Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
Forum Member

I think upgrading your lens collection would have a greater impact on your results than changing bodies.
The DA Limiteds are priced a little cheaper than the FA Limiteds, and they produce great results.
The Canon 85mm f/1.8 is a nice lens, but the DA 70 ltd is in a different league.
I wouldn't worry about trying to future-proof yourself by only buying full-frame compatible lenses. Who knows what will happen in the future.
Plus, lenses hold their value, so you could always resell them later.

06-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try the Canon 60d for the weekend and see if you really like it. No harm in trying. Just ask yourself why you bought Pentax in the first place and what the Canon provides to make you switch over. It is easier when a friend has the same system but would you be cooperating or competing with your friend?
06-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You could pick up a used t2i, flash it with the magic lantern firmware, and maintain both systems. For video you use manual so buy takumars that you can use on both systems, and pick up af glass that isn't offered on Pentax like the tokina 11-16/2.8. Someone told me that magic lantern has focus assist like the k-01 and k30, but I can't confirm.
06-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Just found one thing with my T3i : with my 800mm lens + 2x teleconverter, ie. at 1600mm, the moon does not fit in the frame due to the 1.6x crop factor . It does fit in the frame with my K-r since crop factor is only 1.5x. You would have to move up to a Canon FF to solve that one

06-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If its mainly for video, perhaps the D60 is better. But then, you probably be better off supplementing with a video cam or going for the new K30.

Other points :
1. Canon = cheaper lenses for the same thing.
Not true. The cheap f1.8 options on Canon do the job pretty well for the price, but all things are actually commensurate. In other words, the cheaper ones are not sharper nor do they give better OOF rendering and have rather poor build quality. The better ones are priced more expensive than Pentax. Neither are they ever smaller, which is a very often missed advantage of the Pentax system. Certainly something that is never ever brought up in a lens review, nor measurebated, but it does have real world usage implications.

2. Go for the DA35, DA40XS, DA50 and a few manual lenses or 2nd hand DA ltd's and I still think Pentax is affordable and highly price competitive. If one is to say that "Hey! but many DA lenses are slower at f2.4, f2.8, etc", then one is just looking at numbers and not acknowledging that these lenses are only 0.3 stops slower in most cases, more decently built for their prices and are very usable from wide open and often having better distortion/CA control as well as bokeh.

3. K5 is a much better stills camera compared to the D60. Period.
In camera shake reduction basically saves you $100 x number of lenses you have, since that's what you have to pay for each Canon lens with SR (some don't even have it)
DR, the K5 is much better (even compared to a 5DII)

At the end, its up to you. If there is an itch to jump and you can afford it, do it by all means, rather than have the thought linger and eat into you.
The cheap Canon lenses will get the job done if thats all you need and there is no wrong with that too.
06-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why are you so enamored of 85mm? Pick up the FA 100mm Macro and you'll be able to use it on the FF camera once Pentax decides to produce one. Or the FA 77mm, which is supposed to be quite good. Heck, for the money I'd buy an FA 50 1.7 and just have fun with it. These are all great lenses, built like tanks with great optics. I just rented the Sigma 28mm Macro and thought it was really great (I'm gonna save some bones to buy one). There's a Sigma 85mm which is supposed to be really nice, but well out of my budget - not that i think I have much use for it.

Would an 85mm lens really be great for video? Maybe for portraits or video of people at that range, I guess.

Video? I don't use it much. I keep wanting to do some video with the 10-17 fisheye, but keep forgetting to do any.