Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
How to Upgrade Firmware?

Hi,

Would some kind soul please explain to me exactly how to upgrade the firmware version in have in my K10. I am not very well versed on the computer so a real "step by step" would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not really sure what you would need to know to help me with this but I have XP and the original firmware.

By searching previous threads I have learned that I need to do this in order to use my 540 flash wirelessly. That is my ultimate goal so please tell me if I need to do anything other than the upgrade.

By the way, how the heck do you add the smiley faces? When I clicked on a smiley face just this appeared.

Thanks for any help,
Robin

01-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't help you on the firmware update, but your smiley face is working just fine....
01-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Go to
Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates
to download the file...

Then, please note: this download file is not the firmware update file itself, but a compressed archive that must be expanded in the following step.

Next, double click the download file to expand it. Once expanded, you will see a readme text file (README.TXT) and the firmware update file itself (FWDC162B.BIN). The readme file contains instructions similar to what you are reading on this page.

You must now copy the firmware update file (FWDC162B.BIN) to your camera's memory card. When you connect the camera directly to your computer (or if you use a card reader), the memory card appears as a removable disk drive in the My Computer window.

Make sure you are using a blank/formatted memory card, then drag & drop (or copy & paste) the firmware update file (FWDC162B.BIN) from the desktop to your removable disk window, which is the camera's memory card. Please note: You must put the firmware update file (FWDC162B.BIN) directly onto the removable disk; it cannot be in any sub-folders. It must be on the top (or root) level of the removable disk.

Now that you have copied the firmware update file (FWDC162B.BIN) to your camera's memory card, you are ready to install it. Make sure your camera is turned off and disconnected from the computer. Make sure that the memory card containing the firmware update file is inserted into your camera. Also, make sure you that you have adequate power in your camera. We recommend you use a Pentax AC adapter to perform the firmware update, but if you do not have a Pentax AC adapter, make certain that your battery has a full charge.

To begin the update, turn your camera on while holding down the MENU button. If you have followed the above instructions precisely, the camera will begin to load the new firmware. You will see the message "NOW LOADING" then the camera will display the firmware update menu.
Select "YES" using your camera's 4-way controller (the default is "NO") then press your camera's OK button.
The camera will now update its firmware. This may take a couple of minutes, so be careful to not interrupt the process.

When the update is complete, you will see "COMPLETE" on your camera's LCD screen. Turn the camera off and remove the memory card.

With the memory card removed from the camera, check your new firmware version by turning the camera back on while holding down the MENU button. Before you begin to take pictures again, be sure to format your memory card to erase the firmware update file.

>>>>>>
If you have a specific question, ask again.
01-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well done, SpecialK! Robin, that's how I updated mine a few weeks back. I'll just add that, for Mac users, the file you download from the Pentax website should automatically decompress itself, so that step shouldn't be necessary.

By the way, what you saw when composing your message was the old school text smiley, which gets automatically converted into its graphic equivalent when the message is processed by the forum's server software. Ain't technology great?

01-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Well done, SpecialK! Robin, that's how I updated mine a few weeks back. I'll just add that, for Mac users, the file you download from the Pentax website should automatically decompress itself, so that step shouldn't be necessary.

By the way, what you saw when composing your message was the old school text smiley, which gets automatically converted into its graphic equivalent when the message is processed by the forum's server software. Ain't technology great?
Truth be told I just pasted it from the website and made it a bit easier to read. Not much else to as it seems straight-forward.

I left the Mac part off though
01-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
Forum Member

When the firmware is updated, do you lose all of your custom menu settings?
01-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdann Quote
When the firmware is updated, do you lose all of your custom menu settings?
I don't think so, but can't be 100% positive.
01-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great! Thank you very much everyone. In all the hullabaloo yesterday I forgot to check this thread. lol If I get up the courage I will attempt this later today.

And, yes, once my post was posted I could see that the smileys worked. The problem with not being very computer savvy is that you never know if your doing the right thing!

Thanks again, Robin

01-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am sorry to be so ignorant about this stuff but I have another question.

I went to the download page and the instructions state that you must have versions 1 through 1.20 already installed. I only have version 1. The page, however, does not offer downloads other than the most recent 1.30.

I emailed Pentax's help desk but have not heard anything in over 24 hours. Can any of you direct me as what to do next?

Thanks again and sorry to be a bother.

Robin
01-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #10

The Pentax site says:
"Make sure your camera currently has firmware version 1.00 through 1.20. Before starting the update, you can check your current firmware version by turning the camera on while holding down the MENU button."

I interpret that as meaning that any version would do. Normally though, if a prior version is required, the install simply won't happen.

On the down side, I can't guarantee anything...
01-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rzarbo Quote
I am sorry to be so ignorant about this stuff but I have another question.

I went to the download page and the instructions state that you must have versions 1 through 1.20 already installed. I only have version 1. The page, however, does not offer downloads other than the most recent 1.30.

I emailed Pentax's help desk but have not heard anything in over 24 hours. Can any of you direct me as what to do next?

Thanks again and sorry to be a bother.

Robin
I'm quite sure they mean you must have a version between 1.00 to 1.20 (both included).

In fact I updated my 1.00 version to 1.30 today.
01-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I was a little fearful about screwing something up in the camera if I did the wrong thing.

Thanks again for the reassurance.

Robin
01-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I did a firmware update per the instructions on the web site and went from 1.0 to 1.3 without a problem.
01-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
I did a firmware update per the instructions on the web site and went from 1.0 to 1.3 without a problem.
Me too. Only took a minute, well worth it!