Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
battery issue and firmware

I updated the fw but it made no difference. My K-X worked through batteries very quickly and had an unreliable battery meter - it never gave an accurate indication. The solution was simply to carry extra batteries and live with a less than perfect camera (along with the mirror vibration issue at 1/60s). AF was also not as good as on the K-R and so I replaced the K-X with the K-R, which is close to being a perfect camera for its type - at least the K-X issues were sorted out but never acknowledged by Pentax.

I really like the pentax body design and UI but the issues that most of their cameras carry were enough to close the door to further Pentax upgrades. In retrospect, if I had bought a K20, I think I'd still be using it and may not have bought the K-X.

06-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Carrying extra batteries fully charged is what I do. I'm upgrading to a K30 after a few have been out and used by forum members. ( I don't believe in buying something right away as soon as it comes out), rather someone else test before I jump in and buy.
06-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #18

Since almost 2 years I switched to Energizer Ultimate Lithium. In camera setting for Battery: Lithium (not Auto-detect). No problems so far. For me they last 3-6months of shooting. Firmware 1.02.
Before i had NiMh, and had those Battery-problems.& Battery depleted quickly - 1-2 days.

btw Rechargeables are 1.2V.....Normal/Alkaline/Lithium 1.5V....
06-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, but NiMH rechargeables hold their voltage under load *much* better than alkalines, so thy'll last far longer. BTW, when you mention how long your batteries last in days, that doesn't really help, because different people shoot different amounts. If you weren't getting 500 shots or more from your rechargeables, you probably had defective/inferior batteries.

06-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I use AA nmhd and they work fine.
06-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #21

I had last month, with lithium: around 3000 shots (~2000 outdoor,daylight + ~1000 nightshots: flash and long exposures).I do not shoot daily...
06-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chbett Quote
I had last month, with lithium: around 3000 shots (~2000 outdoor,daylight + ~1000 nightshots: flash and long exposures).I do not shoot daily...
Energiser Lithium batteries are good, but in the long run Eneloop with a smart charger is much more cost effective. I've got 9 sets of 4 rechargeable AA's, of which 3 sets are Eneloop, and the others brands like Varta, Ellies and Energiser. With Eneloop I get between 500 and 700 shots depending on circumstances, and the others between 300 and 400 shots. If you take the amount of times you can recharge Eneloop, and even including the cost of a smart charger, it is a no-brainer. If I know I'll be going somewhere where I'll not be able to recharge my batteries, I'll go for the Energiser Lithium.

However, if you are not prepared to invest in a smart charger, you might just as well only use lithium batteries.

06-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #23

Sorry for the late reply. I use Lithium Energizer batteries and they are used one time but last a lot longer than any battery I had ever used. Like Chbett usage, I'm more of a casual shooter and a set of batteries last for months. If you want to take the rechargeable route (also cheaper in the long run) use Sanyo Eneloop since they are the best. I had good experienced with off-brand rechargeable Nimh batteries that are 2700mAh or more since I already owned them and had used them in my Olympus P&S camera.