Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
OK - I'm about to thread-jack..

I don't wear glasses at all bu t I need to slide the diopter all the way to the right to get sharp lines. Is this normal?

And I have suspected that when I use AF, I get nice and sharp images but sometimes when I MF I get not so sharp images.

Maybe my eyes are screwy and I need glasses?

Tom

My perscription for glasses is about -3.5 diopters, vision wise I think that leaves me at 20-70 vision or something like that. (i.e. I can see at 20 feet what most people can see at 70).

If I adjust the view finder all the way to the right, without glasses, I can see a good sharp image.

Now I can sort of see well enough to drive without glasses, but it is difficult when you are always looking over your shoulder to see what the sign you just passed said!

I think you should get your vision checked.

01-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Tom

My perscription for glasses is about -3.5 diopters, vision wise I think that leaves me at 20-70 vision or something like that. (i.e. I can see at 20 feet what most people can see at 70).

If I adjust the view finder all the way to the right, without glasses, I can see a good sharp image.

Now I can sort of see well enough to drive without glasses, but it is difficult when you are always looking over your shoulder to see what the sign you just passed said!

I think you should get your vision checked.
Ya know, you could be right.. I've been driving real bad at night for the last few years. Can't see a damned thing it seems. It's not as bad when I'm on a dark road but when there is lots of traffic my eyesight gets glared.

I haven't had my eyes checked in long time either, many years!
01-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tom M,

There is a small chance it is the camera's viewfinder. Hand the camera to someone under 40 and ask them to adjust the slider so the status display is in focus. If they come up near center, then it's you.

P.S. Be sure to hold onto the strap in case they fumble the handoff...
01-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm glad Tom M is driving and not flying! I'd be really scared then.

01-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
OK - I'm about to thread-jack..

I don't wear glasses at all bu t I need to slide the diopter all the way to the right to get sharp lines. Is this normal?

And I have suspected that when I use AF, I get nice and sharp images but sometimes when I MF I get not so sharp images.

Maybe my eyes are screwy and I need glasses?
I have the exact same issue! If I use the focus confirm function I get sharp pictures, but the image in the viewfinder isn't in focus! I feel like I need 1-2 more clicks to the right after the maximum.

Does Pentax have another diopter that people who don't use glasses, and can't admit to needing them, can use?