Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #1

A new Pentax DSLR slotted below the K-30?

I'm sure others have mentioned this before... but as excited as I got when I saw the K-30... the other thing that came to mind was "this can't be their new entry-level DSLR". I don't know if anybody has heard anything... but I would be real surprised if Pentax didn't release something slotted below the K-30 which forgoes the weather-sealing and other features. Maybe the K-01 would fit that bill? I mean, the K-r has sort of fallen into that slot by default now (of course it has been discontinued since this past Winter but is still widely available).

Speaking of the K-01... I tend to wonder if Pentax is going to end its run prematurely and replace it with another mirrorless camera. It doesn't seem like its selling well (despite the fact that its a very good camera) and the reception hasn't been that great. I personally have never used or held one... so I am not in a position to judge whether its as frustrating of a camera to use as some people say it is.

06-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a good question. I'm starting to think that the entry-level camera will just be a mirrorless, and then there will be a mid-range, advanced, and full-frame DSLR. But only time will tell!

In the US, the K-01 is doing well compared to the Q. I'm sure that beginners are falling for the design just as Pentax had expected, while enthusiasts aren't too pleased with the camera as it's not really a big breakthrough or anything.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps the new 'base model' will be a DSLR style evf mirrorless? I can't conceive of a K-01 successor - that camera is a one off IMO.
06-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #4

Hi, sorry if I'am butting in but on the other forum there's a Wesley Wong and if you see his results with the K-01 I think its going to be a huge success but of course its all in marketing, marketing, marketing.
My 2c

06-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax sold the K200D as their entry level model for a while along with the K20D so this is nothing new. There are threads running about why a successor to the K200D was never produced. Do they really need a cheap plastic DSLR? The K30 gives you an all weather camera for just slightly more than the competitions entry level models and hundreds less than anybody elses weather sealed bodies although with the recent K5 price drop, it would be foolish not to take advantage of it. I'm more concerned that the K30 ends up being the K5 replacement. I hope not.
06-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
... I'm more concerned that the K30 ends up being the K5 replacement. I hope not.
Considering it's mostly a lower spec camera I doubt it's the replacement.
06-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Rather, be happy that considering the K30 is serious competition for the already impressive K5 in many ways, then the actual replacement for the K5 is going to be freaking spectacular.

I agree a DSLR below the K30 would be Nikon in level of model oversaturation, most of the people in that market don't have a clue what they are doing anyways and just use it as a big point and shoot so the mirrorless models answer that market better than something bulkier that would fight with the entrenched in every store cheapo Canon Rebels.