Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Auto compensation

When I had my K10, I had the same problem because auto exposure compensation was on. Regardless of the shooting mode (including manual), the camera would boost or pull back ISO to get that 18%. If you still want to play baseball with your K20, I'll play short stop; I would love a scuffed up backup for my K5.

06-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Chance of what ? When you review the shots, the camera shows the ISO for the shot in info mode. I almost always leave my camera in the mode where it shows the exposure and ISO - but not histogram or focal length and other data because then the picture is too small.
06-03-2012, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #33

What, you couldn't tell your shutter speeds were through the roof for the lighting situation you were in?

I think having a broken light meter on my first Pentax film camera was a blessing because I got used to the Sunny 16 rule fast. Now indoors is tricky, but I can still pin point it to within a stop or two.
06-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #34
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There was no indication that the OP was in manual mode or a semi-automatic mode or whatever. A lot of frustration directed at the camera but not much evidence of equipment failure. There's something to be said about blaming tools...

06-03-2012, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Forgot to mention; When Auto compensation was on, my ISO would indicate what I had it set at(200)before I took the shot. When I took the shot however, in that millisecond before the mirror slapped, the ISO would jump to what the camera wanted(1600). From the story you gave, this sounds eerily similar.
06-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
Ever since I bought my K20d I've had nothing but problems.
Sorry for what happened, but with such a conclusion like right up there... if your K20D had given you nothing but problems why did you continue shooting with it?
06-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just wondering if you ever set the "ISO WARNING" on the K20D if it gets over say 400? I have that setting for my K10D so I know it shouldn't ever go above ISO 400. Anything above ISO 400 is very bad on the K10D.

06-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I just tried Corel After Shot Pro which I bought yesterday. It contains a limited version of Noise Ninja.

I tried it with a few pictures from a shoot I did a couple months ago. The lighting conditions were so poor that I had to switch to ISO 6400 (with a Canon T3i) . But I could tell on the LCD screen after magnifying that the shots were not good, so I switched to flash

Well, I tried Noise Ninja on a few of these shots that I kept. I simply cannot believe the results this program gives. I have never seen anything like it. It makes a 6400 ISO shot almost look like ISO 800 . This happens to be one of the rare shoots during which I shot in both RAW and JPEG . The Noise Ninja on RAW really does wonders - not as much on the JPEG. Even at 1:1 magnification, it still looks pretty good. And that's with the 18MP from the T3i, the original pic really had *lots* of noise. I think I might have to start shooting in RAW now. I will check some 6400/12800/25600 ISO files from the K-r and see what Noise ninja can do with them.

I wonder how much better the full version of Noise Ninja could be !

If you shot in RAW at 3200, maybe your shots can still be saved with some processing.
06-04-2012, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I call TROLL, not getting paid, but Pentax has ruined OP's reputation. IMO OP has done quite a good job of that with no help from Pentax. YMMV
06-04-2012, 03:21 AM   #40

No there was not chance of that. I would shoot 3 to 5 shots, then check to see where my setting were and then shoot 3 to 5 more photos. I kept checking to make sure my iso was set at 100, which it was.
Pity about your camera failing you. If you said you didn't have any time to check anything while shooting then I would completely sympathize.

But I don't actually believe that anyone would take the time to check the camera settings including ISO every 3-5 shots but didn't at any stage push one button to review a single shot.

So I understand your anger, but I'd suggest that you consider your own responsibility for not checking a single shot.
06-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
I call TROLL, not getting paid, but Pentax has ruined OP's reputation. IMO OP has done quite a good job of that with no help from Pentax. YMMV
+1 for troll, judging from OP's posting history.

@Elwood Looking at some of your photos, I'd say your much-loathed K20D has served you pretty well.

You don't say what mode you were shooting in, but try this: set your camera to manual mode with ISO set to 100; adjusting aperture / shutter speed should not touch ISO. Take a few shots and review. Switch off and repeat a few times. If any of the photos are recorded as having an ISO other than 100, you've got a hardware fault. Shit happens. If not, the fault lay somewhere behind the viewfinder.

In future, try using Sv mode with ISO set to 100. That will make the camera adjust for constant ISO.

Something to check:
Auto EV compensation: is it on or off? As far as I can tell that adjusts shutter speed / aperture in certain modes, but for all I know it may have an effect on ISO as well.
06-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #42
Banned

Even if one would have a Nikon D4; I could almost expect that most higher end experienced photographers might have even the most entry level Nikon as a back-up.
06-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #43
Forum Member

Guys, why do you feed trolls like this?
06-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

No there was not chance of that. I would shoot 3 to 5 shots, then check to see where my setting were and then shoot 3 to 5 more photos. I kept checking to make sure my iso was set at 100, which it was.

Oh and as for the jerk commenting that I should start drinking because I'm angry over a 4 year old piece of equipment...I have many friends who own cameras that are as old if not older from Canon or Nikon and guess what....THEY WORK FLAWLESSLY. Ever since I bought my K20d I've had nothing but problems. So to tell me that it's due to the camera being old I have a suggestion for you...grab a frying pan and wack some sense into your cranium.
I have 2 x k10s 2 x k20s an 2 x k7s and lots of pro glass ( yes me is an hoarder, my kids will love me for this) We is also x 3rar recon sniper did me ever blamed my rifle for a missed shot??? in my world a missed shot is end of me. A Bad photographer will always blame his equipment. My father has all the Nikon gear, DX3 included and he always asks me how come me can take ( on certian occasions) a better shot then he, my response, I know what I am doing, do you!

Dont blame your equipment for your shortfall.

Last edited by Ash; 06-04-2012 at 01:43 PM.
06-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freddykrueger Quote
Guys, why do you feed trolls like this?
We all attempt to help people who are having photographic problems.

I sometimes find it difficult to tell a troll from someone who is having a legitimate problem.
Closed Thread