Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #1

K100D Remote?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Which remote do you guys recommend for use with the K100D. I'm looking for a wireless one, that if possible lets me take long exposures in the bulb setting along with the normal shutter release. Thanks

01-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolf74 Quote
Which remote do you guys recommend for use with the K100D. I'm looking for a wireless one, that if possible lets me take long exposures in the bulb setting along with the normal shutter release. Thanks
I got the Pentax Remote F with the grip when I bought my K10D. It handles bulb, but will not lock, so you either have to use your thumb of a brick to hold the button down. For long exposures, I think I will modify the release for my SF-1 for this. It's a cable release, but the cord end for the camera does not match up.
01-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not fond of the Pentax wireless remote due to it's very limited range. Around 15 feet.

I'll be getting something else soon, but don't know what yet.

In my opinion a camera remote should have at least a 50 foot range. That way you can set up your camera on one side of the road, and take a group picture on the other side including yourself in it.

100 feet would be better.
01-21-2008, 01:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I am just about to make my own wired remote control, based on knowledge I picked up from another forum (works for K10D as well as K100D):

Just above the USB connector there is a 2.5 mm stereo jack for remote control.
On the 2.5 mm stereo plug the pinout is
- tip: Shutter
- ring: Focus
- sleeve: Common

Shorting ring to sleeve activates autofocus
Shorting tip to sleeve releases the shutter

Wiring a latching switch in parallel to a momentary pushbutton for the shutter provides a convenient handling of long Bulb exposures.

Best regards
Terry

01-21-2008, 03:07 AM   #5

I have the wired remote from canon (RS-60e3) and it works fine with Pentax K100D (super). It also has the shutter lock for bulb exposures. And it is moderately cheap and well-built.

bad side: it's not pentax
01-21-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
Inactive Account

G'day,
I have a K100D which I use for astrophotography, thus long exposures needed. I have used a wired Canon remote which is quite good as it has a lock (so I don't get a sore thumb from holding the button down.
Recently I have been experimenting with Pentax remote assistant. I have found that Version 1 for the *ist works great. Camera will work best if there is no memory card on-board as the software can transfer directly to my laptop from the camera. I have also discovered a great little trick to get around the 30sec limit for bulb exposures. By holding down the exposure button on the remote assistant software I can take longer exposures. But that can get a bit tedious when taking multiple 5 minute exposures, So, I did a bit of research on the 'net and started reading up on software for creating your own macros. I have created a little program that will allow me to input the time required for the exposure, then I move my mouse pointer over the Remote Assistant exposure button and press enter. TA DA!!!
Have included my little proggy for those whishing to try it. Let me know what you think.
Cheers,
Steve
Attached Files
File Type: zip exposure.zip (208.7 KB, 347 views)
01-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I bought one off eBay for something like 8 dollars that works surprisingly well. It has a button that allows you to trip the shutter, and the button slides forward to lock the shutter open in bulb mode.
This isn't exactly the one I got, but it's similar:
Remote Shutter Release for Pentax K100D K10D as CS-205 - eBay (item 250206777863 end time Jan-22-08 01:00:00 PST)

01-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Aputure Wireless Remote C1 for Canon XT XTi RS-60E3 R7D - eBay (item 190191106256 end time Jan-21-08 16:30:00 PST) That's the one I use. It does everything you are asking for. Wireless and long exposure lock. Claims to work up to 130ft., but I haven't tested that myself. I did to a quick test and fired it off from about 20ft. through a few walls with no problem. It only costs just a little more than the Pentax wireless remote.
01-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey - That remote you have Jodokast. It does long exposure? I need one badly! If you look at my site you can see I did some long exposure shots in the landscape section the other night. I was limited to 30 seconds because I didn't want to hold the camera and shake it.. The images came out fine but, I could have really benefited from a longer exposure and different f-stop.. Did you buy from that guy in China?
01-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolf74 Quote

This one's a little pricey against the rest, but it does allow bulb operation. Looks like this is the instruction

Bulb Mode:
1. Switch the camera to Bulb mode.
2. Press it all the way for 3 seconds until the Red LED on the remote controlgoes off.
3. The receiver is in bulb mode now. (Indicated by Red LED on the receiver)
4. Press the button again to close the shutter.

Wireless Remote Control for 350d 400d Pentax k10d k100d - eBay (item 140199646126 end time Jan-23-08 22:57:05 PST)

woof!
01-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Woof, that is exactly the way the one I have works, though mine is a couple of bucks cheaper.

Tom, yes, that is the exact same one from the same place. Took a little while to get here (maybe 2 weeks?), but hey, it did come from China and within the time specified. It will do exposure for as long as the batteries in them last I would suppose.
01-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ther eis a small article in the UK magazine Photography Monthly December edition.

there are universal IR remotes for 25 and 50 meters and radio ones up to 100 meters

Try the following products Hama, Secureline and Tamrac