Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #1

K20 - random blurry frames

I have a K20 that I use for a third camera at weddngs. It has recently started producing random blurred images. SR is enabled and it started doing this about a couple weeks ago and it seems to be getting worse. almost every second frame looks like this. not sure what it is. anyone ever had this happen before? it has a shutter count of 97,000 so i think it's time to retire it. see the attached side by side of 2 frames one right after the other. settings are f5.6 1/125 sec at iso 800. the lens i have on is the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD.

Thanks for your input

Attached Images

06-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Were you getting the "hand" icon? Shake reduction takes a few seconds to settle when you first turn it on, possible SR mechanism going bad?
06-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #3

Hmm. I do not expect much when I use 5.6 & 1/125. Also I rarely use ISO 800; so you may use your K20d differently than I use mine. Of course I am out on hikes and want more depth of field if possible. I will open up to 5.6 only if poor light drives me there. I see umbrellas so perhaps that was happening at the time. If you had to use ISO 800 in poor light and then got an out of focus result, I would suspect the Automatic focus. That is, perhaps it had to hunt for a focus in the poor light and hadn't quite gotten there when the shutter clicked.

If your camera is telling you it has captured focus and despite that produces a blurred photo then indeed something is wrong with the camera. But if it hasn't quite captured the focus yet, then the camera may be limited but not necessarily faulty.

Lawrence
06-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Never seen anything like that with my K20D, but then I don't have 97k on the shutter count! Any motion induced blur would be much less than is visible in that shot at 1/125th surely. I would suspect camera fault

Try it out on a tripod with and without SR on to see if the mechanism is at fault, or if indeed it is somehow motion induced.

06-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not auto-focus issue, you can see movement blur whether real or artificial and not focus fuzziness in my opinion. Looks like an SR problem to me, its possibly correcting for movement that isn't there kinda like when you use a manual lens and pick a drastically wrong focal length for the SR, though I've never seen it anywhere near that bad without actual camera movement. I don't think its the SR just not working unless you have absolutely horrible camera skills since many people shoot with it turned off down to 125 with no issue.
If you can get it to happen from the tripod with confirmed correct focus its the SR and you may just have to permanently leave it off. (have to use normal shutter button to test though since 2 second timer shuts SR off, and I think the remote does too)
I really never have seen anything like that though, its like automatic dust removal turned on mid shot.
06-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you have camera switched to continuous shooting for these events? Did you leave the shutter button pressed for slightly longer than usual which forced a second frame to be inadvertantly shot but you were not expecting the frame to be shot so you are reframing as it is taken creating camera motion blur?

I have K20 and have done this when busy on a shoot. In the noise and heat of the moment I do not notice the second frame being taken.
06-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks like continuous shooting mode is on... with continuous shooting mode, the focus does not have to be locked to trip the shutter.

06-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There's no way that this is a focus issue. It looks like the sensor is moving during the exposure and it looks way too much to be user caused camera shake. I suspect the SR is malfunctioning and moving the sensor during the actual exposure.
06-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Given your extensive experience it sure looks like a camera problem. However, to be sure you need to try another battery. Charge and change to the newly charged battery. If you have not tried another battery I say you have a chance of it being a power problem (not enough current for the SR system). Another way you can test - use liveview with SR on (and the new battery in).

BTW did it start at the wedding above? Its obvious in the pic some folks are wet and it was raining. You had a non-WR lens on the K20D but, you could have been under something or using another method to keep water away from the lens. Not blaming you

Hope things work out

Last edited by jamesm007; 06-14-2012 at 04:30 AM.
06-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Does it happen with other lenses as well?
With SR off?
What focal length is recorded in the EXIF?