Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Incorporation of Film Advance Lever

Hello Everyone,

It's been a long time since I last posted a new thread, but I hope that this is in the right section of the forum.

Although I just bought a pentax k-x last month to replace a lost k10d, I still love the feel of my 35mm Ricoh XR-2s. One of the reasons is the smaller form factor and all the controls being dials at your finger tips. If there would exist an affordable digital version with the same form factor and functionality, I would be a happy man. However, there would remain one component of the cameras of yore that I would surely miss: the film advance lever. Some are simple, some are intricate; some of metal, curved and clean, others of plastic, straight and smooth. But all are strong and tried and true. The lever gives wings to soar in the deep blue; for most importantly, it perpetuates the wondrous cycle, for us, of life; memory after memory, photo after photo.

The film advance lever if my favourite part of the camera mostly because of its sense of finality when it is cranked and the film is readied for the next exposure. The moment when I rotate the lever after having taken a "perfect" picture is a most pleasant one. The slight resistant yet fluid motion provides clarity, and the blocking of the mechanism as a frame is moved over provides a definite end to the intimacy shared with frame until processing. Yet still, the picture will remains deeply etched in the mind. When you close your eyes, you can still conjure the image as you impatiently wait for your next meeting.

It is with this in mind that I wondered how the Film Advance Lever, which might be viewed as bulky and unnecessary for digital photography, might be usefully retained. I think that on a retro looking digital camera, like the ones so popular these days, the software could be programmed to keep the captured picture displayed on the LCD screen in review mode until the Film Advanced Lever is cranked, at which point the camera would once again be readied to shoot.

Granted the uses of the Lever would be very restricted for the added bulk and material, but perhaps some of you would have more ideas, like the possibility of mapping other functions to it?

Please let me know what you think, I would love to hear.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Torakira

06-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Actually, once I added an auto-winder to my Pentax Super Program about 25 years ago, it took me little time to forget about the winder lever. The ONLY time I used it was to deliberately do an in-camera double-exposure (and that was rare, I'll tell you). In fact, I removed the winder on a couple occasions, took a photo, went to take another photo, ...and nothing. I had forgotten to manually wind the film to the next frame and cock the shutter.

I don't miss the winder lever or its companion, the rewind crank, at all. The only mechanical parts I miss from my film SLR are the screw in release cable and the depth of field preview lever next to the lens. I've programmed the green button on my K-r to perform that function at the expense of other green button functionality.
06-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

if you look at the fuji x-pro 1, there's a plastic thumb grip accessory that looks quite a lot like a film advance lever and its controlled much like a traditional film camera: aperture via lens, shutter via dial on top.

aside from as a thumb grip on the x-pro, i fail to see any real use for an advance lever on a modern digital camera aside from the nostalgia factor. Not only does it add extra bulk, the traditional placement of a film advance lever would be in the way of where you often find buttons and a dial or two on most modern cameras, not to mention the top lcd on some dslrs. as much as i'd love a digital camera that handles like a film one, the two mediums are quite different to engineer for. If anything, i'll just stick to what I do now and dedicate days to shooting, developing and scanning film
06-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Torakira --
I, too, like the feel of manually winding a camera.
It doesn't seem to me that a manufacturer would want to add it to a digital camera, but who knows?
And if they did, I doubt it would have that beautiful mechanical feel.

06-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Torakira Quote
Hello Everyone,

It's been a long time since I last posted a new thread, but I hope that this is in the right section of the forum.

Although I just bought a pentax k-x last month to replace a lost k10d, I still love the feel of my 35mm Ricoh XR-2s. One of the reasons is the smaller form factor and all the controls being dials at your finger tips. If there would exist an affordable digital version with the same form factor and functionality, I would be a happy man. However, there would remain one component of the cameras of yore that I would surely miss: the film advance lever. Some are simple, some are intricate; some of metal, curved and clean, others of plastic, straight and smooth. But all are strong and tried and true. The lever gives wings to soar in the deep blue; for most importantly, it perpetuates the wondrous cycle, for us, of life; memory after memory, photo after photo.

The film advance lever if my favourite part of the camera mostly because of its sense of finality when it is cranked and the film is readied for the next exposure. The moment when I rotate the lever after having taken a "perfect" picture is a most pleasant one. The slight resistant yet fluid motion provides clarity, and the blocking of the mechanism as a frame is moved over provides a definite end to the intimacy shared with frame until processing. Yet still, the picture will remains deeply etched in the mind. When you close your eyes, you can still conjure the image as you impatiently wait for your next meeting.

It is with this in mind that I wondered how the Film Advance Lever, which might be viewed as bulky and unnecessary for digital photography, might be usefully retained. I think that on a retro looking digital camera, like the ones so popular these days, the software could be programmed to keep the captured picture displayed on the LCD screen in review mode until the Film Advanced Lever is cranked, at which point the camera would once again be readied to shoot.

Granted the uses of the Lever would be very restricted for the added bulk and material, but perhaps some of you would have more ideas, like the possibility of mapping other functions to it?

Please let me know what you think, I would love to hear.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Torakira
I don't know if I've read a more poetic description of a film advance lever on a camera, it's almost romantic,
06-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

oh yes...
after reading this , went to the cupboard, pul out my old RX-1s and RX-2s ( both with grips) , took few imaginable photos...
oh what a feeling! yes very enjoyable.
well, possibly it could be used to top up battery, with right ratio cogs design we could achieve very similar motion and pleasant resistance , even with similar sound.
kind regards
jack
06-03-2012, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #7

nostalgia is not what it used to be....

Last edited by Timd; 06-03-2012 at 11:40 AM.
06-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
nostalgia is not what it used to be....