Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The whole point about black and white film versus digital black and white is an excellent one.

Most photogs who shoot B&W develop their own film and print their own on the right kind of paper, using whatever settings and filters they feel would give them the output they want to see.

We all know Ansel Adams didn't take photos and send them to the corner developing emporium so they could chose settings for him.

Yeah, most of the Nikons have a B&W preset, but as far as I'm concerned, no engineer is going to tell me what my B&W photos should look like. I will do my own and make them come out exactly how I want them to.

01-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #17

Very well put Frogroast! I agree completely.

Cheers,

Phil
01-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Yeah, most of the Nikons have a B&W preset, but as far as I'm concerned, no engineer is going to tell me what my B&W photos should look like. I will do my own and make them come out exactly how I want them to.
Frogroast,

I agree with you in one respect: I too want to have all the raw data--including color info--in order to do my own b&w conversions. But I think you're missing the point that others are making. With the other cameras, you can eat your cake and have it, too, that is, you can see your images as b&w on the camera--but you still get the full color raw file to work with later. And it's an option. You can use it if you like, or revert to the default color review mode. I believe that this is finally going to be possible with the K20D.

Will