Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lifetime expectation of Pentax DSLR-body

Yep, I know, some among us are waiting anxiously for the press presentation of the *new* Pentax, but here is a question on a "old" DSLR, that used to be "new" not too long ago.

It concerns my *Ist Ds. I bought the camera some time ago, and it started misinterpreting my turning of the control dial. So my easy way of setting aperture or time was gone. No more fun in checking the pics directly after shooting; zooming in on the example shot was nearly impossible.

I declared my *Ist Ds "crippled' and purchased a K10d. Still have the patient, however, and it made me think: is the expected life cycle of an Ist Ds at its end after about 6.000 exposures?

It should not be a secret that Pentax (like all the other firms will do) must have a life time expectation for their products. This will always be a compromise between durability and cost.

Or is there a chance that some Pentax Emergency Room will be able to fix the problem at a reasonable cost? Maybe they should take it as a guarantee thing, what do you folks think? I would love to have the Ist as a backup camera with the K10d in the lead.

01-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd get a quote from Pentax, and then weigh that against what I'm willing to pay for a back-up body. The fix may be as simply as cleaning the contacts of the e-dial. Very likely, this could be done by your local camera repair guy. If the estimated cost is too much, you run the risk of "throwing good money after bad," or paying too much to fix an old camera compared to its worth. But only you can decide what that worth is, to you personally.
01-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there are a couple of issues here.

how do you measure life? Years or frames

from the point of view of the body and structure, plastic covering etc, I expect this to have a life measured in years (20+) because I see very little different than my PZ1 and that is already 17 years old and works just fine thank you.

There is another limit, however, in terms of shutter life, I don't know about my *istD, which has done about 8000 frames in 4 years, but I have noted that I am taking more photos now, and my K10D already has more than 6000 frames shot in a year. (this is in addition to 1000 on my *istD which still gets use (today in fact)

the K10D shutter is rated at 100,000 cycles I believe. therefore it will not last as long as the body at this rate.

It's hard to compare life of new cameras to film because people took a lot less photos.

I took about 15000 frames between 1981 when I started and my last frame with my PZ1 (a few weeks ago) That was spread across 3 bodies all which still work. As you can see, I am rapidly approaching that level with my 2 dslrs after only 4 years, and there are a lot who shoot more than me.

From the point of controls, I am surprised you have had a failure, becasue that is one part since my PZ1 that has impressed me. The electronics and controls have never failed.
01-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #4

I have the DS, and have shot well over 6000 photos, some weekends with motorsport I would take over 1000 shots.
I might add I'm all for ongoing service program, and the DS has had a service about every 9 months since new.
I now have the K10D (well Pentax has it the moment, fixing an issue) and the last race meeting in Nov, I took 800 photos on one day.
You must remember, that I have DLSR, and I can take more photos (than before with film, similar type of day I would take 4 rolls of 36) and delete some on the day, and then delete others prior to submitting to publishers.

01-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It should last well past 6000 exposures. I have ~16000 on my K100D (since 12/06) and it shows no signs of age apart from some dust in the rear LCD. I expect it will keep on going as long as I need it to. I'm in no hurry to replace it. I'd get it checked out, but keep in mind you can pick up a used DS for less than $300 used these days.
01-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My istDS has over 20000 shots on it, and there was a guy on dpreview with over 60000 actuations on DS. He cracked his LCD and was asking question about Pentax USA service time and quality.
If I remember correctly life expectancy of istDS was 60000 shutter actuations. istD 100000 shutter actuations. I might be wrong in details , but this is ballpark.
02-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Syb
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I posted this thread; and have an answer to my own question now:

Would you expect a car to keep on rolling without maintenance?

Little bit of contact cleaner spray and the body is up and running again! I have no clue as to how long the body will live. Fortunately.
02-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There are examples of D/DS/DLs with more than 100,000 shutter actuations.

02-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Syb
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
There are examples of D/DS/DLs with more than 100,000 shutter actuations.
Like, for instance, yours?

Syb
02-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

if canon claims 50 000 shutters on their units, i dont see how pentax could lag behind

i'm at around 7000 shutters in 6 months.. heh...... i hope it doesnt break LOL
02-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Go nuts
02-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #12

Interesting link. I cast entries for my dynamic duo:

istDS : 35,000 still going (after 2 years usage)
K10D: 16,500 still going (after 6 months usage)

touch wood : hopefully heaps of usage from both yet to come!
02-12-2008, 02:53 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Yep, I know, some among us are waiting anxiously for the press presentation of the *new* Pentax, but here is a question on a "old" DSLR, that used to be "new" not too long ago.

It concerns my *Ist Ds. I bought the camera some time ago, and it started misinterpreting my turning of the control dial. So my easy way of setting aperture or time was gone. No more fun in checking the pics directly after shooting; zooming in on the example shot was nearly impossible.

I declared my *Ist Ds "crippled' and purchased a K10d. Still have the patient, however, and it made me think: is the expected life cycle of an Ist Ds at its end after about 6.000 exposures?

It should not be a secret that Pentax (like all the other firms will do) must have a life time expectation for their products. This will always be a compromise between durability and cost.

Or is there a chance that some Pentax Emergency Room will be able to fix the problem at a reasonable cost? Maybe they should take it as a guarantee thing, what do you folks think? I would love to have the Ist as a backup camera with the K10d in the lead.
My *istDS took just under 20,000 and then I struck a problem with it - it appeared that the depth of field indicator was continually on - the camera wanted a shutter speed of about 1/2 second on a bright and sunny day which ended up totally overexposed. I sent it back (I had had it for about 14 months wouldn't you know it ) and it was fixed but I had to pay - worked them down to $70 from $240. I haven't had any problems with it since and it's up to about 30,000 shots now. My K10D has taken just under 40,000 and hasn't missed a beat.
Regards,
Bill
02-12-2008, 02:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nope, but I know of some folks whose cameras are way over 100,000 actuations.
02-12-2008, 03:27 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Nope, but I know of some folks whose cameras are way over 100,000 actuations.
Like BrendanPK and his istD with over 100,000 and it is still in action. I think he is almost at that number with one of his K10D's also.
You can't put a number on how many actuations if the camera is taken care of. I know I have over 6000 on my K100D and have only had it for three months. I have over 20,000 on the DL and I know I baby both of my cameras.
Before I retired the K1000 three years ago, (this camera I had since 1969) I know I didn't treat it very well, It looked like it went through a war (It did BTY) This camera had over 500,000 actuations and still worked like it was new.