Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photographers can make mistakes with any camera. You have yet to prove it wasn't your mistake.

Cameras can fail from any manufacturer. You have have no evidence whatsoever that even if this *was* a camera failure, that it is somehow unique to Pentax.

You're angry right now and not thinking logically, but I'm sure you're capable of it, and reason will return.

06-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
We all attempt to help people who are having photographic problems.

I sometimes find it difficult to tell a troll from someone who is having a legitimate problem.
Well, I have yet to see a shrink over here, because this guy obviously needs one.
06-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #48
Veteran Member

100ISO - 3200ISO = 6 stops
K20D max shutter speed = 1/4000s
1/4000s at 3200ISO is about 1/125s at 100ISO

Photographer was shooting on a sunny day. Sunny day rule - F16, 1/125s, ISO 100.

Were you shooting at F16 and darker the whole time...?
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I shoot with K20D and was surprised at one time to find my ISO to be other than what I expected. I was using the battery grip and my first battery went flat. I entered the set up menu and switched to my second battery. Somehow this caused my ISO to revert (I think). Was this the case with you?

I'm sure you'll make good with your re-shoot, and your reputation will survive. We all understand that bad things can sometimes happen to good people. And there's not one of us here who has never been disappointed/surprised at the unexpected outcome from a shoot, be it equipment failure or human error.

06-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #50

I have a K20d and it has always worked flawlessly. The K20d is often mentioned on this forum and yours is the first negative I've seen. Before you smash it to smithereens, try the reset function. Return it to the factory settings and see what that does. I have a number of cameras and occasionally will set something wrong by accident and if I can't immediately figure out what I did wrong the "reset" solves my problem.

I always use the Manual mode and have never had the ISO on any of my cameras show up as anything other than what I set it to be.

If your camera is truly defective I suspect the problem lies in the software. I have had an internal chip go bad on an ancient Olympus E-1, and if I get a a lot of shutter actuations on my K20d something will eventually wear out and it might be a chip. It's a machine; something in it will always wear out.

Lawrence
06-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Historicity Quote
I have a K20d and it has always worked flawlessly. The K20d is often mentioned on this forum and yours is the first negative I've seen. Before you smash it to smithereens, try the reset function. Return it to the factory settings and see what that does. I have a number of cameras and occasionally will set something wrong by accident and if I can't immediately figure out what I did wrong the "reset" solves my problem.

I always use the Manual mode and have never had the ISO on any of my cameras show up as anything other than what I set it to be.

If your camera is truly defective I suspect the problem lies in the software. I have had an internal chip go bad on an ancient Olympus E-1, and if I get a a lot of shutter actuations on my K20d something will eventually wear out and it might be a chip. It's a machine; something in it will always wear out.

Lawrence
IMO, OP is not looking for help, just looking for an excuse to rubbish Pentax, because OP made a beginner error and OP's pride has taken a bashing. Let OP break up the K20, probably doesn't know how to use it properly yet anyway. Unless it was all made up, read some of OP's other thread starts and see if you can detect the foul smell. YMMV

Last edited by Ash; 06-04-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: inappropriate language
06-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #52
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without sounding too pretentious, this thread has very little benefit and is going nowhere with the discussion. Unless the OP has anything further to add, the thread will be closed in a day or so...

06-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #53

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Without sounding too pretentious, this thread has very little benefit and is going nowhere with the discussion. Unless the OP has anything further to add, the thread will be closed in a day or so...
Praise the LORD!
06-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #54
Veteran Member

If such is the case, I do hope so.
06-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I can imagine the Hey Elwood is frustrated and hence his/her emotional opening post. I also don 't think it's fair to call it trolling.

But I think it's fair if he/she comes back with some feedback regarding auto exposure compensation, regardless of the negative posts here (I personally would just ignore them).

By the way, a sample with complete exif might help some of us to figure out what happened.
06-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #56
Veteran Member

It's hard to expect someone to come back and add further details after they have been called a troll and been patronised in multiple comments about their photographic competence. If there was a simple 'user error' explanation we have now very little chance of finding out. Way to go, PentaxForum!
06-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not to pile on, but it is a little extreme to say "Pentax sucks" when your older camera malfunctions. "Electronics suck" in the respect that they often do malfunction in the worst of situations with little warning. Big difference from the old film camera days.

Anyway, one camera's problems do not make a whole brand worthless. I understand your frustration, but these things can (and do) happen with any brand, fortunately not very frequently. SD Cards go bad. In lens motors give out. VR lens elements go wild. Oh the wonders of the modern photographic age!
Closed Thread