Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Price for photo used on postcard?

I was just contacted out of the blue by a graphic designer from Canada, who wants to use an image of mine that his copywriter just happened to run across in a google search. It will be for a limited run of postcards for a business, probably 1,000 to 6,500.
Anyway, I am clueless as to how much to charge... anyone have suggestions of what would be reasonable?

Thanks.

Moderators, I honestly have no clue where this kind of post is suppose to go... go ahead and move it if need be.

06-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Based on my ex's work as an illustrator for greeting cards, the last offer she got was I believe around $100 an image with no rights if it was a big seller. Maybe someone has experience with pictures, I certainly don't. I'm surprised they didn't offer you something.
06-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

No matter the price (unless it is really high), just make sure you give them non-exclusive rights, and only for the limited run. But I would charge them something competitive with but still above what they'd have to pay from a stock agency under the same agreement...
06-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well charge enough to go out for dinner.

06-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well charge enough to go out for dinner.
Ya, at least. Here is the thing though, if I were you I would do some investigating on the requester and make sure it is not a stock shop that turns photos/images for profits. Usually a phone call can help in determining actual intent (if he/she will not talk to you on the phone then they are more than likely going to use it for other purposes than what they told you)...
06-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #6

You could check out GettyImages and use their cost calculator to see what similar images are going for, although that will probably be a little on the high end.
06-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your input. Yes, I've done a little checking on 'em and they're no shady business.
06-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It's been a long time since I've bought a postcard, but it doesn't sound like they're going to make a killing off of this, so they may not have a huge budget. $100 sounds reasonable to me. As was mentioned, license it for a limited print run and do not give them exclusive rights, but you might consider giving them a break on the price if they'll give you a credit on the back side. Having your work seen by others with a credit may be worth more to you than anything the postcard company can pay you.

06-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Cost usually is based on the print run. This varies considerably but they could get a photo from a stock site for print run up to 250,000 for $125 -175ish.

But never start too low. And as noted make sure that it is non-exclusive for that price. If they want exclusive then the price goes up.
06-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I should have specified, the graphic company is designing this postcard for a business's promotion — not for a postcard company.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how to make sure it's non-exclusive. I mean, I could tell them that it only allows such and such, etc. but how do I know whether or not they honor that?
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
I guess I should have specified, the graphic company is designing this postcard for a business's promotion not for a postcard company.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how to make sure it's non-exclusive. I mean, I could tell them that it only allows such and such, etc. but how do I know whether or not they honor that?
If you trust the company, just don't worry about that. (and enjoy your diner)
06-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You can't, and they often won't. Most businesses make contracts like that, and then they get filed away and no one pays attention to them whatsoever, and the people that work there think, "We bought this image -- we can do whatever we want with it." We licensed some wallpapers for cell phones to this company that sells them, but we didn't like their standard contract, so we had a lawyer put in some more restrictions and rights for auditing, etc. They agreed, but it was quite apparent that they treated our stuff no differently that others and just assumed their standard contract -- in other words they broke the agreement in the specific ways we put in there. But then you have to sue them.

BUT anyway, if it then shows up somewhere you CAN see it and is actually "worth something" -- like a huge ad campaign -- you'll have it in writing and be able to get some damages. Minor transgressions you'll never know anything about -- what are you gonna do?
06-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Non-exclusive just means that they don't get exclusive rights to use the image, i.e. you can still license it to someone else. And of course you still hold the copyright. Now as far as how do you know they'll only print 6500 and not 650,000? I guess you could ask for a copy of their invoice from the printing press.
06-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #14

I guess I should have specified, the graphic company is designing this postcard for a business's promotion — not for a postcard company.

Unfortunately I don't think you can. The only way is to keep an eye on the company to make sure they are using it in other material. You could consider offering them a rights managed license as well as a royalty-free licenses. So they can use it in their postcard campaign for $__ or use it in any promotional material for their business for $__.

Last edited by JenniferLeigh; 06-13-2012 at 02:25 PM.
06-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I sold a picture (non-exclusive) to a major Model Railway manufacturer to use on the cover of their latest catalogue (or catalog if you will) for 100 which is pretty much the same as buying a stock image. Print run 10000