Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Here is the crasiest person I've seen so far :)

Over 1000+ collections!

1000 old vintage film camera collection

Oh, mine!

Can you beat his collection?

06-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's insane.
06-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My fictional back story: The guy made a mint buying stuff at yard sales, craigslist, etc: great lenses with an obsolete body attached. He sold the lenses at a substantial profit but was stuck with the bodies.
06-11-2012, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Gargle for toy camera collection and variants thereof, and you'll find the Camera Collector website and the Toy Camera website and the CamerOddities website and this interesting Camera Collection page and eventually you'll find the guy who admits to over 1500 toy cameras (but I can't find him now).

Then there's my brother-in-law with too much money. He doesn't exactly collect cameras and lenses. He just accumulates them. By the hundreds. He doesn't even know how many. No toy cameras: old view-cams, folders, Leicas, Hassys, classic stuff. All shrink-wrapped and stashed in his cellar. Over 1000? Who knows? His widow-to-be assures me that after he drinks himself to death, *I* get to collate and sell the collection. Hay Fred, have some more Smirnoff!

06-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thats .... just .... so .... wrong!
06-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #6

5 bucks or so a camera, sounds like a pretty good deal, (I think?)
06-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcamero Quote
5 bucks or so a camera, sounds like a pretty good deal, (I think?)
$50. Doesn't sound like a good deal unless there are some some actual quality cameras in there. I'd suspect he is keeping the good stuff or already sold them individually.

06-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

He's not insane for having 1000 cameras. He's insane for thinking they're worth 50 grand.
06-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I see at least a dozen copies there of Argus C-3 (The Brick!) worth maybe US$10 each. And those are up front -- he didn't even hide them in the back. We have names for this sort of sale: Fantasy. Trolling for suckers. Luzer.
06-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I see at least a dozen copies there of Argus C-3 (The Brick!) worth maybe US$10 each. And those are up front -- he didn't even hide them in the back. We have names for this sort of sale: Fantasy. Trolling for suckers. Luzer.
He just needs to slap some woodgrain on them:
ILOTT Vintage / Home
06-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
Over 1000+ collections!

1000 old vintage film camera collection

Oh, mine!

Can you beat his collection?
I thought that was a story about RioRico
06-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I thought that was a story about RioRico
Ha. Ha. No, my camera accumulation is rather modest, only 40 currently, with another 35 sold. [NOTE: I'm an occasional gear-trader on eBay. I buy batches of stuff, keep what I want, and try to resell the rest.] Maybe half of my 'keepers' were either gifts or inheritances or mementos of my childhood. Yeah, I still have my first Kodak Brownie Starlet 127! And many of my Dad's cameras. Others are tag-ends of batches that are hardly worth selling. But one of these days I may set aside some effectivo (cash) to wander through thrift shops and grab 'toy' cameras for one buck each. That'll have to wait till I clear some shelves.

Last edited by RioRico; 06-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually as was stated considering a lot of what is in that picture is duplicates of pure crap, this is clearly just hoarding of the sort that seriously needs intervention, there is no sense whatsoever to it. For it to be a collection there would have to be a reason other than just because its a camera for each piece to be present.
06-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Actually as was stated considering a lot of what is in that picture is duplicates of pure crap, this is clearly just hoarding of the sort that seriously needs intervention, there is no sense whatsoever to it. For it to be a collection there would have to be a reason other than just because its a camera for each piece to be present.
I usually go by these definitions re: sets of possessible objects:
  • Serious collection: Possessing the entire set. I have serious collections of certain media. I will never have a serious collection of Takumars.
  • Generic collection: Possessing characteristic examples of the set. We own generic collections of Native American crafts and Mayan huipiles.
  • Accumulation: Possessing some available portion of the set. I have accumulations of maps, lenses, cameras, stringed instruments, books, etc.
  • Hoarding: Possessing whatever we can get of the set. Yes, keeping 15 copies of the same model of the Argus C3 (The Brick!) is hoarding.
  • Goods-trading: Buying all sorts of stuff in order to resell it, hopefully for a profit. Buying 16 of The Brick! and selling 15 of them is bidness.
So the guy trying to sell these 1000+ cameras may or may not be anal-retentive, obsessive-compulsive -- or maybe the original AR/OC accumulator died, and some heir is trying to cash in. Whatever. This listing just looks to me like bidness.
06-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #15

Original Poster
I think that guy might want to collect all of the possible models of camera that human ever made then finally failed after digital camera dominates the market .

This is an example of how technology made camera collector's career ceased