Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hercules, CA
Posts: 63
Getting Frustrated....

got my K100D and just had the time to play with it. when i format my SD card the screen will show "FORMATTING" then after about 1 second my screen will turn blank. it didn't even show FORMAT done or something. is this common. on another issue when i tried to take a picture of my flowers in the flower vase, the icon on the info screen will show as focus but when i preview the picture of the flower i took it look blurry yet everything is saying as focus including the eyepice. i am trying to focus @ about 1 foot and i am using the 18-55 kit @ auto pic and 35mm (just an experiment for me). any idea why? am i doing something weird here. pardon my ignorance as this is my first DSLR (although i had experience with Pentax MX but that was about 25 years or so ago) now i am trying to convince myself if i did the right move in going from P&S to DSLR. as you know i had the PANASONIC FZ7 the same time i had my K100D and with the PANA it's all automatic with 400+mm focal lenght. guess i am getting too old for the SLR thing. just getting frustrated at an early time.

thanks a lot for the input and may you all have a HAPPY NEW YEAR.......
cruiserlan2000

12-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,849
When fornatting a card, the screen says "formatting", and the orange "card busy" lihgt will be on for about a second or two. Both turn off when done. Done :-)

For your focus problem...what is the shutter speed you are using? Is anything in focus? Do other images father away focus correctly?
12-29-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hercules, CA
Posts: 63
Original Poster
specialk - so it's normal for the screen to turn blank. everything is blurry. but when i looked at the optical viewfinder they're all focused yet as soon as i took picture and look at the monitor it's blurry. i had my SR on though. and i noticed that the shutter seems to be moving slow. i don't have my flash on. what do you think. thanks in advance....

cruiserlan2000
12-29-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member
-=JoN=-'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,000
post up a picture, so we can see what the EXIF shows.

if you have slow shutter speed, regardless of what you see in the finder, it's gonna be blurry (even w/ SR on..it can only compensate for so much)...

12-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hercules, CA
Posts: 63
Original Poster
Jon/specialk - i will try to post a pic. just give me time as i am a newbie here. need to do some navigation....

thakns again,
cruiserlan2000
12-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Alvin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,530
Cruiser - I'd like to see the shot too. Were you indoors?
12-30-2006, 06:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
Izzy's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 112
QuoteOriginally posted by cruiserlan2000 Quote
on another issue when i tried to take a picture of my flowers in the flower vase, the icon on the info screen will show as focus but when i preview the picture of the flower i took it look blurry yet everything is saying as focus including the eyepiece. i am trying to focus @ about 1 foot and i am using the 18-55 kit @ auto pic and 35mm (just an experiment for me). any idea why?
Here is my non-scientific answer. It gets confused. I've had the same thing happen both directions. It'll give me a go when I can clearly see through the view finder that the photo is fuzzy. It will refuse to let me take the shot when I can see it's perfectly fine. I think the problem is the auto pic mode. I use it quite a lot out in bright natural sun light. It seems to crumble inside. Remember, auto pic is trying to think for you & pick between a landscape shot, portrait, macro etc.

Please try shooting your vase in the P mode. Your FZ has such a mode. It's also an auto mode, but isn't trying to make decision and adjustments based on how far out your lens is extended. (try to pic a "scene" for the shot).

Hang tough - the camera rocks! Time is on your side. The FZ7 is a sweet little camera, but after a few months with the K100D I dare someone to try and pry it out of my little hands
12-30-2006, 06:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member
JCSullivan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Canada
Posts: 3,058
I'll venture a guess - is the diopter focused correctly?

12-30-2006, 06:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,610
Echoes Izzy

QuoteOriginally posted by cruiserlan2000 Quote
got my K100D and just had the time to play with it. when i format my SD card the screen will show "FORMATTING" then after about 1 second my screen will turn blank. it didn't even show FORMAT done or something. is this common. on another issue when i tried to take a picture of my flowers in the flower vase, the icon on the info screen will show as focus but when i preview the picture of the flower i took it look blurry yet everything is saying as focus including the eyepice. i am trying to focus @ about 1 foot and i am using the 18-55 kit @ auto pic and 35mm (just an experiment for me). any idea why? am i doing something weird here. pardon my ignorance as this is my first DSLR (although i had experience with Pentax MX but that was about 25 years or so ago) now i am trying to convince myself if i did the right move in going from P&S to DSLR. as you know i had the PANASONIC FZ7 the same time i had my K100D and with the PANA it's all automatic with 400+mm focal lenght. guess i am getting too old for the SLR thing. just getting frustrated at an early time.

thanks a lot for the input and may you all have a HAPPY NEW YEAR.......
cruiserlan2000
When I first got my DS I was having some of the same problems (not exactly the same, but frustration over OOF picts, blurred shots etc) Someone then suggested I use the P mode until I had gotten more used to the camera. Worked for me. I used P mode almost exclusively for almost 2 months, experimenting with all the other modes when I had the time and realizing that they were just that, experiments. For anything that mattered to me I used P mode. I learned a lot in that time, and now comfortably shoot in P, Av (most of the time) Tv, and M modes, and am generally satisfied with my results. Stick with it, there is a learning curve, but it's not a particularily steep one, you'll be amazed at how quickly the good shots will come.

NaCl(I didn't get it a souffle to rise the first time I tried either)H2O
12-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,532
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I'll venture a guess - is the diopter focused correctly?
that is what I am thinking as well
12-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: carpentersville, IL
Posts: 693
I'll 3rd that statement. On the k100d I had the diopeter set all the way to the right, and everything looked fine to me but pics were blurry. Put it back one click to the left, and it's working much better now...
12-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member
-=JoN=-'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,000
if he's using AF tho..wouldnt the diopter adjustments be a moot point?

it would not affect the af....doesnt it?
12-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hercules, CA
Posts: 63
Original Poster
ok. i still need to learn how to post pic here. since my file was so big i can;t upload it. maybe someone can educate me. anyway i thank you all for the nice comments. great to have this forum and great to have some experts teach the newbie like me. here's what my settings are: it is an indoor and nightime shot. i had it @ AUTO PIC, 35mm focal lenght, no flash, diopter is set (it was the first thing i fixed). i checked viewfinder and heard the clicking sound so it's focus, hit the shutter release and wallahhhh the picture is blurred as in everything on the pic is blurry. haven't tried the P setting yet. i will try tonight and see how it's working. i hope it's just a user error.

cruiserlan2000
12-31-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
Senior Member
chedoy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 143
QuoteOriginally posted by cruiserlan2000 Quote
an indoor and nightime shot. i had it @ AUTO PIC, 35mm focal lenght, no flash, diopter is set (it was the first thing i fixed). i checked viewfinder and heard the clicking sound so it's focus, hit the shutter release and wallahhhh the picture is blurred as in everything on the pic is blurry.
My money is bet that you had a long exposure time and no tripod, so you're looking at motion blur. What value did the top LCD display show for Tv? Try it with the flash up.

The rule of thumb was that shutter speed should be 1/(focal length). In your case, that means 1/35 second or faster. Your exposure will be 1/Tv. If you go out to a 200mm lens, for extra margin, people like to use 1/(2x focal length). Of course, the SR helps mitigate this rule a lot, but not if your exposures approach .5 seconds.

Use a photo program to resize your images under 800 pixels and you should be able to attach them.

P.S. When did shutter speed get changed to Tv anyway. Why wasn't I informed?
01-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hercules, CA
Posts: 63
Original Poster
here's the url for the flower blurry pic i mentioned. sorry as i have to use flickr since i can't figure out how to load a big file here....

Flickr: Photos from vmaniqui

thanks,
cruiserlan2000
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, flower, focus, format, k100d, photography, picture, screen, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frustrated With My K-7 (Blurry Muck) slowdive101 Pentax DSLR Discussion 52 10-25-2010 08:21 AM
Frustrated with KX Manual White Balance for IR... Internetpilot Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 06-15-2010 01:30 PM
Frustrated with color calibration Javaslinger Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 10 03-10-2010 11:48 PM
Frustrated with Shutterfly Photobook Muggins Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 12-15-2009 06:43 PM
I'm so frustrated xs400 Photographic Technique 23 12-12-2007 01:31 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top