Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #16

Suggestion

If you've been playing around with custom settings like I did when I first got my camera, you might want to try resetting the camera to default settings.

I don't have my manual in front of me, so check yours. There are some submenus which have a "reset' function (not just the format card menu) that helped me get back on track. Press MENU, the click right or up and down to find the resets.

Other suggestions to trouble shoot:

Check the side of the lens near the camera body and make sure AutoFocus is set, and not Manual Focus.

Are you pressing the shutter button half-way and giving the lens time to focus on the subject? It can take a second or two depending on the image. Look for the little <> shaped icon to appear in your viewfinder screen to tell you something is in focus (or you might hear a beep, I turned mine off.)

One final test: Turn off shake reduction, set the camera on a tripod or table, press the button halfway and see if the camera lens turns to focus, then continue to press all the way down to take a photo. See if that is any better. If so, it could be that you are moving the camera too much when you click the shutter while hand-holding. Turn SR back on, take a more stable pose and see if that helps.

Good luck.

PS - If you have a good camera shop where you purchased the thing, take it too them and tell them about what problem you're having. Sometimes it is easier and faster to troubleshoot in person.

01-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

the flower pic is motioned blurred..

too low a shutter speed with no flash indoor lighting.. sr will only compensate for so much..

u need to make sure the iso being used is at least 800 this will enable a faster shutter speed to be used.. use the camera in P mode and manually set the iso to at least 800.. forget the other junk.. learn to use the av control to select your aperture.. the camera will take care of the rest.. the larger the aperture the faster the shutter speed will be and less motion blur will occur..

practise helps as well.. try and hold the camera as steady as possible..

trog
01-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #18
Forum Member

Hope you don't mind if I help you out a bit - here's the flower pic for ya (taken from your flickr site) . . .

To show these in the forum, just right click any photo from flickr (or anywhere else on the web, for that matter) and choose "properties". Then highlight and copy the "location". For your flower shot, the location is "http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/341127378_f4f988c484.jpg?v=0". To get it to show up as a photo, put image tags around it - [IMG]image location[/IMG]

Hope that helps!
01-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks a lot for the tips. will try that and will get back to you all. and on posting pic to this site - thanks also for the tip. still a newbie in DSLR and Pentax forum worlds.......

cruiserlan2000

01-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Hi cruiserlan2000,

The exif of your flower shot shows 7/10 second and the one of the the people show a 1 second exposure. They are actually quite good for such slow shutter speeds. You're just asking too much from the camera. Even at ISO 3200, your flower shot would have been @ 1/5 sec, and hard to handhold, but probably doable with SR. If you really want sharp pics in these conditions, flash would be your best bet.

snostorm
01-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I'll venture a guess - is the diopter focused correctly?
Yes, I was going to ask the same question. Cruiserlan: while you are looking through the viewfinder, move the mechanical slider that's right above the viewfinder to the left or the right slightly until the INFO VALUES shown below your image are as sharp as they can be. Note that when you do this, you're trying to get the info values (you know, shutter speed, aperture, etc) to be nice and crisp, not the image itself which you can ignore. In fact, you can do this with the lens cap on the camera.

Fwiw, though, even if the diopter is way off, that should not affect auto-focus.

Will
01-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #22

Thanks! That fixed my issue. I can't believe it was so simple.
01-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cruiserlan2000 Quote
here's the url for the flower blurry pic i mentioned. sorry as i have to use flickr since i can't figure out how to load a big file here....

Flickr: Photos from vmaniqui

thanks,
cruiserlan2000
All those pictures are perfectly in focus.

My guess that you're are dissatisfied with blurred background. It is normal thing with DSLR and believe me blurred background makes your pictures much better, it helps to isolate main object of picture. Without blurred background you'll get just chaos of flowers, leaves etc.

If you want to have deeper DOF you need to close down aperture.

01-11-2008, 06:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cruiserlan2000 Quote
here's the url for the flower blurry pic i mentioned. sorry as i have to use flickr since i can't figure out how to load a big file here....

Flickr: Photos from vmaniqui

thanks,
cruiserlan2000
Neither can i, so i post links aswell.

Had a look at those pictures on flickr and they all look fine to me. If you are referring to the back ground blurry, then yes it is. That just means the Auto mode has selected an large aperature , which would give you this.
Forget those auto features and use P.:-)
Dave
01-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a quick comment on the dipoter being focused.

I am not sure diopter misadjustment will have any effect on image regardless of manual or AF.

the reason is that you are focusing the dipoter to correct the image projected by the lens on the viewing screen. no matter what adjustment you make for your eyes with respect to the screen, a fizzy image on the focusing screen will never be made clear in the view finder regardless of diopter adjustment.

As others have commented, and this may be a question raised by someone coming from a range finder camera, the range finders usually have exceptional depth of field in the viewfinder, where as an SLR shows more of what the lens actually sees.