Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arthur pappas Quote
Hello everyone,

I just bought a K100D Super & am slowly learning how to use it. It's my first ever SLR. I really love this camera & only yesterday moved it into P Mode (not ready for M yet). The camera came with the kit lens (18-55). I like to walk the downtown streets of my city & snap pics of people. Also, I plan on going to Peru this year. I can easily see myself wandering the streets of Lima snapping pics of the locals living their lives.

Anyway, I want to take one lens with me, preferrably a non-zoom lens. A friend of mine suggested these:

Sigma 30

Pentax 50

What do you guys think?
Wow
So many opinions, poor fellow must be more confused than ever..I believe Lowell hit the nail on the head and going back to the OP. Now it seems to me that he is most interested in taking photos of people..If this is the case and say he someone of interest across the street a zoom would be most helpful and get a more detailed pic. Using a 50mm lens would still get you the capture, but very little detail of the over all photo...
Now if his subjects were ''posing'' for him, then thats a different story, but that is not what I gathered from the OP.

As someone else mentioned, the only time that the 18-250zooms will be at a disadvantage is when it starts to get dark and simply put, Crank up that ISO.

01-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
No matter what he does, he will look like a tourist in peru if he has an SLR!
Well, there's something to be said for that!

If you want to remain discreet, you can always pick up one of these, a bag full of film, and a decent scanner for the amount you'd spend on a good SLR lens:

Compact 35's
01-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Arthur,
If your getting too confused over all the posts here (I know I'd be if I was new to the SLR world) let me know. Preferably with a Private Message.

I'll probably be passing through Chilliwack in less than 2 weeks, and I will have an assortment of lenses including a 28mm prime, 35mm prime, 2 or 3 - 50mm primes a 55mm prime, and several zooms. Although I don't own a copy of the legendary 18-250.

I'd be willing to meet up with you for a quick coffee, and let you try a few out in the coffee shop.
It should give you a better idea of what you'll need.
01-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
I want to thank all for their input. I did not expect so much advice & am really glad I joined this community. I just bought the Pentax 50mm lens yesterday, although I don't expect it to arrive until late next week-ish or the following week. A friend showed me his 14mm (I think) wide angle lens he had mounted on his Nikon & that's definately a lens that I'll be buying next

01-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Wow, you guys are all great and reading threads like this is fun even though I haven't bought my camera yet!
01-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arthur pappas Quote
I want to thank all for their input. I did not expect so much advice & am really glad I joined this community. I just bought the Pentax 50mm lens yesterday, although I don't expect it to arrive until late next week-ish or the following week. A friend showed me his 14mm (I think) wide angle lens he had mounted on his Nikon & that's definately a lens that I'll be buying next
If you have been using your kit lens in low light, you are going to LOVE the "Light Sponge" (50/1.4)
01-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will the 50mm 1.4 FA give better image sharpness than my SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1.4?

01-23-2008, 11:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

My vote goes for the Sigma 17-70. It's 2.8 at the wide end which you'll use a lot in the streets, and as sharp as you could wish. Forget the primes unless you go for a Ltd (weight/size advantage).
01-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #24
Inactive Account

just a thought.

you're going to go through lots of lenses trying to figure this out... welcome to the party!

once you get some experience though...
my own feeling is that the manual focus, older pentax lenses are the pinnacle. the hard part is finding them in near new condition - don't trust ebay - you need to see them/handle them personally.

the pentax 28mm f2.8 is great.

likewise the 50mm f1.7 (which i like better than the FA50mm f1.4 - rendering and bokeh is a personal thing).

The one new lens i'd like is the new Voigtlander 58mm f1.4. Ordered it today, but still not in stock.