Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
He just needs to slap some woodgrain on them:
ILOTT Vintage / Home
Woodgrain worth $2000+ !? Geese, I'm not that rich

06-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got to see a crazy collection in person once. My college, Miami University, has one of the largest and most complete Leica collections ever assembled privately. Google Charles Messer Leica Miami University and you will find it. They are supposed to put some of it online soon. In one of my photo classes we got to go and look and them and not just the ones on permanent display. This guy just started collecting them in the fifties and then in the seventies he donated them to the school. I just could never figure out why you would spend all of that time and money collecting them and not use them.
06-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I just could never figure out why you would spend all of that time and money collecting them and not use them.
I'll think of my brother-in-law's shrink-wrapped accumulation of classic cams, and I'll say it's because of mental disease. But then my neglected 620 and 135 cams stare down at me... and I think, "At least I don't collect clothes-dryer lint. Or Dobros."

The short answer about such accumulation is, "Because they/we can". The long answer -- well, I'm no Freudian nor Subgenius nor other mystic, but maybe the "voices in our heads" get carried away at times, eh? What, another 10 Leica MPs? Of course!

Last edited by RioRico; 06-12-2012 at 06:30 PM.
06-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #19

It's a fake ad, or at least it's not his photo. It's one in a series on Flickr, taken when the owner was moving. I don't have the link but I bet you could find it easily.

06-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Yes really easy, just do a google image search with the url for the photo.
You can also do this to check for unauthorised use of your own photos too.

Google Search

Its from a guy on flickr taken in 2010 when he was moving all (and selling some) of the collection.
He has a for sale page on flickr which is a bit out of date with 65 cameras on it. (5 Pentax)
It might even be legit ???, the ad is from the same local area where the guy appears to be based.

LOL the Craigslist ad. "Must pick up by yourself"
06-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Oh, good, I don't have any issues. I wonder how close Nesster is. Hysterical
06-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crazy!

06-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

One may need to be Hoarder to have some hard-to-find items in a set - ie buying a lens lot - Then besomes Goods-trader to get ridd of the lemons and duplicates.
In the mean time lenses just Accumulate. With some luck, one may become a Generic collector, but Serious collector might be impossible due to prices, limited access/quantity.

Nice words RioRico.

Would you spend ~3000usd for a Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-S.C 85mm f/1.5???
06-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Would you spend ~3000usd for a Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-S.C 85mm f/1.5???
I wouldn't even trust myself to be in the same room with one!

I must maintain some perspective. I have no disposable income now, so before I can buy something, I must sell something, and I don't have enough stuff I want to sell in order to buy such a lens. And since I got the Nikkor 85/2 for US$9, why should I blow 166x as much for a slightly faster lens? Anyway, back when we had incomes, we bought stuff, museum-quality arts and crafts, individual pieces now worth more than all I've ever spent on photo gear. Those niceties are indeed more precious to me than would be a fancy lens -- and they'll appreciate more in value. That dentist's lens (*) is just not anywhere in my future.

(*) Dentist's lenses: Dentists can afford them. Ordinary folks can't. Includes Leica.