Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
I am sober...how do I know...because I don't drink...
Was just going on your thread title and the toy throwing

Pete

06-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The EXIF showing the photos were taken in Manual Mode. I haven't touched a single setting since the shoot and all the the modes except for TAV show the ISO was set for 100. And the TAV setting was set to 400 ISO.
06-03-2012, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FYI, my ist DL did that right before it died. I kept getting all white in the viewfinder towards the very end as well, last few shots, but even when I had it at 200-400 all the time, no auto, which was my norm pretty much, it would take all pics at 3200. Last shoot that was all I got and I know I had the iso on 200 or 400 the whole time I shot at the zoo. I kept checking. I get home all the shots are 3200 and the next time I turn on the camera it's completely dead. It could be your camera is just on it's way out and needs to be replaced. How many clicks did you have on the camera? 4 years is quite a while, particularly if you're doing pro work as well as hobby stuff. Maybe you're just hitting the end of the lifespan of the camera? This is why I eventually want to have 2 bodies actually. That way if one finally fails I've still got a shoot in the can. If you're doing pro work I don't think it's wise to have only one body on a shoot. No camera brand is immune to glitches and two bodies likely you'll still come home with something...
06-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
Banned

Photos: Albums
Well I hate to point out the obvious, but...

When doing photography work for money; it's never the wisest of ideas to rely on just one camera body. I cannot tell you of how many examples I've heard of this over the years. It effects most every camera make and also covers all of the bases in terms of ranges of prices. Yes; I've seen a Hasselblad on quite sturdy sticks knocked to the ground and also knocked out of commission for the day.

Unless the action is back to back with paid photography work (in which case one simply switches between camera bodies); it pays to check ones own work every so often. Simply pull the card and view the results and/or download the entire content. Also noting this issue could have happened with any memory card - which is why true professional cameras also have two memory card clots. It's also almost like gambling and keeing ones photographs only on one single hard drive and never backing it up.

It is an expensive lesson to learn, but it is somewhat recoverable.

Note to anyone doing work for money and/or work that is difficult to retry... Please purchase backup equipment; even in so much as a complete second camera body - even if it's the ost entry level system; yet preferably one that takes the same lens'. Would anyone out there want to try a wedding with just one flash unit??

06-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the difference, I wasn't getting paid...I've never gotten paid for my work so I can't afford to buy a new camera body everything a camera comes out. I do have a backup but I don't pull it out unless it's absolutely necessary.
06-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
Inactive Account

My friend's Nikon did something exactly like this, he always set the ISO manually and used manual mode, but with his slow telehoto it would bump the ISO up to 1600 or 3200. Turned out to be some obscure "feature" that he disabled as soon as it was found. I don't have a K20d, so maybe someone else knows if it has a similar setting. His EXIF even said the camera was set to low ISO, but showed it was using high ISO.
06-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Hey... I sent you a PM with an offer to help you "fix" your camera. I'm convinced with the proper tools we can locate the source of the problem...

... but then I've been known to throw printers off the roof and drag VCRs behind a car.
06-03-2012, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #23
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm afraid I agree with Medium Format in that any important work needs to be checked before moving on to the next scene/assignment, paid or unpaid. Previewing one shot from each pose/setup series would have ensured that you get what you expect from the exposures. I have never heard of any normally functioning Pentax camera doing what yours allegedly did. In all my experience with 8 different Pentax dSLRs, I can say assuredly that nothing like this has happened when it was not my own fault. But categorically saying that Pentax sucks is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I'm sure there was a logical explanation for this, even if for an electronic malfunction in the camera. And, it's also possible that an inadvertent hit on the green button might have set the camera to believe it needed to bump up ISO to expose for ambient light with the other settings you had on the camera.

06-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just for fun, how many Good photos came out of this junk over the years before it had a problem !
06-03-2012, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter

1) You get paid for shoots, which means you are a pro. Yet you never thought to review your shots during your whole day's worth of shooting? Not too pro-like.

2) You shoot all day at ISO 100 but the camera is actually at 3200. You never cared to check the shutter speeds which would have screamed faulty? Not too pro-like.

3) You check every 3-5 shots that your ISO is set at 100, but you don't check anything else? Yes, destroy your Pentax, I am sure Canon/Nikon will bring you so much more joy.
06-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #26
Emperor and Senpai

You might run these through Topaz DeNoise or something similar.

If you are mad at it and want to get rid of it simply list it here, state what it did as a buyer beware, then use that to go with another system if you want.
06-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Here's the difference, I wasn't getting paid...I've never gotten paid for my work so I can't afford to buy a new camera body everything a camera comes out. I do have a backup but I don't pull it out unless it's absolutely necessary.
Ah, that explains the tantrums and not drinking... I think the legal age in Michigan is 21.

Oh, but do go on with the details of how Pentax ruined your "career" with a faulty K20D. I'll start making the popcorn.
06-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I'll start making the popcorn.
Popcorn? How about another drink instead?
06-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Please upload a photo with all the EXIF intact.

Until you do that none of us can help you and you can't really prove your case either.
06-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

... I do have a backup but I don't pull it out unless it's absolutely necessary.
Not to pile on but I think you knew better by writing what you wrote. I am also not a pro, but when I do see a pro shooting, I see them shooting multiple bodies - not simply keeping a backup on hand in case their primary locks up or gets wonky.

My biggest problem is knowing what lenses to bring with me. I like traveling light. Sometimes the primes that I bring to the event that I am interested in shooting are either too wide or too long. Pushes my creativity a bit I suppose.
Closed Thread