Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K** will it have

Does anyone think that the post K5 pentax will have dual slots for memory cards like several high end cameras?
something you would like to have?
would be a nice feature for things like wedding

any thoughts welcomed

randy

06-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't mind dual slots but it's not a real important feature for me. If I did have a camera with them I'd probably use it for back up when working and then overflow for casual shooting.
06-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I personally wouldn't mind having it, but don't find it necessary.

I see how it could be useful for like you mentioned, someone who shoots weddings or events. Other camera brands have it- why shouldn't Pentax?
06-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Maybe on the full frame if that ever materializes. But with the size of cards these days (128gb!) I doubt anyone needs two slots for extra storage. Backup, or write to both cards for insurance at a wedding, yeah I can understand that. But not really as big a deal as it was a few years ago. If you need onsite backup better to have a portable hard disk thingy that backs up the cards as you fill them.

06-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I'm pretty much on-board with the other comments: Wouldn't mind having it, but never felt like it was something my camera lacked.

I suppose it's an expenditure that would have an impact on the final price, and we all know price is something everybody's keeping a keen eye on lately. Nevertheless, I can't imagine the implementation would be difficult and card-reading hardware shouldn't be an expensive part.

Post-script: The devil/angel on my shoulder reminds me how many ruined SD card slots we've had on the kiosks in our photo lab due to people not paying attention to what they're doing. Twice as many card slots in the camera body means twice the opportunity to break something!
06-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
I suppose it's an expenditure that would have an impact on the final price,
True and also space, I know the card slot is small but every cubic mm counts in a Pentax camera. Personally I would be surprised if they ever add two slots, the Pentax design philosophy seems focused on making it as small and functional as possible.
06-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe on the full frame if that ever materializes. But with the size of cards these days (128gb!) I doubt anyone needs two slots for extra storage. Backup, or write to both cards for insurance at a wedding, yeah I can understand that. But not really as big a deal as it was a few years ago. If you need onsite backup better to have a portable hard disk thingy that backs up the cards as you fill them.
You know, I got a 645D, and with SD card being that large, I still have not spilled over to the card 2. also, SD card is small that it is easier to carry than extra batteries . . . . If one is having to swap out to another battery, it is just easy to pop in another card. So, dual slot to me is not that important, even with large files that 645D creates.
06-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm not anxious. The cams I've used with twin card slots have been P&S's supporting both their proprietary cards (Sony and Olympus) and SD cards. Hay, that old Oly C5050 supported THREE different cards (xD, SM, CF) with two slots! I can see twin SDHC slots on dSLRs being useful for shooting video or LOTS of continuous bursts. Hay, does anyone remember the days when cine film came in 100-ft reels? Takes were about 90 seconds long; then it was time to change reels. How long could twin 128Gb SD cards absorb video?

06-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe on the full frame if that ever materializes. But with the size of cards these days (128gb!)

If it would ever come to be for Pentax; think of it as being a built in version of "memory card RAID" or the option of either exact copies of ones memory cards - or using them back to back for additional capacity.

But I do somewhat agree with your post. Most would not in fact ever have the need to use the cards in a non-mirrored manner. Also though; I would strongly suggest that very few people ever use any memory card of that size unless they also have on impressive computer. Imagine of someone had any size platter hard drive on their computer and only 4gb or ram; and then trying to defrag once the 128 crd loads onto the computer. It would take many, many hours for the defrag - and might also even lock up a few computers
06-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
You know, I got a 645D, and with SD card being that large, I still have not spilled over to the card 2. also, SD card is small that it is easier to carry than extra batteries . . . . If one is having to swap out to another battery, it is just easy to pop in another card. So, dual slot to me is not that important, even with large files that 645D creates.
I was thinking that the photo would be written to both cards, that way if one fails, the other one is safe. Kind of like raid 1

thanks

randy
06-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Banned

128GB not big enough ?

06-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Name:  NECESSARY-NICE.gif
Views: 402
Size:  1.8 KB
06-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I just fail to see why people want dual slots... it takes less than a second to swap a SD card... unlike the CF card which could be damaged with bent pins if you rush it (perhaps for CF cards yes).

Last edited by aleonx3; 06-09-2012 at 06:18 PM.
06-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I just fail to see why people want dual slots... it takes less than a second to swap a SD card... unlike the CF card which could be damaged with bent pins if you rush it (perhaps for CF cards yes).
1) Backup.
2) Potential for better cache-clearing.
06-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
1) Backup.
2) Potential for better cache-clearing.

3) or 1 slot for RAW and 1 slot for JPEG ( if you shoot RAW+)
or video on the 2nd card if you do video.