Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
when you are doing a wedding and your sd card goes for a poop, then your reputation and or business is on the line...or maybe a couple of lawyers giving you their calling card
that is why they have 2 slots, so you have a copy of the original

06-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #17

I have to agree it's less of having extra storage but more about redundancy.

Imagine shooting an entire important event only to lose your shots at the end because your SD card failed or got corrupted.
06-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I do not think this matters at all . SDXC can go up to 2TB . There will probably be some cards that reach that limit in a few years.
Dual slots just doesn't seem too interesting. If you shoot that many pictures or hours of video, surely you can switch cards.

I would rather have one very fast slot instead, say UHS-1 or UHS-2, so the shooting fps doesn't slow down.
06-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Dual slot is very important, so I sure hope it has it. It's not important for space, it's important for redundancy. I don't have any important data on a single device these days, and photos whilst on an O/S trip are pretty important.

06-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Dual slot is very important, so I sure hope it has it. It's not important for space, it's important for redundancy. I don't have any important data on a single device these days, and photos whilst on an O/S trip are pretty important.
Even on overseas trip, you can transfer your photos to a laptop on a regular basis. Most computers don't have all data backed up in realtime also. There is no real avoiding having some important data on a single device for some amount of time.

I haven't had the displeasure of experiencing a card failure with SD cards. Had lots of Smartmedia that died in the past unfortunately with my first Olympus compact, a very long time ago
06-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
when you are doing a wedding and your sd card goes for a poop, then your reputation and or business is on the line...or maybe a couple of lawyers giving you their calling card
That would definitely be a major problem. I know one photographer who lost a bunch of shots from a wedding job after his SD card failed. However, not doing anything that high stakes ever myself I feel comfortable using 4 and 8 gig cards and putting them to my external after shooting. That's around 100 and 200 RAW files, respectively. Also, I only use Sandisk Extreme cards that I feel pretty confident about. What I need to be doing though is backing up the files on my external drive to BD faithfully. Long term safe keeping of my whole library is what has me more worried. All that said, while dual card slots wouldn't be a tie breaker for me, it certainly wasn't between the K5 and D7000, I would make use of them for redundancy's sake if my next body were to have them.

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I would rather have one very fast slot instead, say UHS-1 or UHS-2, so the shooting fps doesn't slow down.
Is the card even where the bottleneck for burst shots is? I thought it was mostly with the camera's buffer but I honestly don't know how any of that works.
06-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Sure, but I don't travel with laptops on family vacations, and a few extra SD cards are a lot smaller and lighter than laptops. It's not a deal breaker (otherwise I'd have a D7000 rather than a K-5), but it would be very nice to have.
06-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
That would definitely be a major problem. I know one photographer who lost a bunch of shots from a wedding job after his SD card failed. However, not doing anything that high stakes ever myself I feel comfortable using 4 and 8 gig cards and putting them to my external after shooting. That's around 100 and 200 RAW files, respectively. Also, I only use Sandisk Extreme cards that I feel pretty confident about. What I need to be doing though is backing up the files on my external drive to BD faithfully. Long term safe keeping of my whole library is what has me more worried. All that said, while dual card slots wouldn't be a tie breaker for me, it certainly wasn't between the K5 and D7000, I would make use of them for redundancy's sake if my next body were to have them.

Is the card even where the bottleneck for burst shots is? I thought it was mostly with the camera's buffer but I honestly don't know how any of that works.
On most current cameras, I think the SD[HC,XC] write speed is limited to about 20 MB/s . It would only be about 1-2 images per second in RAW. I think that's the main reason why a large buffer is required. Pictures do not get written to the card until the buffer is full, and after that, you can only shoot as fast as the camera can write to the card. If the SD writer could support UHS-1 speed (up to 104MB/s), the need for a large buffer might become less necessary. However, the camera's SD writer needs to support UHS-1 speeds. It's not just the card speed.

This card for example allows 90MB/s writes : SanDisk ExtremeŽ Pro? SDHC?/SDXC? UHS-I memory cards . That might be enough for 5-6 fps in RAW shooting without buffering.

06-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Even on overseas trip, you can transfer your photos to a laptop on a regular basis. Most computers don't have all data backed up in realtime also. There is no real avoiding having some important data on a single device for some amount of time.
I still carry a old mini-notebook with a CD burner inside. Before I got the K20D, I shot 5mpx and 8mpx P&S's. At the end of each travel day somewhere in the Americas, I'd back up the cards to the computer, and burn CDs of that day's shots. Thus I always had multiple backups.

Can't do that now unless I get a portable DVD burner, but why bother? This just occurred to me: Get a couple little portable USB-powered 1TB drives. When a card fills, back it up to BOTH drives. Again, multiple backups, and handier and smaller than stacks of optical discs.

QuoteQuote:
I haven't had the displeasure of experiencing a card failure with SD cards. Had lots of Smartmedia that died in the past unfortunately with my first Olympus compact, a very long time ago
I have used SM, CF, MemStick, SD, and probably a couple formats with AV gear over the past 1.5 decades. I possess more than a few of each. I always do a couple complete formats before using the card, and none since. I have NEVER had a card fail except by user error. NOTE: Go easy on the aguardiente before changing cards!
06-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I have used SM, CF, MemStick, SD, and probably a couple formats with AV gear over the past 1.5 decades. I possess more than a few of each. I always do a couple complete formats before using the card, and none since. I have NEVER had a card fail except by user error. NOTE: Go easy on the aguardiente before changing cards!
Lucky you. By the time I sold my Olympus C3030Z for a pittance on Ebay, 90% of the SmartMedia I had had become worthless, including a bunch of expensive brandname 64MB cards. I think I only had one working card left... I never had anything like these problems with SD.