sense this is a development camera. What they learn on tis camera will improve the flag ship model.
06-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
For how long ?
I got my K-5 in 2010. Battery are still keeping charge
06-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I got my K-5 in 2010. Battery are still keeping charge
I mean how long do they keep charge ? If you leave them on the shelf for 3-4 weeks, do they still keep charge ?

06-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Perhaps not completely, but 90%. If leave mine that long, I recharge the new one before replacing the old one. It usually charges for about 10 minutes. ( A full recharge takes over an hour.) I take them on two week trips all the time my 4 year old k20D batteries are still keeping their charge. But, it's really rare for me to leave a battery for 4 weeks. That would be a lot of rain and really nasty weather for that to happen. Right now, I'm debating the third battery, or the battery grip that allows the use of AAs. I think the 3rd battery is going to win out. Cheaper, and maintains the size of the camera, which fits really snuggly in the various carrying cases I have for it.

This is a guess, because I've never really paid attention, so I'm guessing maybe 600-700 actuations per battery. ALthough if I'm doing a lot of viewing , deleting etc. maybe 400. Last year I started running out of space on my memory card and had to do a lot of evaluating and discarding, to create space. That really cut into my batteries and I came very close to running out of battery. 2 batteries only got me 800 images. Now I have a 30 Gb card I got on sale for a great price. If you go for two week trips with no chance to recharge, these things matter.
06-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #36

K30 body 71,198 Yen
K5 body 66,591 Yen
In Japan. Multiply by .0125 for approx US amount. K3 cannot be far off because surely the K5 at this price would be hurting K30 sales.
06-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Perhaps not completely, but 90%. If leave mine that long, I recharge the new one before replacing the old one. It usually charges for about 10 minutes. ( A full recharge takes over an hour.) I take them on two week trips all the time my 4 year old k20D batteries are still keeping their charge. But, it's really rare for me to leave a battery for 4 weeks. That would be a lot of rain and really nasty weather for that to happen. Right now, I'm debating the third battery, or the battery grip that allows the use of AAs. I think the 3rd battery is going to win out. Cheaper, and maintains the size of the camera, which fits really snuggly in the various carrying cases I have for it.
If you have never used Sanyo eneloop AAs, I would strongly suggest you go for the grip and a set of eneloops. You will not regret it. These batteries have a good capacity, and keep charge for a long time, easily 6 months. Sanyo claims 75% capacity retention at 12 months for the new eneloop XX 2500 maH.

QuoteQuote:
This is a guess, because I've never really paid attention, so I'm guessing maybe 600-700 actuations per battery. ALthough if I'm doing a lot of viewing , deleting etc. maybe 400. Last year I started running out of space on my memory card and had to do a lot of evaluating and discarding, to create space. That really cut into my batteries and I came very close to running out of battery. 2 batteries only got me 800 images. Now I have a 30 Gb card I got on sale for a great price. If you go for two week trips with no chance to recharge, these things matter.
If you go on such trips, you should definitely have the grip. Regular AAs (alkalines) are widely available, if you don't have rechargeables, or exhaust them. It simply adds a lot more flexibility. Of course, a grip costs more and enlarges the camera.

There are some periods of time I don't use my camera at all, and they don't have to do with weather. Especially now that I have multiple cameras. I use one more than the other. I only have one lens for the Canon, so I don't use it as much for one thing. All the Lion batteries I have ever use seem to lose charge quickly. I am glad to have a grip for my T3i that allows the use of my eneloop AAs that always have enough charge for any camera. If I didn't have the grip, I wouldn't have been able to use the T3i at all despite having 3 Lion batteries.
06-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Sanyo claims 75% capacity retention at 12 months for the new eneloop XX 2500 maH.
Agreed. I found a lost Sanyo XX set I misplaced 8 months ago in a drawer in my room and tried them on my K-x just a few days ago. Battery status still green, hoho. From what I found though, they have lesser charging life-cycles (500 vs 1500) compared to the white 1900mAH ones.

06-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Lion batteries really need to go the way of the dodo.

Latest experience with Lion : I have a Canon T3i with 3 Lion batteries, one original Canon and two after-market. They were all fully charged a month ago. The Canon camera was used sparingly during the last month. As of monday, all 3 Lion batteries were fully discharged, the camera would not power up with any of them. This keeps happening over and over. Yes, I hate Lion batteries.

Eneloops all the way.
That isn't my experience. I'll leave my batteries in for 2-3 weeks at a time if i'm not shooting much. I can easily get 400 to 500 shots out of a battery on a single night and stilll have more left over. But after one of those shoots, i switch it out with an Adorama generic battery. K20 and K5 have been the same - reliable power for extended periods. Must be something wrong with your charger, battery or camera. I have the camera off setting at 5 minutes.

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Morning,
Do you use a tripod? The reason for the question is based on the differences between the k30 and k5. If you use a tripod, then live view will be very useful, and potentially focus peaking (on the K30 but not on the K5). Also do you use a wired remote shutter release (on the K5 but only the IR on the K30). So, if you want everything, then you probably need to wait for the K5 replacement - in order to get live view, with focus peaking and with a wired remote shutter
K01 didn't have a wired remote shutter BUT the k30 does have a shutter plug=in port for the remote shutter. Really glad about that!!!
06-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I mean how long do they keep charge ? If you leave them on the shelf for 3-4 weeks, do they still keep charge ?
Yes they keep their charge
06-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
That isn't my experience. I'll leave my batteries in for 2-3 weeks at a time if i'm not shooting much. I can easily get 400 to 500 shots out of a battery on a single night and stilll have more left over. But after one of those shoots, i switch it out with an Adorama generic battery. K20 and K5 have been the same - reliable power for extended periods. Must be something wrong with your charger, battery or camera. I have the camera off setting at 5 minutes.
Well, I have had the same experience with many brands of Lion batteries and many different cameras and camcorders over the years. Apparently, letting Lion batteries completely discharge is very bad for them and shortens their life significantly. I don't want to have to watch over every battery and make sure it never discharges. Full discharging is never a problem with the AA eneloops. Oh, and I have been using them for 4 years, I own over 50 eneloops and use them in many devices other than cameras - flashlights, Roomba virtual walls, doorbells, scent sprays, alarm clocks. I have yet to have a single Eneloop go bad and throw one away ! But I have had Lion die within 6 months of purchase that were barely ever used, many 3 recharge cycles max !
06-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Well, I have had the same experience with many brands of Lion batteries and many different cameras and camcorders over the years. Apparently, letting Lion batteries completely discharge is very bad for them and shortens their life significantly. I don't want to have to watch over every battery and make sure it never discharges. Full discharging is never a problem with the AA eneloops. Oh, and I have been using them for 4 years, I own over 50 eneloops and use them in many devices other than cameras - flashlights, Roomba virtual walls, doorbells, scent sprays, alarm clocks. I have yet to have a single Eneloop go bad and throw one away ! But I have had Lion die within 6 months of purchase that were barely ever used, many 3 recharge cycles max !
I just want to add my Original Pentax branded D-Li90 keeps its charge for a very long time HOWEVER one of my third party versions would be dead within two weeks so I always use that one first, also doesn't last aslong as the branded battery although it is rated 5500 mAh (Brand to avoid: PK D-Li90)
If I was getting backups get the Sanyos for AA and Pearstone for Li-Ionhttp://http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645340-REG/Pearstone_D_LI90_D_L...n_Battery.html
I personally wouldn't use AA unless as an emergency measure as I find my Kx dies alot quicker with rechargables than my K7 but I can see the benefit if you are in unknown areas related to power and have AAs already for flash units.
06-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Focus on lenses, your own skills and projects, then the body. Bodies are changing constantly, it's a "keeping up with the Jones's thing.
Both the K5 and K30 are twin dial cameras. I found this a huge step up from the single dial on the K100. ( I went K100D, K20, K5)
The DR of the sensor in the K5 is also very, very useful. Personally I would go for a K5 as I use a grip reasonably often. Bestbet is to actually get your hands on both cameras as soon as you can, just in case the ergonomics don't work for you.
06-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

I am going to go for a K5 very soon. I thought about the K30 and then remembered all the sensor problems with the K5s when they first came out. Now that all (or most all) of the initial bugs are worked out, it appears to be a safe bet.

I'm wondering if the K30 may have any "bugs" when it first comes out??
06-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Reading this thread has me almost convinced to get the K-5 and sell my K-r... Great advice & Opinions..