Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Albert, your fire scene crop showed much better noise control than I would have expected at ISO 1600. I haven't shot my K10D much past a half-hour after sundown, so you've given me something to look forward to trying!

01-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #17

Original Poster
Wanted to get back to everyone regarding the outcome of my exchange. Thankfully, the Wolf camera out here gave me no problems exchanging the original w/ a replacement.

In response to some posts about the image being underexposed, the are absolutely right. I agree, the image is very under exposed..however where I came from (Canon 30d) this would not be an issue. Yes, there would have been noise and yes it would have probably required post processing to clean it up. However, the pattern is what made me upset with the situation.

I am not saying the 30d is a better body, I did change to the Pentax for a number of reasons (IS in the body, the weather sealing, cost saving on glass compared to replacing lenses to IS version etc)

I have taken more test shots, and when properly exposed, the pattern is not there. If underexposed, I can still see it. If I was planning on shooting night time or gymnasium sports any more, I would probably be switching back to Canon.. However, most of what I derive pleasure from is landscape and portrait work which 1600 is not really a necessity.

I am sticking with the K10d in hopes that Pentax will release a firmware upgrade that eliminates this problem. I did send them an email off their support page and have heard nothing back. I am hopeful, at some point they get back to me...

So, I am going to order some new glass tomorrow and am anxiously awaiting the release of the Tamron 70-200 2.8. Amazon has it listed for 699 which is one helluva price..if it is as good as the Canon 70-200 it is replacing..

Thanks everyone for your feedback and hopefully sometime soon I'll have some images to share!
01-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Albert, your fire scene crop showed much better noise control than I would have expected at ISO 1600. I haven't shot my K10D much past a half-hour after sundown, so you've given me something to look forward to trying!
Thanks, Christine. I have mentioned on the forum that my learning curve has been pretty steep - leaning towards overexposure is the opposite of the slight underexposure slide film often prefers.

I did read up heavily on Exposing To The Right (ETTR), and find that if I leave one specular highlight flashing on my LCD, I get really quite good images, no matter the ISO the camera is using. In some cases where the "blinkies" are really big, I can reduce exposure 1/3 stop at a time until they just go away, and get excellent images.

I consider this process learning to use the tool I have. It's like driving a Mack truck instead of a Toyota Corolla - you have to learn how to parallel park all over again. I'm learning this new toy, and a lot less expensively than I did while I was learning the quirks of the MZ-S at somewhere about 50 cents a shot.